Increase in value post backing

cundlegreen

Visit site
Another option if the horse has the right breeding and conformation, is to try and find a good competitive rider and offer them a half share in the horse if they keep, back and compete. If he's smart enough, both could make some money out of him, and the breeder could have the fun of going to watch him compete.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
He's going to be tricky to sell because of his age whatever you do now I think. Best to advertise him and start backing him perhaps.

Of course he might be just what someone is looking for. If I saw a big palo welsh D not backed at 7 I'd still be interested but nothing else would pique my interest in that situation.

Last edited:

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Re the increase in value part of your post, we sent away a three year old to be professionally lightly backed and ridden on with a view to sale. Everything went according to plan, but of course he took longer to sell than we had hoped. We cleared the cost of the professional fees, and the horse has gone to a good home, with a great start to his ridden career. I suppose we would probably have made more money if (and it's a big if, dependent on if he'd sold) we'd sold him unbacked for a few hundred quid but he's had a fabulous start, which was more important to us than the money.