Inhand showing help please

Marigold4

Visit site
Help please!

1) I have a lovely 3 year old youngster and we've done well in youngstock classes, but yet again today we lost out on first place as he would NOT stand still for the judge.

2) He has a great trot but he tends to bend round across me. I also find going round corners challenging and have to resort to elbowing him round.

3) I show him in a snaffle and reins as I feel the reins give me more steering but the reins don't give much length, so if he gets a fright and tries to scarper, I could lose him. I've tried the type of lead rein which divide into two brass chains but feel I have less steering with this than reins. Any thoughts on what is best?

All advice gratefully received on how to overcome these issues as scary county show is loomimg!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think it's just practice and getting him out and getting used to a busy environment, or is it something he does at home even? I think i would establish what the issue is as it will need a slightly different approach, maybe clicker training at home or something similar to get him to make that connection of still means reward, I would definitely do some ground work at home getting him to focus on you even if it means treats to do so, if it is just the buzz of a show the training and ground work will help but so will going out a lot and getting him used to it and then as time goes by he will just settle and get on with it, it's bloody hard with youngsters I used to show my 2 year old colt in hand rearing was his favourite game in the ring in the beginning but he did get better

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
all you can do is practise at home, both the standing still and the trotting , then if you have the basics sorted at home you have more chance in the ring..he needs to learn manners at home and standing still will be very important when he is backed..

Nudibranch

Visit site
Keep practising the standing still. Do it in different places and for different lengths of time. He needs to learn the word "stand" means standing square and until you say otherwise. The more you do it the easier it gets.

For turning, use your cane (schooling whip to start with) up in front to block him from turning into you. Make sure whatever you are doing that he stays out of your space, even just every day handling.

I use a leather butterfly lead. They're more precise and less dangerous imo.

Wheels

Visit site
Agree with the others re more practise, he should stay level with you no matter what although if you cant keep up you wont get his best trot. How much do you practise running? Can you do more sprints to increase your speed up.

What size reins do you have? Try extra long ones or you can use a flash strap as an extender - best use for one!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Try a 3 way leather coupling, attaches not only to the bit but also the back of the noseband.
As others say, practice at home, get friends to inspect him. At home to start with, lead him on both sides to get him straight again then if necessary add an overcheck from the off side over his neck, or even get him lightly long reining as this will really help too.

Marigold4

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Some excellent tips here. I take him out for inhand walks so will practise standing in different places and MAKING him stand still. I definitely need to be firmer with him now he's 3 I use positive reinforcement as much as I can but in a buzzy ring he's just not listening, even though he can do everything well at home.

I think you are spot on with the speed of trot, Wheels. I used to run half marathons, but broke my knee in a skiing accident and now struggle to keep up with his big trot. That's why he turns across me as I'm holding him back.

I'll try out the different rein configurations - thank you for the suggestions.

I wish I could hire someone to show him for me for the County Show. We are in the main ring and I'm a little terrified!