Injured myself and cant ride - idea for still excersising horse?

emmad96

Visit site
So, I was super smart and have just last night injured myself at hockey (knee :mad:). Its a probable cartilage issue with the possibility of a ACL tear. My other knee has torn cartilage in it and in Aug last year I had ACL reconstruction done on it, so very familiar with knee issues.

My main issue at the moment is that itll be a week or two before I feel I can get back up on my horse and be able to have the balance needed to stay on! In the mean time, I dont want her losing the muscle and fitness that I've so carefully created in the last six weeks. Getting someone else to ride her is unlikely as the one person I would feel comfortable letting ride her has her own horse and work full time. My only other option would be the sister of another girl, and while she has come along in leaps and bounds with her riding lately, shes just not experienced enough for my very big, very strong mare who can be a right tart some days, especially with the grass making her hot.

I was thinking of lunging her a couple of times a week with side reins on, plus some groundwork exercises. Any tips/ideas on what I could do to not let her get bored? I was also thinking of trying some liberty stuff with her.

Heres a picture of us at the weekend, its taken six weeks to get her to the point where I can trot her without having to hang onto her mouth to slow her, and I dont want to lose what little muscle she has. FYI, shes 17hh Clydie cross :).

12987080_1106291606058599_5871874724891748614_n_zpsu6xuefcz.jpg.html

Equestrienne

Visit site
Definitely sounds like your chance to keep building up a nice top line by doing lots of lunging work with draw/side reins. I would do these training session interspersed with fun, free-headed lunge sessions over cavaletti - improves the trot endlessly and really fun. Can do one on each quarter of a circle or 4/5 in a row to mix it up etc.

rachk89

Visit site
I would just do lunging and free lunging over jumps for variety. Wont do her any harm. Just be sure you will be fine.