Injured or Fit Broodmare?

prosoup

Visit site
I have found two mares for sale for the same price.

One is a very well bred and well graded 6yo, who is now for sale as a broodmare as she fractured her fetlock in a field accident and might not be able to be ridden. She has half sisters competing at advanced medium and psg. She is in foal to a (first season) stallion I like the look of.

The other is an older broodmare who is not as well bred or graded, but has had foals previously. She is in foal to an established big name stallion. She's got no competition career to her name.

Which would you buy?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
For me, it totally depends on the mares themselves; what they're like to handle etc as if they're noughty you'd be in for a bumpy ride. Would need to check the details of the youngsters out of older mare and if I liked their type.

Commercially, first one sounds better but a lot would also depend on the injury, whether that would be giving any long term problems like arthritis which could cut short any broodmare career and I dare say, because of that I'd probably go for the older mare, get her graded myself.

ihatework

Visit site
First and foremost you'd need to see both mares in the flesh and judge them on their own merit.

But I would sway towards the first I think. Would depend on how bad the injury was (from the perspective of will you get a few breeding years from her).

I'd want to see how the foals from the older mare had turned out before considering her too seriously, fancy stallion or not, if she is unproven under saddle then she needs other positives going for her ...

Doncella

Visit site
The first time I bred from my mare she was sound, however about a year later when back in work she was kicked on the hock and the stifle in a field fight and left dreadfully lame. I waited for over 3 years to make sure she was sound before covering again.