Indoor trec?

superpony

Visit site
Has anyone done this and can offer some advice?! I have just entered this with my horse as a bit of fun but I am not really sure what I have signed up to!

He’s 20 and has done BD for the last ten years or so but he is bold to hack and has done various camps etc as well as pc stuff many many years ago when we were both a lot younger so keeping my fingers crossed this will help. I think he will either be fab or be completely traumatised by the experience!

Anything I should practise beforehand?

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's good fun and he definitely shouldn't be traumatised by it! It's very much "take it at your own pace" and it's fine to skip stuff if it's really likely to upset him. The obstacles are all in the rule book which you can probably see on the TREC GB website - but most indoors will have a combination of things like bending poles, narrow pole corridors to ride forward through or rein back through, or an s-bend corridor of poles, simulated ditches (a tarpaulin or similar), a simulated bridge to walk over, low branches (poles set to a certain height above the height of your horse so you have to duck under them), and a gate. You might also see a neck rein figure of 8 around barrels, or a clover leaf barrel pattern where you can use both hands (i.e. not neck rein). You might be asked to dismount and lead through obstacles, or re-mount (usually from a block - but can be on the off-side). You might be asked to stand your horse still in a circle and drop your reins for 10 seconds - or if you're unmounted, to walk away and leave him standing in the circle alone. Basically it's like a handy pony course. There are interesting scoring rules for this so it really is worth looking at a rule book before you go. There are also loads of videos on youtube of these sorts of things.

You will also be asked to canter as slowly as you can through a corridor, and walk as fast as you can in the same corridor. The better the times, the more marks you get!

It's good fun, and very chilled out so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus if you look at the obstacles in the rule book or on youtube, you can simulate many of them at home without much equipment.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yup, all as JFTD says above :)
The only extra I can add is 2 lots of 'flour' lines on the floor between the poles on floor - often used to step horses front feet over - and then reverse back between the poles till back feet are over the 1st line, before walking forwards again. My mount had a melt down at them, having dealt with the rest of it well! :D

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My last horse did this, won both his classes as a first timer, so yes, we really enjoyed it ;)

I did do a lot of prep such as taking the tack room door off to walk over, making 4 ft high railings beside the door on the floor so it did look like a bridge, going under a fly curtain, over tarpaulin, knocking barrels over ridden and in hand (stacked on top of each other), tarp on the floor, picking up unusual objects and carrying them round - such as fitness ball, bin bag with footballs in, noisy things like bin lids, a full size map...

I also did a lot of stuff on the floor and ridden too, such as poles that are narrow, narrow poles with plastic, zig zag poles, raised poles, halting half way over a pole, side passing over a pole, reversing through poles, reversing over poles, jumping a jump then going back to walk...

Mounting and dismounting both sides, and getting it done in the right order to have stirrups out of the way and still be quick but calm. Teaching "stand" as you may have to leave the horse loose.

It was very friendly when we went, it would not have mattered of we had not done the practice, to be fair I do most of it just to make a rounded hacking horse. But, having done the practice it was great to see how relaxed the horse stayed. He was well used to going into an arena with stacks of toys in and not freaking out. Used to doing an obstacle and walking away.

Enjoy!

GTRJazz

Visit site
Good fun have done it a few times as someone who just turned up and had a go it was clear the TREC people who had lessons where placed a lot higher than they should have been, but does it really matter.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My biggest tip is to read the rule book for the obstacles, it's really easy to get zero points on an obstacle by doing something slightly wrong.

terrierliz

Visit site
Good fun have done it a few times as someone who just turned up and had a go it was clear the TREC people who had lessons where placed a lot higher than they should have been, but does it really matter.

I do Trec and I'm disappointed to read this - if it was a Trec GB affiliated event then this should not have happened - in my experience it is a sport that is judged fairly.

It's good fun and pretty relaxed at lower level, great for young horses and nervous novice riders - I'd encourage anyone to have a go. If you can get to a training session beforehand it will give you a bit of an idea about what is expected.

Most of all have fun!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

I really don't think that was the case in the one I went to. It is about technique, not about just getting to the other side of the obstacle, so I wonder if the ones who had been training had a better technique?

