In the interest of science.........

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I like a bit of a likit bar, very nice! Accidentally tried fibre nuts once and did have a nibble of a Baileys horse treat which wasn't as good as I thought it would be :D

JustKickOn

Visit site
The molasses horse licks aren't great, the respiratory one is revolting. Pony nuts are like herby cardboard bites. Chaff isn't that appealing either. Hay is nice though!

Visit site
Love Likits! Baileys Outshine tastes ok, mixes tend to taste nicer too. I dont mind sugar beet but Speedibeat tastes like cardboard! Blergh! I'm a bit partial to some Alfa A too lol

throughtheforest

Visit site
This really is such a funny thread... I have never tasted anything on purpose.... but once i landed face first in, yeah you guessed it!

Needless to say the taste was as bad as the bruising....

pennyturner

Visit site
Not tempted to try thistle flowers, which the ponies adore above all else.
Nettles are popular with my neddies, but I prefer mine cooked (Ideally in buttery mashed potato, Mmmm!)

Brightbay

Visit site
The little black seeds that occasionally pop to the top of the micronised linseed are delicious :D But then, I like bread with linseeds sprinkled on it so I guess I was always going to eat the occasional one I find on my hand after mixing feeds! I agree, horse treats are suprisingly gritty...

BeingKate

Visit site
Another vote for likits... they should definitely bring out a human likit bar, I would buy it!!!! My other half is shocked that me and my horse actually share them... I suppose that is a bit disgusting... :p

FubsyMog

Visit site
Pony nuts are like herby cardboard bites.

I tried a bit of apple horse treat - they smelled amazing, but were just like really hard, tasteless cardboard. They must have tasted of something though as the horse loved them (she wouldn't eat any of the rosehips I brought her though).

Sometimes I think it would be great to be able to eat hay - would fill me up with few calories!

ETA: OH tried silage when he was a child. He said it was ok.

joulsey

Visit site
I ate a whole lickit when I was a teen. My cob didn't like it (shock horror!)..so I nibbled a bit....then slowly but surely I ate the whole lot eventually!

3OldPonies

Visit site
Not actually tried any pony food, but have in the past been tempted to add milk to the veteran mix when I was running late and my breakfast was in jeopardy. Now they're on soaked conditioning nuts and fast fibre the urge has gone way . . .

Ah. no wait a bit I forgot - I used to share Banana likit bars with P after riding - I think I liked them more than he did!

fburton

Visit site
Best: foal milk pellets - at least, in small quantities.

Yuck: soaked sugar beet - not sweet at all!

Worst: popped a sheep feed pellet at the Glasgow Garden Festival '88 and chewed. After 5 minutes of concerted chewing and a growing foul taste, I had to find a quiet corner (not easy!) to spit it out again.

cptrayes

Visit site
Calcined magnesite is just like grit.

Molglo desugared molasses is hardly sweet at all but still quite treacle flavored.

Horse and pony cubes are like a dry biscuit you put cheese on, but quite edible if you're hungry :)

turnbuckle

Visit site
Have just tried a high-fibre nut.

Despite quite a nice nutty initial taste, I think I'll be sticking to Polos for my cross-over menu!

Annagain

Visit site
Yuck: soaked sugar beet - not sweet at all!

Doesn't surprise me, it's made from what's left after the sugar is taken out. When I was in 4th form (year 10 to all you youngsters) I went on an exchange trip to France. We got taken by the French school on a trip to a Sugar / Sugar beet factory. They took the sugar out of the beet to refine and then turned the byproduct into animal feed. God knows why they thought it was interesting to a bunch of 15 yr old British towny kids (I was about the only country bumpkin) but I can still remember the smell which lingered on my coat the whole time I was in France as I couldn't (literally didn't have the vocab!) ask my exchange family to wash it. I have never fed my horses sugar beet since, the smell of that place was just too awful.