Increase in price of supplements in general and NAF in particular

CBAnglo

Visit site
Has anyone noticed a rather steep increase in the price of supplements recently? I am sure the usual size of NAF superflex I buy (3.2kgs) has increased between £10 - £20 (depending on suppplier) in the last couple of months. I normally buy in bulk every few months so maybe I didnt notice a gradual increase?

If anyone knows a good website for superflex let me know!

Kenzo

Visit site
I paid £19.99 for my tub last week and I was told it was the small tub, not tried it before so its the first time I've bought the Naff one, off subject slighly but do you find that it is good?

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
I used to buy Naf 5* Superflex - the big square tub (not sure on weight?) l and it cost £52. I saw some in the local shop recently for £56. I switched over to a different joint formula in early December though - it is more expensive (about £70/3 months) but amazing.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Hi Kenzo

Well, it has worked for my arthritic one in the sense that it has made a difference where others havent - hasnt fixed him though. Is it for Mac?

I have tried absolutely everything for him, including Riaflex, synequin, cortaflex, extraflex, equiflex, premierflex, mobifor, arthriaid, Pure glucosamine and MSM, Pernamax, apple cider vinegar and probably about a million others that I have forgotten. The only ones I havent tried are cosequin (my vet said since the synequin made no difference whatsover not to bother), NJS and suppleaze. None of them made any difference whatsover, despite trying each of them for at least 3 months (sometimes 4 depending on the quantity bought) but if he misses one day of superflex he can barely move.

It is like most things - really depends on the horse. He is currently on a rather complex combination of competition level superflex, maintenance level mobifor (basically vet strength superflex) and the remains of a tub of premier flex at maintenance dose (but I wont be buying another tub of it as I didnt notice any difference). He gets far more than the daily recommended levels of glucosamine, msm and chronditon on this combination, but I found it to be more effective than just feeding superflex on its own. But he is a very extreme case!

My other one is on the competition dose of superflex and he is noticeably less stiff on his leg with the ligament injury. You can really tell the difference in winter I think!

Yes - £19.99 is for the small tub.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Really? which supplement are you trying?

Interesting that no-one else has noticed a price increase, it may just be the superflex? I dont use any of the other NAF stuff except for Respirator (sometimes) but it has been so long since I bought that I cant remember how much it was.

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but will look tonight and let you know. It was £79.99 for 3 months worth, and £27.95 for 1 month but it does seem to make a difference. Apparently it is brilliant for arthritics too - I'll get the name of it as soon as I can.

teddyt

Visit site
I think naf supplements are expensive compared to others, you pay for their heavy marketing!

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it has worked for my arthritic one in the sense that it has made a difference where others havent - hasnt fixed him though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately no joint supplement will cure a problem but they work to minimise further deterioration by providing the joints with the nutrition they need and certain ingredients (msm, glucosamine) can also have an anti-inflammatory effect. Superflex contains less glucosamine than some of the other supplements you have tried so it is probably the addition of another ingredient/herb that is helping your horse.

Have you tried boswellia? There are also other herbs specific to arthritis such as celery seed and others to improve blood flow to the limbs, hence supplying nutrients and removing toxins- buckwheat and hawthorn are two of these.

Kenzo

Visit site
Thanks for your detailed reply, glad you went into it actually as it was interesting to see what you found worked for yours and why you use it, no its not for Mackenzie, I thought I'd try it for the other one I currently have on loan, I wanted to see if a joint supplement would make any difference to him or at least help or prevent any futher joint problems in the future, I'm having the vet over to have a chat with him about a few things (possible ringbone and perhaps the need for some corrective shoeing/trimming due to his box foot) so it could be that a joint suppliment might not make a blind bit of difference but I think he's that type to have joint problems so I thought I'd stick him on it anyway.

CBAnglo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think naf supplements are expensive compared to others, you pay for their heavy marketing!

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it has worked for my arthritic one in the sense that it has made a difference where others havent - hasnt fixed him though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately no joint supplement will cure a problem but they work to minimise further deterioration by providing the joints with the nutrition they need and certain ingredients (msm, glucosamine) can also have an anti-inflammatory effect. Superflex contains less glucosamine than some of the other supplements you have tried so it is probably the addition of another ingredient/herb that is helping your horse.

Have you tried boswellia? There are also other herbs specific to arthritis such as celery seed and others to improve blood flow to the limbs, hence supplying nutrients and removing toxins- buckwheat and hawthorn are two of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually meant that as a joke - of course I know it wont fix him! Nothing will and I have tried Tildren, steroid injections and IRAP so I definitely know first hand!

I have already tried boswellia (for pain relief and anti-inflammatory) and celery seed (didnt do a thing) as well as rosehips etc. trust me, I have tried basically everything available for arthritis.

