Injured Pads

Penguin_Toes

Visit site
I've just come back from a really nice walk with my whippet and noticed that both the pads higher up his forelegs are bleeding 🙁

The ones on all of his paws are absolutely fine

This is my first dog so I don't really know what might have caused it, it it like an overreach/interference from his other legs? He did get up some speed since we had the whole place to ourselves so he was off lead for a bit.

Shall I put anything on it/do anything?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_122547171.jpg
    PXL_20240421_122547171.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 25

I'm Dun

Visit site
those are his "stopper pads" Its a reasonably common thing for whippets to do. They use those pads for stopping and turning. His do look very sore, so I'd assume he's done a sliding stop on gravel or similar. I'd stick some sudocreme or something similar on and keep him on soft ground and steady walks for a few days.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
This happens a lot with my female as she is so fast. At one point she was skinning pads on a weekly basis because of skidding/sliding stops.
Only thing that has been successful so far is keeping her on a short line on hard surfaces (only on flexi/long line/free running when on grass) and at Druid's suggestion, a biotin tablet once a day for skin/nail health.
As my previous dog also had extremely soft feet, I'm a veteran at wound care 😅 I wash with either Botanica or dilute colloidal silver/Hibiscrub (whatever I have in the house) dry, then dust with wound powder.

oldandgold

Visit site
One of my other girls injured her stopper pad - we did get stopper pad protectors (think they are sold as carpal pad protectors) but they were a pain in the proverbial to try and keep on. Hope everything heals quickly

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Late to this but almost all of my greyhounds/lurchers had stopper pad issues - and now my little terrier does too! I blame the fact he grew up with sighthounds bless him 🤣

I have had to restrict exercise until they are healed for bad injuries but they do seem to heal very well