Incredible Isleham!

loopiesteff

Visit site
So today we went on our journeys (all of 5 minutes up the road!) to Isleham!

Firstly, the ground was lovely! A bit soft in places but a million times better than I thought it'd be after hundreds of horses over it!

Me in my new tweed :)

B0346940-E1CF-45BA-8815-08B41E5ADE62.jpg

So, the dressage: 43. Humpf. Felt it harsh but hey ho! Felt like our best test on grass, Bob HATES dressage on grass :( video here:

http://youtu.be/M6MbQFcqWtU

Next up, the SJ! I always get myself in a pickle with the SJ, worry about it FAR too much, then end up over riding, and it all going wrong. Got to the warm up and there only 2 before me! Umm'd and ahh'd about being pushed down the list, but Bob was already warmed up from dressage immediately before so decided to just go for it and get it done, giving me no time to get stressed out about it! Warmed up nicely, and went in. Had 3 poles down, but I don't care, we've had so many problems with stops and run outs I just wanted to get round. He rarely touches poles so know that it's not a common problem. He was definitely on go go go and had near on zero control round the course! Video here:

http://youtu.be/xOcJ6ot5yNc

Had about half an hour then headed upto the XC warm up! Nice variety of about 7 fences to choose from! Warmed up over a few logs then went for the upright rails (as they were almost identical to fence 6 on course, just without the ditch underneath!) I couldn't see a stride, so held, then kicked on, then just sat there like a blimp. Poor Bob left a front leg behind, throwing me forward. Somehow he managed to clamber over the fence, then shot out sideways to the right: Steff exit stage left! Landed from 10ft in the air directly onto my head.

82677001-119B-4416-A082-9B8CD44532EC.jpg

34F60D7E-D221-4FBE-82CD-54C40E05652E.jpg

Stage prompt: paramedics, ambulance driving straight into the warm up, doctors etc. So there I am, lying on the landing side of a fence, what does a competitor do? Jump it, then have to yank his horse away so he doesn't practically ride on top of me! He then proceeded to say "she's in my way, can't you move her?" I swear if I was allowed to get up I would have pulled him off his horse so quick and beat the hell out of him! So rude! The paramedics quickly put him in his place and he buggered off! Got to me feet and went over to the doctors tent to get checked out, all the time Bob is just stood there like a lemon! Got the all clear to go on course, so got back on, popped the rails twice (perfect both times, Bob giving it extra air!) and off we went! Flew round the first 6 fences, Trakhener? What Trakhener? Flew it like a dude :) got to number 7, a chest/roll too thing, then down into the water for a simple splash through, and there was something like a green box in the dyke next to the fence. Well that was it, Bob wouldn't go near it. 3 refusals, off we go home :( so day ended crap on paper, and the doctors left my house not long ago as I'm really not feeling great (concussion) but I DID have a good day!

Purchased photo: http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums...oads/2B6FD785-0CAB-4416-A392-1BAB3205E421.jpg

Fence judging tomorrow for the Novice & Int so say hi if you see a big black 4x4 with 2 people and a caged terrier in the back :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Not what I expected from the title. Hope you're ok and do find out who the rude idiot was who almost jumped on you - would love to publicly name and shame!

Onwards and upwards. You both look very smart in the photo if that's any consolation!

becca1305

Visit site
Such a shame that your day didn't go to plan :(. Bob looks lovely though and very smart! Strangely enough I was reading the new rule change on suspected concussions in BE, but not sure how it would fit as in your case where onsite concussion wasn't suspected(?) but delayed response afterwards. http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-...turnUrl=/asp-net/news/default.aspx?section=59
How incredibly rude, ignorant and selfish of the other rider, some people really do beggar belief!
Hope you have a wonderful day fence judging :).

siennamum

Visit site
Well you have gotten a few demons out of the way nice and early in the season. Sounds like you were both just a bit rusty, hope you're feeling better now.
Cannot believe anyone could be as inconsiderate as that rider.

loopiesteff

Visit site
I wouldn't have said rusty, as I've been fairly luckily that I've managed to ride all through this weather, take him out SJ-ing and XC schooling, to the forest etc. I think it's more "the first event getting your eye back in" - and I never liked Isleham anyway, was supposed to go to Aston instead! Lol! So I've done well to face my demons in competing at a place I don't like!

