Injuries

Epequestrian

Visit site
Hi!
I have recently had quite a bad fall and had a bleed in my brain, meaning I can’t ride for a while! It would be 6 months minimum.. has anyone else had to stop riding for a long period of time, and how did you cope? I’m really hoping I can ride again, although I won’t be able to go back to Show jumping (higher risk of falling) I’m hoping to buy an older horse to do some Dressage on! X

Green Bean

Visit site
So sorry for your injury, horse riding in any form is not safe. What riding hat were you wearing? Longest I have been off is 12 weeks for a broken collarbone - it was at the start of summer so it was the worst time, just when everything was ramping up riding wise. Was only able to start riding again winter. I was kept sane by going to see my mare regularly for kisses and cuddles even though she was the cause of the accident. Online horse shopping and window horse shopping was also good to keep the focus on horses.

sport horse

Visit site
I had 15 months off with a fractured femur that was reluctant to heal. Rode again for quite a few years and show jumped up to 1.40. Hope you heal soon - heads take a long time.

smolmaus

Visit site
Yep! Had a skull fracture about 10 years ago that meant I was also forbidden for 6 months but my fall was off my own two feet (kitten heels and a slippy floor, bad combo). I was only doing weekly lessons at the time (still am) but I went down for my sister's lessons anyway and just hung about. Did some grooming, helped turn out, watched lessons, tried to keep my hand in. Would have been much more painful to get zero horsey contact for 6 months.

I was straight back on as soon as the consultant said it was okay, but I know if you actually hurt yourself riding that confidence might not be as easy to find again. I did take it easy for a while when I went back, on a very safe little dressage pony (he was my favourite boy anyway) so I think a lovely quiet schoolmaster type sounds perfect to aim for. By the time you find the perfect horse, get them settled and maybe do some groundwork the 6 months will fly by!

Hope the healing process is good to you. And that you got the good painkillers, that's the one perk of getting your head broken :p

Epequestrian

Visit site
Yep! Had a skull fracture about 10 years ago that meant I was also forbidden for 6 months but my fall was off my own two feet (kitten heels and a slippy floor, bad combo). I was only doing weekly lessons at the time (still am) but I went down for my sister's lessons anyway and just hung about. Did some grooming, helped turn out, watched lessons, tried to keep my hand in. Would have been much more painful to get zero horsey contact for 6 months.

I was straight back on as soon as the consultant said it was okay, but I know if you actually hurt yourself riding that confidence might not be as easy to find again. I did take it easy for a while when I went back, on a very safe little dressage pony (he was my favourite boy anyway) so I think a lovely quiet schoolmaster type sounds perfect to aim for. By the time you find the perfect horse, get them settled and maybe do some groundwork the 6 months will fly by!

Hope the healing process is good to you. And that you got the good painkillers, that's the one perk of getting your head broken :p

Thank you!!
did the doctors say anything about you possibly not riding again? I really want to, but my parents aren’t so keen for me to get back on! They said if I have another fall like this one then it would leave me with bad brain damage or possibly kill me!! But I would never be in the position that I was when I fell off as I would be on an older more sane horse, not jumping and always in a surfaced arena! So I really don’t know what to do.. x

Epequestrian

Visit site
I had 15 months off with a fractured femur that was reluctant to heal. Rode again for quite a few years and show jumped up to 1.40. Hope you heal soon - heads take a long time.
Wow! Thank you, although I don’t think I would ever have the guts to go round 1.40!! Well done x

Epequestrian

Visit site
So sorry for your injury, horse riding in any form is not safe. What riding hat were you wearing? Longest I have been off is 12 weeks for a broken collarbone - it was at the start of summer so it was the worst time, just when everything was ramping up riding wise. Was only able to start riding again winter. I was kept sane by going to see my mare regularly for kisses and cuddles even though she was the cause of the accident. Online horse shopping and window horse shopping was also good to keep the focus on horses.
Thank you! I was wearing the Charles Owen J3 Skull hat, the doctors said that (based on statistics of other people with my injury) I should be in a coma with only a 10% chance of regaining consciousness...! So my hat really did save me. X

smolmaus

Visit site
Thank you!!
did the doctors say anything about you possibly not riding again? I really want to, but my parents aren’t so keen for me to get back on! They said if I have another fall like this one then it would leave me with bad brain damage or possibly kill me!! But I would never be in the position that I was when I fell off as I would be on an older more sane horse, not jumping and always in a surfaced arena! So I really don’t know what to do.. x
Oh yeah my mum was frantic. She wouldn't let me walk up or down the stairs to the bathroom by myself for 2 weeks after I got out of hospital. But the consultant said there was no reason not to ride again so long as my fracture had healed properly. My brain bleed was in the lining of the brain rather than inside though, so I don't know if that makes a significant difference to the risks. From your response to Green Bean there your injury sounds more serious than mine. Bottom line: Definitely go with what your consultant is telling you, whether that is a Yes or a No or an Only If XYZ situation.

