Individual Grazing

JJS

Visit site
I think some choose it because they'd prefer to skip a potential expensive vet bill/broken horse.

But individual turnout won't always achieve this. I lost my mare in May after 4 1/2 years with her. For every one of those years she was turned out in a herd with no problems. On the day that she broke her leg in the field, only her and my little Welsh were out, grazing perfectly happily side by side. I called them, both came cantering up the field, she slipped and broke her right hind. Would the same thing have happened if she'd been on individual turnout? Yes. Would she have been as happy? No. The point is, we never know when we'll lose them or when they'll get injured, so I'd prefer to make sure that my horses are happy whilst they're here.

oldie48

Visit site
Having stood and watched my two gelding groom each other last night, i have to say I'm not a fan of individual turnout as they don't get the interaction with another horse that I think they need. however, a friend, who keeps her horse at a yard where everything is turned out together with little opportunity to introduce new horses slowly, has had 3 incidents with her new horse being hurt which has resulted in weeks of box rest. She used to be a fan, of what she described as the natural way for horses to live, I think she's less enthusiastic now. I prefer mares and gelding to be separate if possible and would always try to have an even number of horses so each can have a pair bond. Doesn't always work, of course, but with a little thought and time taken to introduce new horses properly, it can help to minimise the risk of injuries.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My grey isn't adverse to sorting out what she wants if the silly humans get it wrong. I wouldn't put it past her to pop over the fence to join her mates if I turned her out in an individual paddock.

Casey76

Visit site
At my current yard we mainly turn out in pairs, though we have some which are on individual t/o. Both of mine are pretty independent horses, and I've never seen them groom each other, even after a year of being t/o together, though they will call if I take only one out.

My previous yard had group turnout, in a herd of 20 or so, and my old horse was forever coming in with cuts, scrapes and bite wounds, mainly because it wasn't a stable herd (being a riding school) and new horses were coming in all the time. Winter turn out was effectively scrapped from last year, when one of the competition school horses ended up with a broken shoulder (pts) after getting into a squabble over hay. I haven't been back to that yard for over a year so I don't know what their current t/o policy is.

Last edited:

MS123

Visit site
But individual turnout won't always achieve this. I lost my mare in May after 4 1/2 years with her. For every one of those years she was turned out in a herd with no problems. On the day that she broke her leg in the field, only her and my little Welsh were out, grazing perfectly happily side by side. I called them, both came cantering up the field, she slipped and broke her right hind. Would the same thing have happened if she'd been on individual turnout? Yes. Would she have been as happy? No. The point is, we never know when we'll lose them or when they'll get injured, so I'd prefer to make sure that my horses are happy whilst they're here.

Of course it won't always achieve this, but it reduces the risk. I've known of many major accidents from group turnout, my late mare being one of them. For that reason I'd never do it again.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I wouldn't split mine into individual paddocks. They interact and I get a lot of pleasure watching them. It always amuses me that whenever any of the mares rolls, the gelding has to roll in the same spot. He'll spot one rolling and will gallop over and then wait right by them, waiting for them to get up so he can have his turn. The two younger ones play and have a great time racing and rearing.

The risk of injury is worth it for their happiness IMO.

100_2057.jpg

TigerTail

Visit site
Of course it won't always achieve this, but it reduces the risk. I've known of many major accidents from group turnout, my late mare being one of them. For that reason I'd never do it again.

This makes me so utterly sad for your horses :( One freak accident and you are now stopping them being themselves. Having had a similar freak accident I know how worrying it is but Id rather that risk than them being penned individually and mentally shut down or dependent on humans for company, when we can only be there a few hours a day.

Wouldn't miss this expressionism for the world.
ScreenShot2013-04-19at094440_zps18f2cf0b.png

MS123

Visit site
This makes me so utterly sad for your horses :( One freak accident and you are now stopping them being themselves. Having had a similar freak accident I know how worrying it is but Id rather that risk than them being penned individually and mentally shut down or dependent on humans for company, when we can only be there a few hours a day.

Wouldn't miss this expressionism for the world.
ScreenShot2013-04-19at094440_zps18f2cf0b.png

Ouch!! Firstly, my yard doesn't offer anything other than individual turnout, though she is within touching distance of lots of other horses. As I said in my earlier post, if I had a choice she would be out with a friend or two, just not with a big herd.

You don't need to feel "utterly sad" for her though, she's perfectly happy thanks :)

TigerTail

Visit site
Sorry but you don't know she is 'utterly happy!' its an assumption based on the fact she's what eating, sleeping, waits to come in etc etc? She's not able to display normal behaviour as she would in a herd, where you would be able to more accurately assess her 'happiness' by her interactions with others. This is one reason Id be v careful what LY i ended up on etc.

Not really meaning to have a go at you just the way you wrote your first post stuck in my mind.

MS123

Visit site
Sorry but you don't know she is 'utterly happy!' its an assumption based on the fact she's what eating, sleeping, waits to come in etc etc? She's not able to display normal behaviour as she would in a herd, where you would be able to more accurately assess her 'happiness' by her interactions with others. This is one reason Id be v careful what LY i ended up on etc.

Not really meaning to have a go at you just the way you wrote your first post stuck in my mind.

I guess I don't know if she's "utterly happy", she can't speak to me, sadly.

ETA- Re-read my post and didn't mean it as "narcy" as it came across. I understand your point, but it really isn't your concern what I do personally with my horse. My other posts were merely stating why people choose to keep their horses on individual turn-out. As I've said, and I'll keep saying..... if my horse could go out with another two or so, then I would be more than happy with that. If anything I'd prefer it. Please don't think I don't take my horses well being and happiness into consideration. She lives the life of riley!!

Last edited:

CharliePonyPops

Visit site
I admit that I had my reservations moving to a yard with group turnout as I had only been used to having horses in individual grazing and my horse had only been grazed away from other horses. He is now in a group of 5 geldings there are only 8 horses on the yard in total and no mares. Although he came in with a few scratches and has had me worried half to death that he would get hurt, he seems very calm and relaxed and is working well because of it. So long as he is chilled out I am learning to do the same.

TGM

Visit site
Just because a horse has individual turnout does not mean they are necessarily deprived of equine interaction - unless of course you have 8' brick walls dividing the paddocks! I currently have mine on individual grazing as it works best with the horses I have at present (although in the past with other animals I have had them in a herd). I have one very good doer pony mare, plus two big fit, active, playful geldings. Keeping them separate stops the mare getting sexually harassed, prevents the boys fighting over her and means I can adjust their grazing/forage/feeds to their individual needs. However, their paddocks are all adjoining and they still interact over the fence doing mutual grooming and playing with each other. They don't have sterile little squares either, as I have arranged the paddocks so they all have plenty of natural shelter from the adjoining woodland and hedges. With a different set of equines I might go back to herd turnout, but at the moment this system is working well for the individuals I have. I also think it is a sensible solution in livery yards where there is a high turnover and you can't guarantee a stable herd environment.

quirky

Visit site
I'm not keen on individual turnout but my mare will not settle with others, so is on her own.

She is a bit of an odd case though as in summer she just doesn't want to be out and usually manages 3hrs (regardless as to whether she is in a herd or alone) before being brought back in. In winter (turned out in a group of 3), she is happy to be out all day.

Just can't work her out!!