Inflatable collar, windy dog and vet check up usage

Kat_Bath

Visit site
So many questions, but I've not been feeling like the world's best dog owner the last couple of days. I'm even worried about posting this as I think I'm useless, but you've all been so kind and helpful and a godsend, so I'm hoping you'll be kind again (please be nice!).

First of all, we have a situation whereby Buddy is licking his back end, red raw, not sure of the cause yet (more on that in a sec) but we need to prevent this so I'm wondering if anyone has used an inflatable collar on a long dog before? If so, which make/brand/size did you get? In theory, they should work, but he is honestly so long and his tounge is so long! However, I can't bear to put a cone of shame on him as it would have to be even bigger than the one we have in the cupboard for H as Bud is so long! Plus, I think it would stress him and he'd hurt himself because he'd bash into everything!

Secondly, and this might relate, Buddy is very, very windy and his farts smell really bad. We didn't get any of his old food but he's on a single protein (salmon) basic kibble for now, to see how he goes. I have a feeling he needs his glands seen to, hence the licking. His tummy makes a lot of noise. Instead of changing his food so soon (it's only been a month), I'm wondering if I should try a probiotic or supplement to help him? He's still settling, so may be a little stressed still, so it might also help that?

Finally, he picked up a little ear infection so went to the vet in Wednesday. He's done really well with his drops and was sweet for the vet. He has a check up on Friday as she wanted to see him again. Would it be reasonable to ask her to look at his back end while he is there? I'm used to doctors being strict with you're there for what you're there for, and nothing else (and even then, I avoid going because if it's not hanging off, it's OK!), but obviously the vet is different. I'm conscious though, that the pandemic is putting a lot of strain on everything, so I don't want to push my luck. And I really don't want to be one of those owners who is annoying! They already know who I am because Harvey LOVES going to the vet so much and I ring quarterly for his wormer and I don't even need to say his name when I ring (although that may purely be because I have an obviously English accent and I live in Scotland)! ???

I know it'll take a while for him to settle fully and I keep having to remind myself of this. He has slotted in so well that I completely forget he hasn't always been here. But I want him to be happy and healthy and make sure he is looked after as best I possibly can. One positive thing is that we met a great trainer this week, who will be really helpful and I'm excited to work with him (and Harvey as well - I love working with him).

Thanks in advance for any replies. I know I must sound like a broken record, but I honestly can't thank you all enough for your support on all my threads about either dog on here - I really appreciate it. Especially because COVID has really made me feel so isolated from advice and support, for many things, not just dogs. I think I'm finally getting bored of talking to the vet on the phone and having CBT on bloody Zoom - I want to see people in real life!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Firstly, I am no dog expert, but I believe kibble can encourage yeast infections, as they have wheat.

Maybe investigate raw? People keep telling me to, but I don't really know what it entails, but ours are now on pouches from Butternut Box. Maybe look at the ingredients to see if they have wheat?

The vet is not like the Dr. They will likely be happy to have a look. If they can't I'm sure they won't mind you asking, and will book you back for another appointment. They may wish to ask for extra £ for the increased appointment time if they do both at the same appointment, but still won't mind you asking.

As it may well be a single, systemic problem (such as with wheat) I think they will just look at it as part of the same problem.

planete

Visit site
He needs to be examined by the vet first of all. It could be anything. In the meantime, he should be stopped from doing any further damage to his rear end and that will mean a long enough cone (I have long dogs). It is far better for the dog to be slightly upset at first by a cone until he gets used to it than to have a raw bottom. In my experience soft or bendable protective equipment does not work with sighthounds, as you say their back is too long and bendable. You may need to buy a very large cone and doctor it to be narrow enough behind his ears. The kind you can thread a collar through usually stays on. Good luck at the vets. I hope Buddy is soon on the mend.