I set my alarm for every 3 hours overnight, suggested by a friend to make sure I'm OK, as I'm home alone so no-one to wake me. Woken up this morning to go for fence judging and I've got a headache (not surprising) and the left side of my neck is very stiff but other than that, I got away with it very well I'd say!

glamourpuss

Visit site
Do you know what Stef, as a RL friend I'm going to be all slushy here & tell you that I'm incredibly proud of you! [soppy git alert]

Firstly just a disappointing dressage can be enough to have most of us whinging & moaning but not you....oh no you take a disappointing dressage, a fall in the warm up & then an XC elimination & your report is still smiley & positive & full of love for your pony. Bloody GOOD FOR YOU!!
Sometimes here on HHO it can feel unless you are scoring a 22 dressage & a clear SJ & XC (which felt so easy) then there is no point posting, so reading a report which is warts & all but still full of smiles is bloomin' fab.

I hope you realise that reading your report has probably done more to dispel the demons from my disappointing Lt Downham last season than a full winter of training. Thank you x

Rosiefan

Visit site
Well done for carrying on at all after that fall and I couldn't agree more with glamourpuss. You've taken all the positives from a less than perfect day and written a super report. With your attitude you'll soon be in the ribbons I'm sure.
By the way - you will be getting a new hat immediately won't you ;)

TableDancer

Visit site
Do you know what Stef, as a RL friend I'm going to be all slushy here & tell you that I'm incredibly proud of you! [soppy git alert]

Firstly just a disappointing dressage can be enough to have most of us whinging & moaning but not you....oh no you take a disappointing dressage, a fall in the warm up & then an XC elimination & your report is still smiley & positive & full of love for your pony. Bloody GOOD FOR YOU!!
Sometimes here on HHO it can feel unless you are scoring a 22 dressage & a clear SJ & XC (which felt so easy) then there is no point posting, so reading a report which is warts & all but still full of smiles is bloomin' fab.

I hope you realise that reading your report has probably done more to dispel the demons from my disappointing Lt Downham last season than a full winter of training. Thank you x

Whata fantastic reply - OP, you should frame it!

Well done on surviving a trying day, we all have them, hope thr next one is altogether more enjoyable. And as GP said, double well done for staying so positive :)

only_me

Visit site
Wow! Definitely an eventful day!! V rude of the other competitor, no manners at all.

Hope you aren't feeling too sore today :)

Imonone

Visit site
Wow Steph what a great report! I only wish that I had half your gumption. I might pin your post to read before I go out competing so that I get a grip. Really well done!

Hope youve had a great day today.

mil1212

Visit site

This Absolutely! From the thread title to the way you wrote it sounded as if you may as well have done that!! Cannot believe the person in the collecting ring saying that, such odd behaviour, hope it wasn't a pro.
Great report, and lovely photos, hope you are feeling better soon, concussion can come back and bite you!

Madali

Visit site
I saw the paramedics in the warm up and your horse standing very quietly wondering what was going on. Bad luck. At least the sun was shining for us and you got round most of the course. The ditch caused quiet a few problems as did the SJ. I was grateful for that as it propelled me up to 10th place in my section as I was double clear on a fairly average dressage score. Hope you feel better soon

loopiesteff

Visit site
This Absolutely! From the thread title to the way you wrote it sounded as if you may as well have done that!! Cannot believe the person in the collecting ring saying that, such odd behaviour, hope it wasn't a pro.
Great report, and lovely photos, hope you are feeling better soon, concussion can come back and bite you!

I couldn't think of a decent "I" word to go with Isleham. I thought Injured Isleham was a bit pants, incredible in the sense of everything that happened in one day!

BeckyD

Visit site
What glamour puss said, although I could never have said it so well! At least you've got some bad luck out of the way at the start of the season, so it's onwards and upwards from here :)

Hope you aren't too sore today and that the concussion goes soon!

loopiesteff

Visit site

A bless you Hun :) thank you! I'm nothing special, just a mere amateur (and a poor one at that!) just out to have fun!

By the way - you will be getting a new hat immediately won't you ;)

I will indeed :)

Wow Steph what a great report! I only wish that I had half your gumption. I might pin your post to read before I go out competing so that I get a grip. Really well done!

Hope youve had a great day today.

Had a quiet day today, was on the last fence all day so was very easy and quiet (quite a relief!) I definitely had the better weather yesterday!

What a day! Hope you're feeling better. Well done for getting back on and doing a good job :)

Not getting back on isn't an option for me really... Went straight back over the rails I fell at twice, then straight out on course. If I'd fanny arsed about, I might not have gone on course at all. Best to crack on I say!