JFTDWS

Visit site
I do Trec and I'm disappointed to read this - if it was a Trec GB affiliated event then this should not have happened - in my experience it is a sport that is judged fairly.

It's good fun and pretty relaxed at lower level, great for young horses and nervous novice riders - I'd encourage anyone to have a go. If you can get to a training session beforehand it will give you a bit of an idea about what is expected.

Most of all have fun!

I know where GTRJazz is based and I know who runs and judges TREC in the area. She categorically does NOT place people inappropriately highly because they've had lessons with her :rolleyes3:

Those who have lessons understand the more subtle points of the scoring and will therefore generally score better than those who have not. However, I myself went to my first competition - years ago - in this area, and under the local judge - without having had any lessons, and we did win the Open class at that event. We have since competed many times in this area and I have never had reason to suspect the judging was biased (regardless of whether I've been successful on that occasion or not).

I suspect GTRJazz has an over-inflated view of his own horses' training and has chosen to blame their placings on perceived bias. That's hugely unfair - and I'm disappointed to see this posted on here.

Last edited:

southerncomfort

Visit site
It's a shame their are hardly any training days. I'm just not confident enough to just turn up and have a go. Like to know what I'm getting myself in to!

Our little cob had a whale of a time at working equitation recently and I think he'd love TREC but I think he'd find a comp at this stage too much.

tda

Visit site
It's a shame their are hardly any training days. I'm just not confident enough to just turn up and have a go. Like to know what I'm getting myself in to!

Our little cob had a whale of a time at working equitation recently and I think he'd love TREC but I think he'd find a comp at this stage too much.

Where are you based? Fab trainer Yorkshire area Evie O'Keefe

DragonSlayer

Visit site

I second Evie, she's brilliant. Does clinics and 1-1 training as well. She also goes down into Lincolnshire to train. Do try to go help judge, whether or not you've done it before. It's a great way of learning the ropes. Although we don't have horses to compete anymore, me and Mr DS are going to be keeping our feet in the door by helping at events because we enjoy it. :)

Check Trec GB for your local club.

Last edited:

albeg

Visit site

She also has brilliant stuff on her website for practising at home!

https://trectraining.wordpress.com/homework/

Do try to go help judge, whether or not you've done it before. It's a great way of learning the ropes. Although we don't have horses to compete anymore, me and Mr DS are going to be keeping our feet in the door by helping at events because we enjoy it. :)

Check Trec GB for your local club.

This! It's a brilliant way to learn more, and (speaking as an organiser) it's massively appreciated!

Orangehorse

Visit site
It is important to know the rules as it is depressingly easy to end up with NIL points at an obstacle, so anyone who has done a competition before/gone to training is going to get on better. Obviously.

However, IT IS FUN, do go and enjoy. The first time I did an Indoor my horse ambled into the arena, expecting a dressage arena. What are all those poles, jumps, things doing there? He was amazed, but bless him he did try. Also quite a substantial jump was the second obstacle, after the first which was an S bend. I had "hesitated" on the judging sheet, why no wonder, it was the biggest jump he had seen in years but he gave it a go and nearly jumped me out of the saddle.

The great thing about Trec is that if it makes you practice at home and it is very enjoyable for horse and rider, and also can tax your brain to break down the learning so that you build up your skills.

I once saw an indoor trec where in the canter/walk section one horse just dived out of an open doorway, I'm afraid we all laughed a lot.
I say that there is unlimited potential to be made a complete fool of, but don't let me put you off!

flying_high

Visit site
I know where GTRJazz is based and I know who runs and judges TREC in the area. She categorically does NOT place people inappropriately highly because they've had lessons with her :rolleyes3:

Those who have lessons understand the more subtle points of the scoring and will therefore generally score better than those who have not. However, I myself went to my first competition - years ago - in this area, and under the local judge - without having had any lessons, and we did win the Open class at that event. We have since competed many times in this area and I have never had reason to suspect the judging was biased (regardless of whether I've been successful on that occasion or not).

I suspect GTRJazz has an over-inflated view of his own horses' training and has chosen to blame their placings on perceived bias. That's hugely unfair - and I'm disappointed to see this posted on here.