twiggy2

Visit site
My maz has lots of allergies and has been on purina HA for years, it really suits her and she has very little trouble, she had a allergy test panel done not long after she arrived but to be honest her allergies are so vast and food and environmental based, she never had steroids or washes and I would certainly avoid steroids if you possibly can give the dog a good life by tackling diet as the side effects from steroids can be extreme and life limiting IF used long term or frequently.
Maz did need anal gland attention a couple of times when I first had her but we did our utmost to avoid that too when possible because it can weaken the anal gland muscle and cause more frequent emptying being needed or anal gland leakage long term. Her bothers her every now and then but only very mildly for maybe a day or so and then she small for a day after it has emptied itself and she is then fine for anything up to a year or so, she hasn't had them manually emptied for well over 4 yrs. It's also worth asking the vet if the can empty them without inserting a finger, I have been told my more than kne vet that their is less risk of damage and whilst it takes a bit longer to do its potentially better for the dog long term.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I clear our own dogs anal glands when they need doing and never insert my finger, not the pleasantist job in the world, but we all survive the experience.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have a Rottweiler sized inflatable collar which worked well and seems quite comfortable for both the Rott and us, being banged at the back of the knees, was both less frequent and not so likely to fell the human in one go. The inflatable is harder wearing too.
As you are paying the bill, you can ask the vet to do anything sensible,although if they haven't time theymight suggest another visit. Vets usually like to get the whole picture, I wish GPs did the same. You might want to discuss allergy testing withthe vet but I would check the ingredients of your kibble carefully. Some dogs react to sugar beet, which seemstobe a common ingredient of the wheat/grain free kibbles.
I used to have a brown Lab who was allergic to grass seeds, her skin was very sensitive.
Budddy landed on his paws when he met you.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Zak and Bear used to leak/need their anal glands emptying quite regularly, fortunately it stopped as they got older. Scooting along the floor was their usual sign, but they didn’t get irritate/red bums, but every dog is different. The vet taught me how to empty the glands.

Dummy question, but have you wormed him? That might cause itchiness/redness.

chattygoneon3

Visit site
Definitely talk to the vet about Buddy licking his back end as it’s really important the vet has a full history. Often different symptoms can be part of the same problem. The fact that Buddy has had an ear infection as well as an itchy back end could well be related .Also you say he’s been on a different diet for a month , he may not be tolerating this. Itchy skin and gut issues are all common with food allergies.
Its really important to stop Buddy licking his back end raw as if he continues to do this he may end up with a secondary skin infection. Inflatable collars are good but the only way to know if they work on a certain dog is to try them on. I often find I have to try on numerous collars to find the best one. I know cone collars can be distressing but it’s usually the owners who worry more than the dogs ?.
If you are worried or struggling to stop him licking his back end it’s probably a good idea to try and see your vet before Wednesday.
hope this helps. ( p.s I’m a vet nurse )

Andie02

Visit site
We have a Jack Russell who has had allergy problems, the first one ever in all the many dogs I have had. We got her at aprox 2 and a half years old, not a rescue but they just didn't want her anymore so presumably she had previously had problems. When we got her home we discovered that she had an ear infection so the vet put her on steroids, ear cleaner and drops for her ears. Long story short she regularly got ear infections and then the dreaded itching and chewing her paws, followed by more steroids, eventually the vet wanted to put her on apoquel. I did a huge amount of research and decided against any further steroids or the apoquel and set about sorting her diet.
What works for our girl is Forthglade Just Range wet food and Orijen Kibble, which is high in protein and low in carbs, she also has a teaspoonful of 'Stinky Stuff's' 'Non Stinky' every day as a food supplement, which has also encouraged her hair re-growth which was lost as a result of the steroids. The Orijen kibble that we have tried so far is the Six Fish, Tundra and the Regional Red to give both dogs variety, we have 2 different ones on the go at the same time, we also give a variety of the Forthglade Just Range. Both of our JRT's also have a good make of Probiotics every day. The Forthglade Complete Range has even caused her to have a setback, due to the additional carbs. The only treats our dogs have are dried fish skin chews and dried tripe chews.
Foods I have found to avoid are all grains, sugar beet, potatoes and any other additional carbs extra to the Orijen Kibble.
Occasional use or when needed of Aromesse Pet Nat ear cleaner and Ear Relief keeps her ears clean, Stinky Stuffs ear product did not help with her ears but made them sore. The Aromesse products that I have used are excellent.

Of course problems vary from dog to dog but like chattygoneon3 above has said different symptoms can be part of the same problem, and Buddy's problems do sound like a yeast overload which was the problem with our dog. I do hope that you manage to resolve his problems but please bear in mind that it can take a while after changing their diet for the problem food to leave their system. Allergy problems can be a nightmare to resolve.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Bo struggled a bit with his anal glands. Once a week or so we feed them raw chicken wing or thighs, which has helped. Read that bone can help firm up poo, not that Bo’s were soft as such.