Superflex does have less glucosamine at the maintenance rate which is why I feed the competition rate (which gives the daily requirement) in addition to Mobifor - it is the way the ingredients in superflex work together which make a difference for my horse. As I said, I have tried the other supplements with "higher specs" (although you always have to check the maintenance levels not the loading rate) and they havent done anything for my horse whereas superflex made enough difference that my vet and Sue Dyson noticed a difference which is good enough for me!

CBAnglo

Visit site
Oh is this the big WB? He is quite big moving isnt he? I guess it wont hurt. You should double dose for the first 7-10 days and then feed at the maintenance rate - I found that to be the best method.

I can see a difference within 2 days with both of mine. They are noticeably more stiff if they miss a day and then it takes about 2 days to load again in their systems. Joint supplements work over a long time frame hence why I have trialled things for 3-4 months, but I notice very quickly with superflex - there is no difference when they have been taken off the other supplements. I have tried it several times as well to make sure that it wasnt just a coincidence.

Hope the vet gives him the all clear and he is fine with some remedial shoeing. He's lovely!

SO1

Visit site
I dont know if VAT is chargable on these items but VAT has gone by 2.5 percent back to 17.5 % so that might make some difference.

Solstar

Visit site
We sell NAF in the shop I work in- there's been no price increase from NAF (our suppliers) to us so we haven't increased any prices, but if the other shops get it from another supplier it may have gone up.

Kenzo

Visit site
Yes the big ginger WB, arrr right well I didnt load/double dose, I've just been giving him 3 scoops per day and he's been on it since 29/12/09 (just looked at the receipt as it was still in my purse) so does that mean that what I've been giving him so far wouldnt of made any difference if it was going to make any difference... well I mean an in helping to aid his joints, wasn't expecting visible results but just tying to keep him in good health.

He's also on cider vinegar, because I found this really helped with my other old TB when he was still in light work.

Should I be giving him 6 scoops per day for from now on for the next 7 to 10 days then? then back to 3?

Thank you for your help
smile.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
I think that must have been it. I definitely paid a lot less for it a couple of months ago (at least £10) - bought it online but even then I remember there was a discrepancy between suppliers.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Yeah, that is what I did when I took mine off when he went to AHT for assessment. He had it the first 3 days and then not for the next 3 days and there was a big difference in mobility.

I then double dosed him but I havent reduced it since. he is only ickle though - 15.2hh not like your boy!

I would double dose (6 scoops but they are only tiny) for a week then go to maintenance to see. Not sure how long the small tubs last, I get the 3.2kg ones and they last about 3-4 months with 1 horse on double and the other on maintenance. I have just bought the 9.6kg tub (cost over £200!!! but managed to get 23% off the RRP) so that should last me almost a year hopefully.

Kenzo

Visit site
Ok I will do that thanks, hmm well the tub was practially half empty when I opened it lol, bit like Walkers crips, you buy half a packet! lol, so I don't think this small tub will even last me a week on 6 scoops but if then its a waste of money and not a fair trial its not donig the job on 3 scoops.
smile.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
I know - the 3.2kg ones could fit easily into a 1.6kg tub. I used to transfer it, to save room but now cant be bothered as it doesnt sit around as long.

Most joint supplements require you to do a loading period which really eats through the tub. Extraflex was the worst one - I got two massive sacks of the stuff and had to load up for ages so it only last about 2 months as the scoops were HUGE and looked to be mostly linseed.

Kenzo

Visit site
Is it supposed to state on the tub then about the loading period? because I don't think I noticed it, I'll have another look tonight, I think the same question once came up before about another Naff product (can't remember off hand what it was though) about a loading period that wasnt stated but then someone else said it was on there tub....
confused.gif
hmmm oh well I'll have a gander again.
smile.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
No - it used to say it on there, but then they changed the packaging. I think it still says it on the website though. I just remember doing it as I have experiented a number of times taking him off it and then putting him back on so it is the rule I use.

I have found that most joint supplements require a loading period unless you have already been feeding a joint supplement. Even when I fed synequin and riaflex, the loading period was quite long (and you wouldnt believe how expensive that white powder was!)

brucea

Visit site
Try giving your horse the linseed meal (Charnwood 20Kg for £25 at 500gr a day)

It'll give him a great coat, helps his hooves, and is very good for joints. Lots of Omega 3 and 6.

I've tried all the expensive powders - and this was really the very best.

wysiwyg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone noticed a rather steep increase in the price of supplements recently? I am sure the usual size of NAF superflex I buy (3.2kgs) has increased between £10 - £20 (depending on suppplier) in the last couple of months. I normally buy in bulk every few months so maybe I didnt notice a gradual increase?

If anyone knows a good website for superflex let me know!

[/ QUOTE ]

the slight increase will be due to VAT returning to 17.5% from 15%
smile.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
No - the increase was £16.90 from the same supplier (surrey equestrian). I was a bit sad and looked up my order history and I paid £77.15 for it last year and it is £94.05 this year. The VAT increase would only be a couple of pounds (but its zero rated anyway so doesnt apply here).