Information about Irish Draught x Thoroughbred horse.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
However, a good 'mix' doesn't necessarily make a good horse. That comes down to schooling, handling, conformation and temprament. I have had a couple of IDxTB's. One was a complete sh1t who had no respect for human life, the other was the most trainable and affable character you could ever wish for.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't agree with you more! Also a good horse can turn sour pretty quickly if it thinks it's got the upper hand - or if it feels insecure - or for a number of other reasons - The horse can only pull against a pulling hand - sometimes you have to literally throw the reins at the horse in order for it to stop pulling - bitting up and stronger nosebands/martingales just give it more of a lever to pull against!
frown.gif

I noted that the horse is kept at home? Is he alone? Or is he in company - I know my mare absolutely freaked when I brought her home - didn't settle for a long time and changed into an excitable and temperamental mare (she's ID/TB) - We had to go right back to basics with her - and you can ask anyone on here what trials and tribulations we had (I was so close to selling her too) - It took time and patience and good schooling (with instructors who really understand what they are doing and why) I'm not a novice rider - but she really took some getting to grips with -

If you don't have facilities to work your horse at home (Ie a menage etc) then it may be better moving to a yard where you have help at hand?
Kate x

Jadejods

Visit site
Hello Hs mum.

No he is not kept alone, i have an 18 month old cob as a companion.

I have took on board all the advice every one has given me and i think i will try and give it another shot and attempt to try and make this work with him.

I have to take responsibility for the problems i may be causing with the way i ride.

I need to build trust up between us, especially after the fall, not that he will remember , but it is very fresh in my mind.

Thaks to all of you.
I am pleased i joined this forum, very helpful.

xx

Mithras

Visit site
Its not really a breed as such, but a cross, and the quality depends on that of the crosses. My previous horse was a 15.1 ID x TB, and she seemed to be one to inherit the worst qualities of both, as mentioned above. I have never known such a clumsy horse, she used to stand on my feet regularly 3 times a week, and although a keen jumper, had a lot of knock downs. She fell on the flat with me a couple of times too. As mentioned, she had the strength of the ID and the sillieness of the TB. I could stop her, but then I am really strong and never got run away with even when I used to work with racehorses. I schooled her intensively for nearly 3 years and though she did improve, she never got rid of her inherent clumsieness for jumping. She would revert to going on the forehand when even slightly excited and often would go disunited too - its not much to expect a horse to sort its own legs out! She could also not learn from her mistakes, if she hit a low upright, you could jump her over it several more times and she would just hit it again and again in exactly the same way...

I sold her to a keen teenager not looking to jump so much. I have heard so many good reports of ID x TB crosses and this was not at all a bad horse, just a frustrating one. However it is a bit off-putting and my new horse is a Dutch warmblood, which I find more refined, intelligent and careful.

HBII

Visit site
Hi Cocobay

Sorry to hear things arent going too well.

I own a ISH which I am assuming has a medly of TB and ID in her. Like yours she can lean, run on and go on the forehand. Would you consider some lessons with a more experienced instructor, I find IDxTB's very patient as I am still learning myself.

When S leans on me I have to kick her on and keep her between my hand and my leg to keep her up into the bridle.

What are you feeding your horse he may have too much energy, and/or could be calmed down to help your riding.

Just a few thoughts hope they help.

Hb

Clodagh

Visit site
Sorry, haven't read all posts...
blush.gif
...but I had a horse that was unstoppable and actually went better in rubber snaffle and cavesson. Sorry if you've been there, done it!
They are strong if they want to be, so do feel sorry for you, though. Good luck.
smile.gif

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
I don't think your problems are relative to his breeding. ID x TB is a pretty good cross although it would depend on the percentage of TB. My mare is ID x TB - I love her to pieces - she is an absolute star. She's a bit lazy (I prefer them like that) and she is a kind sweet person.

I would have lots and lots of lessons. Don't do anything that will knock your confidence and build things up slowly going right back to basics if necessary. Learn to bond with him and make time to get to know each other.

I would then put a cap on the amount of time you wish to invest - ie. 6 months - if not better by then, I hate to say it, but I would sell up and buyer a saner mount (I did just that !!)

Take care of yourself and good luck.

amandaco2

Visit site
TBxID are usually good all round competition horses
they are generally nice tempered horses and can do well in a variety of spheres.
i would say it sounds like maybe you would benefit from some lessons on your horse
and check out the cause of his behavior(eg too little turn out, too much hard feed, painful back,tack teeth etc)
they can be strong but any horse can.
my TBxID is quite sharp to ride and handle but a total softy in the stable and good at dressage.she can jump 4ft no problems its just the rider lol being too wimpy!she does get upset about moving though!

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Cocobay

I have had my boy for 10 years although he is an irish cob and not an ID x TB ( I have just bought a 17.1 IDxTB though!). I battled with a similar problem and came to the conclusion that although the bad times were really bad, the good were amazing. Despite everyone tellling me to get rid. Now we know each other so so well and I am so glad I stuck at it.

Good luck!!