Quite a few months ago, Luna got the tiniest cut between her toes. Addressed the cut, but she continued to lick the paw, and it was a red/brown mess. Vet visit, and although the cut had healed and was long gone, the licking caused a yeast infection. Cone of shame, which she went mental at when first fitted, but settled after first 24hr. Hibiscrub bath for paw twice a day for a week (sounded like we were trying to chop the leg off). All good now.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Thanks again everyone, for your replies - I'm very grateful. I normally quote everyone and reply separately but there are so many so hopefully this covers everything asked/mentioned!

Firstly, yes to worming - he was wormed mid-December though, so quite a while back now, and we kept a close eye on his poop for a few days.

I had thought about food and allergies but I think I'll investigate that further. I suspect it may be related but my initial thought was that he was submerged in a very muddy pond a week ago today and I thought that's where he might have picked up the ear thing from. But now I think about it, it could be wider.

Thanks for all your advice about the vet check up - glad to hear it all. I'll ask her to check his back end. Obviously I am quite happy to pay for additional stuff if it's checked and I won't feel so bad for asking now.

Interesting that you mention Purina HA, Twiggy, as that's what Harvey eats. For a while, he had really loose poos, so we gave him a bit to firm him up but I wouldn't be adverse to it putting him on it for good.

An inflatable collar is on order and should be here tomorrow so we'll try that. There was much less licking overnight last night, which was good. I was prepared to put the cone of shame on overnight if it was bad, but his back end looks OK today. I'll keep an eye on it though. I think you're right about owners worrying more Chatty! He's just so timid sometimes! Mind you, it might make him sit still - we should have renamed him Figit!!

I'll have a close look at the ingredients of the food he's currently on and I'll top up the first aid kit with some more hibiscrub as it ran out recently.

Interesting about bulking agents passing through - I did know that from way back with Harvey, but I'm not surprised it's come up now as Buddy's poos are big... I've a feeling we will change food. I for one would prefer to see less come out the other end ? I was conscious that he was working and so didn't want him to put on weight when he came to us, so put him on the minimum amount, but he has lost weight (it's visual as well shown on the scales), so upping that, if it's the wrong food, will not have helped, but I'll address this.

Running late to meet a friend for a walk now, so have to dash just now, but I cannot thank you all enough - you have no idea how much I appreciate your replies!

Shady

Visit site
Really good advice above but i'll just add that If any of my Weims , before and present, eat fish of any sort , either fresh or in a dog food mix , they get 'fishy' bottoms . It just doesn't agree with them and they will spend all evening constantly licking their bums and I can smell that distinctive aroma of anal gland liquid . It usually clears up quickly, but i'd hate to think what would happen if they had fish regularly. My first Weim had anal gland problems due to diet and apart from becoming an expert at emptying them I tried many foods before settling on Arden Grange chicken and rice which stopped the problem completely. .Not saying I would automatically recommend that one to you as there are probably better options. but it worked well for him .

Kat_Bath

Visit site
That makes sense! And I have potentially dangerously assumed fish for Buddy as fish suits Harvey, but I also guess we had to start somewhere and it's what we had in the house so was as good a start as any.

I'm going to keep a note of everything this week, in the run up to the check up, see what she says, and then go from there, once she's seen his bum (delightful ?).

I also wonder if the move has taken its toll on him a bit and the stress might be manifesting itself in a few ways. He is generally happy in himself but is obviously going through a lot of changes, possibly even more so now than he did when he first joined us, as we're now asking more of him in terms of his behaviour and setting a few small boundaries early on. He's also going on some busy walks and I'm so, so proud of how he's coping, but they're shorter because they're busy and a lot for him mentally.

Clodagh

Visit site
I know food is a minefield but the difference in quantity emitted on an expensive (low/non bulking agents) is amazing. Now we have 5 it is a real blessing.
The pup came on Eukanuba. Omg… squishy turd mountains everywhere!

[139672]

Visit site
I’d recommend raw food. I feed mine processed raw (nature’s menu). He’s never needed anal glands emptied. No issues with wind on raw food. You can feed a mixture of raw and other dog food (science has changed re this). He does sometimes have the natures menu pooches of gently cooked food and also for treats and occasionally for a meal, Lily’s Kitchen kibble but I mainly stick with the wet food.

GSD Woman

Visit site
As far as anal glands go I do think a lot of it depends on the individual dog. I have had 2 dogs that had anal gland issues to the point that i had them removed on both dogs. One was my first GSD and I had to be careful with his food as he was prone to loose stools. The other was my third GSD and he ate a mix of raw and kibble.

I haven't had much success with an inflatable collar. The hard ones are hard on body parts but they don't deflate.