Increase in hay prices

MHLindsay

New User
Visit site
Hi I am doing a dissertation for my degree about the increase in hay prices verus the increase in horses for sale.
To help me collect me data i would love to know:
- What you are paying for a standard hay bale now
- How much you were paying for a bale of hay 2 years ago
- Area you live
- If you have noticed an increase in horses for sale in your area
Thanks!

ickle

Visit site
This year I have paid £45 a bale for big round bales. Two years ago I paid £3.50 for small conventional bales (I think you get 8-10 conventional bales in a round bale).
I live in East Anglia.
I haven't been looking for horses for sale but I believe the market is a bit stangnant at the moment so prices aren't high. In many cases sellers are selling for what they can get rather than what it's worth.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
- £2.50 a small bale of meadow hay
- didn't have to pay as had enough of my own crop, but the going rate was £2
- South Lincolnshire
- no, not really an increase, but a drop in prices, I think it has more to do with general economic climate rather than increase in hay prices.

rcm_73

Visit site
£3.00 per standard bale as opposed to £2 two years ago.
North Wales area.
Market appears stagnant, prices are low, a dealer I know hasn't sold one pony all summer!

cellie

Visit site
Norfolk paying £26 for large bale haylage £15 for small rounds or £25 large hay .2 years ago paid £16 for large hay bale ,same suppliers are selling same item for £35 now but I wont pay that if I can get same quality elsewhere.

KarynK

Visit site
In the south hay is on average £6 a bale two years ago it was £3.50.

I have a big rectangle bale of hay (12 conventional bales) it cost me £60, last year it was £32.50 and the year before £30. Haylage is £45 and was £32.50 last year a few years ago it was £20.

The reason was the weather in this area, a drought through the whole summer meant grass crops were severely affected and there is a shortage here of hay particularly, so everyone was frantically bailing in the autumn as well.

I should imagine that the market for horses is severely depressed Personally I am making no effort to sell any of my youngsters unless I know or know of the buyer because I would never forgive myself should they end up being mistreated because the new owner cannot afford to feed them!

Just thought there is the New Forest Pony sales in a week or so, it might be worth contacting auctioneers around the country for comparative prices for your data? There are several around the country including the TB sales at Ascot for horses in training, these would all be the bottom end of the market so would give you a good indication of the state of the market.

Last edited:

Sarah2207

Visit site
Paying £45/round bale, and was quoted £7 per small bale delivered in August from our usual supplier (hence using rounds!) 2 years ago small bales ranged from £2.50-3.00. I am in Kent.
Not so much a rise in number of horses for sale, but perhaps less buyers, and cheaper prices.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Two years ago we made our own haylage, which worked out at £9/big bale. The following year, when the fields were too wet to mow, we bought in really good haylage at £25/big bale. At the end of winter we changed to hay, and were paying £3.00 per small bale. In summer it went up to £3.50, then £4, and the last delivery was £5/bale. Our supplier is a very honest man, who says the panic buying is pushing prices up and up.

L&M

Visit site
- Current small hay bales - £2.50 for standard quality/£4 for high quality
- 2 yrs ago - £2.00 for standard/£3 higher quality
- Shropshire
- No marked increase in local horse sales, but would say a different picture nationally

Hope that helps!

spaniel

Visit site
Panic buying and unscrupulous dealers have pushed small bale prices from £3.50 to up to £6 here in the space of 6 months. I have heard one merchant joke (I hope) that he might even get up to £10 a small bale by christmas.

The market for sales is stagnant and most people are hanging onto good horses but thightening their own belts - a lot.