I saw the paramedics in the warm up and your horse standing very quietly wondering what was going on.

Bob is a complete angel bless him. Nothing will ever faze that man!

What glamour puss said, although I could never have said it so well! At least you've got some bad luck out of the way at the start of the season, so it's onwards and upwards from here :)

Hope you aren't too sore today and that the concussion goes soon!

Indeed, definitely hope no more falls like that are scheduled! Lol! My neck is very stiff and painful today, and have had a constant headache but I'll keep fighting on! Saw Bob this afternoon and he was his normal "old man, dopey like nothing had happened, lovable, cuddly" self :)

EveningStar

Visit site
eeek hope you are feeling better soon
Sounds like even if it wasn't a great day on paper you had an outing, got through it and onwards and upwards for the next one
Bob looks a bit cool by the way :)

loopiesteff

Visit site
eeek hope you are feeling better soon
Sounds like even if it wasn't a great day on paper you had an outing, got through it and onwards and upwards for the next one
Bob looks a bit cool by the way :)

Haha Bob is a lot cool :) for an old boy! His behaviour is impeccable. Was tied up by the trailer in the sun, with people jumping the 100 course next to us, people shouting and splashing through the water, and he just snoozed away. While I was putting his studs in, the lead rope was over his shoulders and he just stood there while someone was lunging a very lively horse next to us! Can't ask for a better behaved horse!

loopiesteff

Visit site
A little update... I went to A&E on Monday as the headaches were manically painful. After describing my aches and pains, once I'd been prodded, and screamed, I was immediately strapped to a spinal board, neck collar, completely immobilised. They sent me off for a CT scan and the results were shocking.

1. I actually DO have a brain!

2. I have a slight hairline skull fracture!

I'm having a week off work, drugged up to the eyeballs on a lovely cocktail of drugs, and I'm extremely bored. Doctors said I can continue to ride as soon as I feel well to do so! Going to try this afternoon. Nothing extravagant, just a small plod around and see how it goes!

lex2501

Visit site
Gosh what a nasty fall and thank god you went for further investigation! I hope you get better soon :) Beautiful horse, and we could all learn a thing or two from you about looking on the bright side :) Thank you for sharing!!!

loopiesteff

Visit site
Yea I'm glad I went back... Just think what could have happened if I fell again on an already cracked head :/ Urgh. Makes me shudder!

I'm supposed to be BD-ing tomorrow, but we shall see how I get on today. Don't panic, I'm not going to ignore pain etc. if I feel dizzy or anything, I'll be off Bob straight away!

AND, I'll be purchasing a new hat today :)

HotToTrot

Visit site
A little update... I went to A&E on Monday as the headaches were manically painful. After describing my aches and pains, once I'd been prodded, and screamed, I was immediately strapped to a spinal board, neck collar, completely immobilised. They sent me off for a CT scan and the results were shocking.

1. I actually DO have a brain!

2. I have a slight hairline skull fracture!

I'm having a week off work, drugged up to the eyeballs on a lovely cocktail of drugs, and I'm extremely bored. Doctors said I can continue to ride as soon as I feel well to do so! Going to try this afternoon. Nothing extravagant, just a small plod around and see how it goes!

I'm not sure what to reply to first! Well down on getting back on and going for it, on the one hand, and oh my goodness, thank heavens you didn't fall again, on the other hand! Your XC round sounds v good, given the fall in the warm up. It is so unsettling to have a bad warm up!

I really hope you recover soon.

HotToTrot

Visit site
I'm not sure what to reply to first! Well down on getting back on and going for it, on the one hand, and oh my goodness, thank heavens you didn't fall again, on the other hand! Your XC round sounds v good, given the fall in the warm up. It is so unsettling to have a bad warm up!

I really hope you recover soon.

Oh and I meant to say ha ha ha... You found out that you have a brain! Phew! Good to know!

montanna

Visit site
Eeek how scary! Glad you are ok - and take it easy!

I must say your outlook and attitude is really refreshing and super inspiring. We all love a good moan when we have had a rubbish on paper day, when really, all that matters is that you enjoy yourself.

Well done :)

AbFab

Visit site
Ooft! I can totally empathise with the concussion - I did the same on Sunday! Hope you're feeling better now.

Aside from the obvious, it does actually sound like quite a positive trip out. Onwards and upwards!