In two minds....advice please?

hunting mad

Visit site
I have the most wonderful little westie.She is the best dog i have ever had.So loyal,always with me if im out on the farm or in the house.(i trip over her several times a day as she is right behind me!!)She has the most fantastic temperament,and i love her to bits!!
She is now 10 years old,and just starting to slow down a small amount.I have been thinking about getting another dog to be with her in the hope that some of her traits will rub off on the "new" dog.
I know i will never,ever be able to replace my westie,and wouldnt even want to try as i will fail miserably.
Im really in two minds if i should bring a new dog into the house.
Advice and thoughts?

Spudlet

Visit site
I think it depends on the dog you want to bring in and your own dog - for some dogs of that age, a bouncy pup would be a bit too much to cope with, and a slightly older dog would be better. I would have a look at rescues as you can take your dog to meet the potential new dog to make sure they get on before you bring it home.

Luci07

Visit site
Brilliant idea and you will be able to see if your bitch will accept another dog. I left it too late with my previous staffie bitch and she did not want another dog in her house. This time I have three staffords plus visiting dogs!

hunting mad

Visit site
Im not going to look just now as still on crutches :(
When i do start to look,im not sure rescues will touch me as we live on a farm and dont really have a garden,also i have a 4 year old boy,again alot of rescues are against small children,even though he has been brought up with animals and knows to leave them alone.
Where do you suggest i look?

islander

Visit site
I have had many dogs over the years and have very luckily had no trouble introducing other dogs into the house; all my dogs have been rehomed/rescue dogs of varying ages. I have kept terriers, spaniels, a cavalier, and lurchers and they have all accepted the newcomer(s), even those at puppy stage. I think my philosophy of `keep an eye on things and let them get on with it` has helped. They have sorted things out themselves, have plenty of exercise to keep them busy and a lot of human company. Other dogs have stayed here while friends are on holiday and there are many doggy visitors on a regular basis. Some breeds are of course more tolerant and possessive of their owners and their own space, and a very old dog can be set in its ways more than a youngster.
As your West Highland is still fit and only just slowing down, you may find that she gets a new lease of life with a dog companion.