Independent Seat

oldie48

Visit site
I think having a strong core helps and there are loads of exercises on the web that you can try or go to a pilates class, even better equi pilates. Also doing balance stuff on a big ball helps. The other thing I'd check is your saddle jut to make sure it puts you in a good position and isn't tipping you out of balance. I'm riding in a temporary saddle ATM and I am shocked at how poorly I am riding and am sure it's the saddle. the other thing that comes to mind is it's much easier to sit well on a balanced horse that is through and using it's back properly.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Riding without stirrups, getting a decent lunge lesson and riding without stirrups and reins, riding in two point (with and without stirrups), and actually playing games like mounted games can really help too.

only_me

Visit site
Lunge lesson without stirrups, jumping without stirrups down a grid. Riding without a saddle but I've found wither height to be the main deciding factor in going saddle less or not - Rode mine once without a saddle and was to never be repeated faster than a walk, has withers like a razor bade :oops:

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to book some lunge lessons : ) Really need to be more secure in my position so I can ride more effectively & do my boy justice!

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
Lunge lesson without stirrups, jumping without stirrups down a grid. Riding without a saddle but I've found wither height to be the main deciding factor in going saddle less or not - Rode mine once without a saddle and was to never be repeated faster than a walk, has withers like a razor bade :oops:

Eek, sounds painful!

SpringArising

Visit site
I think 80% of being a good, balanced and secure rider is having a really decent, strong core.

Pilates is amazing for strengthening your whole body, and particularly your stomach muscles. Having a strong core also comes in very handy for being able to support yourself in the case of a dirty run out! The first thing I feel working when a horse has a run out is my core.

In terms of exercises, like someone else said, rising trot with no stirrups, canter and trot poles in half seat WITHOUT using the horse's mouth to support you, walking around in half-seat with your hands on your hat, rising to the canter. Virtually anything that makes you think 'This is hard!' when you first do it!

oldie48

Visit site
The trouble with doing no stirrup work is unless you already have a decent independent seat on any horse that has bigger paces it is idifficult not to start gripping up and balancing on your hands, which rather defeats the object of the exercise. I know if I had tried riding Bisto without stirrups, he would have tightened his back and I'd have found it impossible to stay put. Lunge lessons are great but I went for some and found I was given a huge moving Friesan which was far too wide for me, when what I needed was something more comfortable and accommodating, so if you do go for lunge lessons it's worth thinking about that. However, there is no short cut to strengthening your core, you just have to do the work!

Littlebear

Visit site
The trouble with doing no stirrup work is unless you already have a decent independent seat on any horse that has bigger paces it is idifficult not to start gripping up and balancing on your hands, which rather defeats the object of the exercise. I know if I had tried riding Bisto without stirrups, he would have tightened his back and I'd have found it impossible to stay put. Lunge lessons are great but I went for some and found I was given a huge moving Friesan which was far too wide for me, when what I needed was something more comfortable and accommodating, so if you do go for lunge lessons it's worth thinking about that. However, there is no short cut to strengthening your core, you just have to do the work!

I agree with the no stirrups part here, the lunge lessons will be the most helpful thing you can possibly do in this situation.

Away from being on a horse there are a few rider pilates dvds you can do, I have the Gemma Tattersall dvd so you could buy something like that or try youtube but make sure you are doing it regularly enough to make a difference not just now and again.

alainax

Visit site
From years of riding a very big moving horse! Before I must have been kidding myself on!

I attended one of Sylvia Lochs balance workshops, and changed my way of going. Instead of being (unknowingly) “perched and grippy” I draped my legs around allowing the weight of the legs to stretch down into the stirrups. She has a few nice books which explain the concept better than I can.

Beth206

Visit site
I have been having lessons on a simulator with a dressage instructor. I'm only on my third lesson and feel it has made quite a significant change to my position already.

I like the fact that you can concentrate on your seat and aids and don't have to worry about the horse.

The only downside is I'm quite obsessed with trying to maintain a natural pelvis and keep my torso tall so at my desk, in the car, on the sofa... I can't stop!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
That's perfect though. If you slouch most of the time you will revert to slouching when riding. If you are straight, you will be straight riding.

I was dreadfully wonky but have really tried with pilates this year and according to the simulator there is a huge difference in my position .

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Get a second hand IJoy Ride from ebay.

When you can sit to it, with still feet and hands, you have an independent seat. If your feet are moving you have just braced, ditto with hands.