Inhand showing bridle advice

Marigold4

Visit site
I've taken my mare to a few inhand showing classes recently in riding horse or competition horse classes. As I'm newish to showing, I sometimes ask the judge for tips at the end of the class, if they look friendly. We did our first classes in an inhand bridle and snaffle. One judge said I should get her a proper ridden bridle and use a pelham or double bridle. So I bought one at some expense and thought it looked great on her. Today I was told off by the judge for wearing it and was told horses should always wear inhand bridles and snaffles for inhand classes. I could be wrong but I got the impression that the three of us without snaffles were marked down. Now I'm confused! Which bridle is correct for riding horse classes? I'm not peeved about the placing - you win some, you lose some - just want to know which is correct.

SmallHunter

Visit site
The first judge was correct. Horses 4 and over are shown in ridden bridles with the reins taken over the head and this would normally be a double bridle although it can be a snaffle.

catroo

Visit site
Local shows can be a bit of a lottery with how knowledgeable judges are.
As above, adult horses are normally shown in bridles. Natives are the exception, they are often shown in white halters.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks both for your replies. Glad I haven't wasted my money on the new bridle then. Am I Ok with wearing a pelham and two sets of reins?

Carlosmum

Visit site
As a judge ( at local shows) I prefer to see an adult horse/pony in a riding bridle rather than an inhand bridle. I don't mind if its a double or a snaffle, but I don't think I would place anyone down the line because of it. I think you were unfortunate in your judge.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Can I ask some numpty questions please? I would like to take my Connemara in an inhand class at a local show in a few weeks time. He wears an ordinary black cavesson bridle with a hanging cheek snaffle. Would that be acceptable or do I need to find him a brown bridle with an eggbut or loose ring snaffle instead. Never done any showing before so I'm rather nervous about it all.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks very much, Carlos' mum. I think local showing must be a bit of a lottery. We won one class and came practically last in another! Good for the character building though.

conniegirl

Visit site
Can I ask some numpty questions please? I would like to take my Connemara in an inhand class at a local show in a few weeks time. He wears an ordinary black cavesson bridle with a hanging cheek snaffle. Would that be acceptable or do I need to find him a brown bridle with an eggbut or loose ring snaffle instead. Never done any showing before so I'm rather nervous about it all.

At a local show the set up you have will be fine provided there is no flash loop on the cavesson!

conniegirl

Visit site
Thanks very much, Carlos' mum. I think local showing must be a bit of a lottery. We won one class and came practically last in another! Good for the character building though.

results do depend on what class you enter though, Its very possible for a horse to be a beautiful example of a riding horse, but perhaps is less suited to showjumping or dressage (perticularly if it doesnt have dessage horse movement which is very different to riding horse movement) which is what they are looking for in the competition horse class (and of course vice-versa).
more TB types tend to do better as riding horses, the more traditionally warmblood horses tend to do better in the competition horse classes. Though I have to say warmbloods and partbred warmbloods are now doing better in riding horse classes.
It can also depend on what is in the class with you

Visit site
Defos a ridden bridle for 4yo+ and pelham is perfectly fine. Native ponies can wear in-hand bridles, ridden bridles or some breeds white halters for 4yo+ but anything that is plaited should be in a working horses bridle.

Don't worry about local judges. Go out enjoy yourself and if you like it aim a bit higher next year where the judges will be more knowledgeable!

Marigold4

Visit site
Thanks EKW. The flexibility for natives info is particularly useful. I was struggling to understand why people were in different bridles in these classes, but now I do! It would be really useful if you got some kind of a feedback sheet (like dressage) with marks allocated for different things and a comment. We've done 5 shows and got firsts and seconds in this class and then suddenly bottom of the line but no feedback as to why.

Crackerz

Visit site
We've done 5 shows and got firsts and seconds in this class and then suddenly bottom of the line but no feedback as to why.

That's just local showing for you! I run a local show and make sure my judges are highly knowledgeable or conformation and experienced in affiliated showing. But i know that plenty of shows just let any Joe Bloggs that runs a livery or something judge, regardless of real life showing experience :)

Visit site
That's just local showing for you! I run a local show and make sure my judges are highly knowledgeable or conformation and experienced in affiliated showing. But i know that plenty of shows just let any Joe Bloggs that runs a livery or something judge, regardless of real life showing experience :)

Been under a few of them! And whilst most people complain that judges are blind when they think their horse is perfect I had one judge who actually was!!! It was a handler class, she had no idea what she was supposed to be doing and had us all trotting round together. When we stood up in front of her you then got an inkling that not all was as it seems, she was taking an overly wide berth around the ponies. Ok she could have been being cautious but there was something about the way she walked round that juggled. So carried on, got pulled in 1st so I am definitely not complaining in the slightest!! But when she handed out the rosettes she went to pat my ponies face and totally missed and almost walloped him in the eye! It was then that I noticed properly that both eyes looked in totally different directions! Bless her! A really really lovely lady but shouldn't have been judging! She was enjoying herself though!