I was 20 when this happened like so to a certain extent my parents couldn't forbid me from riding again, but by the time 6 months was up my mum was fine so long as I promised to take it easy and my instructor was careful with me!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Sorry to hear about that, I went 'cold turkey' while at university for 3 years and have had a couple of maternity leave riding breaks.
Both times I had something else to keep me busy.
Can you work with your Dr to find some injury friendly horse activities? in hand stuff, volunteering for RDA (if they are doing that now) or at

Epequestrian

Visit site
Oh yeah my mum was frantic. She wouldn't let me walk up or down the stairs to the bathroom by myself for 2 weeks after I got out of hospital. But the consultant said there was no reason not to ride again so long as my fracture had healed properly. My brain bleed was in the lining of the brain rather than inside though, so I don't know if that makes a significant difference to the risks. From your response to Green Bean there your injury sounds more serious than mine. Bottom line: Definitely go with what your consultant is telling you, whether that is a Yes or a No or an Only If XYZ situation.

I was 20 when this happened like so to a certain extent my parents couldn't forbid me from riding again, but by the time 6 months was up my mum was fine so long as I promised to take it easy and my instructor was careful with me!
Ok thank you! And yeah I definitely will, they have said I will never show jump again, but I’m really hoping it heals well so I can get back on!!

Epequestrian

Visit site
Sorry to hear about that, I went 'cold turkey' while at university for 3 years and have had a couple of maternity leave riding breaks.
Both times I had something else to keep me busy.
Can you work with your Dr to find some injury friendly horse activities? in hand stuff, volunteering for RDA (if they are doing that now) or at

thank you, that sounds like quite a good idea! Will look into it more :)

LiquidMetal

Visit site
I’m on month 7 of a maternity leave break. I have my horses at home so I can still do groundwork and get my horsey fix fortunately.

Hopefully you will recover well and quickly. I’d really encourage you to listen to the Eventing Podcast episode where Lissa Green is interviewed. She talks extensively about her head injuries and the setbacks she’s had due to trying to come back too fast. I know it is frustrating to wait that long but it’s just not worth risking a second injury while you’re still healing.

Epequestrian

Visit site
I’m on month 7 of a maternity leave break. I have my horses at home so I can still do groundwork and get my horsey fix fortunately.

Hopefully you will recover well and quickly. I’d really encourage you to listen to the Eventing Podcast episode where Lissa Green is interviewed. She talks extensively about her head injuries and the setbacks she’s had due to trying to come back too fast. I know it is frustrating to wait that long but it’s just not worth risking a second injury while you’re still healing.
Thank you!! I will definitely listen to them. My horse is up for sale at the moment so I’m hoping that when he’s gone it will make it easier to not ride, as I wouldn’t have something waiting for me to get back on At the stables! X

crazyandme

Visit site
When they open up again, maybe have a look at RDA near you? They are often very happy to have extra volunteers! And mine were great for helping me get on when I had a bad fall and had lost my confidence
Hope you heal well!

Ceriann

Visit site
14 months from November 2015 to December 2016 - I had to get back on in 2016! Broke my hip in a nasty fall out hacking and struggled with it for a while. I managed because I was in pain for most of it! I was never a massive risk taker but did buy myself a very lovely and sensible dressage horse. Just take each day as it comes - I struggle with low level pain most days and falls (yes they still happen) are more painful (physically and mentally) but I wouldn’t have it any other way! I wish you the very best during your recovery.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Same. I had a stack last November at home over a SJ - in a lesson. Didn’t realise I was injured until later when I saw my helmet was cracked and apparently I was acting whacky (according to my children). Off to hospital for MRI and scan. I had 12 weeks off and have been asked to consider giving up SJ as this is the 3rd major concussion in my sporting career.

The physical healing was fine but the sight of a SJ makes me scared. I have engaged the services of a sport psychologist who is also a SJ coach as I want to jump, but maybe not big anymore.

Ive also changed my fitness programmes to focus on core stability, muscle strength, mobility and stability to ensure that if the worst does happen I have a better chance of staying on.

Finally I have increased my flat work lessons to improve both my position and ability to influence pace and stride without touching the reins. (My go to when I’m scared is to pull, which creates a dangerous situation for both me and the horse).

Costing a fortune but I love my horse and I messed up, in front of the jump and caused the accident. If I can get to 75cm in the future I’ll be happy. No more big jumping for me I think. Hopefully no more falls.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had ages off after a whiplash, years, it was really slow to heal. IME, same as when a horse is injured, it is the first couple of months that is the worst.

I have been told a couple of times not to ride agin. But, it was for whiplash, for a broken kneecap and also for a cyst on my spine. I guess that is 3 times then! I have always ignored it. But then, for my brain I would probably comply, or at least get a second opinion.

The whiplash it really was about 3 years to get back on. I couldn't even lift my arms, turn my head, went dizzy, had numb arms... Went on to ride at intermediate BE and do CCI* (now CCI**) so once I got going I was fine. I do feel it now though, a very creaky 50 something rider!

Visit site
Gosh OP that sounds awful. I think if you are determined to get back in the saddle (which having horses all my life i can totally understand), i think getting a sensible steadier horse is a really good idea, obviously horse riding is risky but i think if you take every precaution, steadier horse, no jumping, arena surface and make sure your hat is always up to standard, you are obviously reducing the risks to yourself.

I hope your recovery goes well, as someone else has said maybe help out at a local RDA for now if there are any near you, so you can safely be around horses whilst your recovery progresses.