Echo this. I have done a few training days. The rules and scoring are incredibly complicated and precise. For example needing to approach and stay in the same pace for some obstacles. So if you do it brilliantly but have a few strides of walk will score lower, than it stayed in walk all the time. But a steady trot will score better. I suspect the OP did the obstacles safely and smoothly, but didn’t know the precise scoring elements used so didn’t pick up as many marks, as people that appeared similar or even slower, but were using their knowledge of the scoring system to the fullest.

I think anyone can go and have fun, if have good hacking horses. But you’ll score better (if you care) if you read the rules and scoring system in full first. It is available on line to read.

Elbie

Visit site
I did TREC a few times and really enjoyed it! Waltzed into my first one having no inkling what I had signed up to (the lady I shared with had competed previously!) and did fairly well. I don't think I ever won but had a few 2nd and 3rd placings.

The rule book will truly blow your mind but you need to make sure you know how to gain or lose points. The venue we went to would post the course up and any amendments with the various levels so get there in plenty of time to learn the course and come up with a game plan (i.e. will walk that one, canter that...) One thing that sticks in my mind is when you 'enter' an obstacle you have to stay in the same pace. Frustratingly lost points as I entered the bending poles in trot and came back to walk to look for the next obstacle but didn't realise I was right on the exit marker so lost points as I didn't maintain the pace.

Also practice mounting to a time limit. We had to dismount, lead over a 'bridge' then enter the marked circle and mount from a block. Once in the circle I think we had 15 seconds to mount for the level I was competing at. I got in such a kerfuffle and my hands were shaking so much I completely fluffed it and scored zero :D. There are rules like you can't have a twisted stirrup leather - that'll lose you marks as well!

I used to practice at home - corridor of poles to canter through. Rein back between poles, 2 traffic cones close together to figure of 8 round one-handed.

Boulty

Visit site
Fantastic to see that a lot of people have already recommended Evie :) She's who got me into TREC in the first place and she's really good at introducing riders / horses who haven't done it before to what it's all about in a nice, relaxed way so if you're in the Yorkshire / Lincolnshire area would definitely recommend her. Helen Wain is also very good & Julia McHugh runs a few training camps throughout the year if you're a bit further South (I went to one she did at Somerford a few years ago & it was great fun!)

A lot of the indoor comps will generally have some data sheets for the obstacles they're using kicking about (in some cases they might be pinned to a wall somewhere) which can be a help if you're unsure. A lot of indoor comps will have an inhand class and some unaffiliated classes that are a bit more relaxed and can be a nice way to start.

Re the judging I've been eliminated for taking wrong course / scored zero / been marked down on pedantic things on more than one occasion by people I've trained with / that know me, certainly haven't experienced any bias. Granted different people may have a slightly different opinion on what needs marking down and what doesn't (some obstacles include "style" points and obviously someone who has an interest in showjumping is more likely to dock marks for a slightly untidy jump than someone who isn't very horsey and has just been roped into helping for the day) but you can get that in any sport

Volunteering as a judge a few times can also be a really good way to see what it's all about / how to approach the different obstacles and to get an idea of the sometimes rather complicated scoring system. There are lots of little ways to lose marks if you're not paying attention but it's pretty difficult to actually get eliminated & the nice thing is you can make a complete cock up of one obstacle but then if you do well on other bits of the course you can still end up with a decent score as it won't drag any of the rest of your marks down.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Frustratingly lost points as I entered the bending poles in trot and came back to walk to look for the next obstacle but didn't realise I was right on the exit marker so lost points as I didn't maintain the pace.

Also practice mounting to a time limit. We had to dismount, lead over a 'bridge' then enter the marked circle and mount from a block. Once in the circle I think we had 15 seconds to mount for the level I was competing at. I got in such a kerfuffle and my hands were shaking so much I completely fluffed it and scored zero :D. There are rules like you can't have a twisted stirrup leather - that'll lose you marks as well!

I usually get at least one 0 in every indoor competition for missing a set of cones marking the entrance or exit to an obstacle, and I once got a 0 for the mounting because it was an off-side mount obstacle and I got confused as to which was the "normal" side and picked the wrong one!

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous ;)

Mule

Visit site

Interesting. Mine does a lovely march on a long rein. It actually sounds great fun. I've been meaning to give it a go but map reading puts me off, as I'm crap at that sort of thing. Indoor trec would be ideal.

TRECtastic

Visit site
I second reading the rules for the obstacles , it's so easy to loose points by not knowing what the judges are looking for .
Don't forget to halt and tell the judge if you are not doing an obstacle , you will score zero for that obstacle but will get zero for whole course if you don't stop and inform the judge if you are not doing one of the obstacles !
Some indoor comps do a course walk , take advantage of this to ask any questions about obstacles
Things like remount- practice your horse standing rock still, 1 foot moving is classed as a fault and will loose you 3 marks
Some obstacles have exit flags , make sure you and horse are clear of the flags before either changing pace or if it's a 1 handed obstacle putting your hand back on the rein
There are a few dates out already for winter TREC comps , it's a great way to start TREC without getting lost !

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Definitely read the rules for the obstacles more than once. I got marked down at a competition for not being at the pony's shoulder leading on a loose rein, so next time when I was doing obstacles leading and reining back between narrow poles I made sure I stayed at the shoulder and had a loose rein only to score 0 on both obstacles as I should have been in front of the pony between the poles.

BBP

Visit site
Interesting. Mine does a lovely march on a long rein. It actually sounds great fun. I've been meaning to give it a go but map reading puts me off, as I'm crap at that sort of thing. Indoor trec would be ideal.

You should go for it, it really is good fun and lovely friendly people who are happy to help newbies. And if you ever wanted to try full trec you can go as a pair with someone like me. I’m pretty good at map reading but can’t hack alone as BBP likes company so am always looking for a pair with a sensible horse. I’m sure there are others like me that you can find on your local trec groups Facebook page.

I’m trying to find a little vid of me and BBP practicing our trec obstacles in the field with no bridle or Saddle. I’d love to be able to try it in competition without a bridle one day, but he turns a bit feral when he competes!

ironhorse

Visit site
Definitely read the rules for the obstacles more than once. I got marked down at a competition for not being at the pony's shoulder leading on a loose rein, so next time when I was doing obstacles leading and reining back between narrow poles I made sure I stayed at the shoulder and had a loose rein only to score 0 on both obstacles as I should have been in front of the pony between the poles.

We did quite a bit of indoor trec with our QH mare because she wasn't a great hack but liked a bit of a variety outside the show season! We did it for fun, and thus didn't take it too personally that some of their rules and methods were different from what we would do - such as being in front of the horse when reining back in hand. In western showing you NEVER get in front of them for safety reasons - likely to get hurt if they suddenly shoot forward or strike out with a front leg. Also we were marked down as she took her time and dropped her head to look at the simulated ditch (she didn't stop or take a step back). When riding a trail we would like our horses to assess the obstacle first - is it a rubber mat placed on the ground or a yawning great ditch that needs stepping/jumping over? :D

hairycob

Visit site
The classic obstacle for "how come I got a zero, I did it well" is the neck rein (which you do one handed) by picking up with the other hand before your horses tail is through the exit cones. Everyone has done that at least once, the experiences know to make sure they are well clear of the obstacle.

BBP

Visit site
We did quite a bit of indoor trec with our QH mare because she wasn't a great hack but liked a bit of a variety outside the show season! We did it for fun, and thus didn't take it too personally that some of their rules and methods were different from what we would do - such as being in front of the horse when reining back in hand. In western showing you NEVER get in front of them for safety reasons - likely to get hurt if they suddenly shoot forward or strike out with a front leg. Also we were marked down as she took her time and dropped her head to look at the simulated ditch (she didn't stop or take a step back). When riding a trail we would like our horses to assess the obstacle first - is it a rubber mat placed on the ground or a yawning great ditch that needs stepping/jumping over? :D

I think that definitely depends on the judge as if I was judging I wouldn’t penalise a horse for assessing an obstacle unless it broke the flow of movement, I.e. was blatantly stopping, but an inexperienced or less horsey judge may have thought your horse was reluctant?

I also have different standards when judging levels beginners vs open classes. In open classes I expect the cues to be almost invisible, so I mark down for any kicking and pulling when doing things like rein back, gates, jumps whereas for beginners I try to be really encouraging, but I always write down why I marked the way I did. In indoor trec things happen faster and one or two judges judge the whole thing so you may not get as good an explanation as to why you dropped a mark or two.