Innovative ways to get drugs down a fussy one?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I just inject. My mare can smell it at 50 paces and no matter what I do she throws her feed everywhere to find the "stuff".

At least with injections she may jig about a bit but I know she has all of the antibiotics in her system!
This! Can't be bothered faffing round trying to get them to eat antibiotics! The powder is so much and requires a massive feed to hide and even then it's hit and miss!
Injectable every time for me!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I used to add mint to the feed and that hid the taste and smell. Antibiotics are prob the only thing I won't inject as they can be viscous, difficult and long injections.

I would also let him get hungry before feeding.

Annagain

Visit site
Quick update - the hot water with molasses (combined with some inadvertently but serendipitously discovered mind tricks) worked this morning. I mixed it with a tiny bit of mix and there was no stickiness for him to be suspicious about then sprinkled some fresh mix over the top. As I was doing it in the field - a good 5 minute walk away - I also took some mix in a bag in my pocket to top up if needed. As I pulled the bag out of my pocket, it ripped a hole and some mix fell into the bucket, which he hoovered up! I sprinkled a bit of mix every few seconds and before I knew it, the whole lot was gone - only took 10 minutes as opposed to the hour yesterday and he probably ate about a quarter of the mix he did yesterday which his waistline will be grateful for! I've also bought a load of mint leaves to try tonight, if he doesn't like them I'll take them home to cook with them!

He's never hungry sukistokes (until I typed it just now I always thought you were susiestokes!). The 10 horses on the yard are out 24/7 on 18 acres of hayfields at the moment - he has to stay out to get the swelling in his leg down.

Annagain

Visit site
Maybe try giving him a small handful of feed packed with garlic. His taste buds/sense of smell should then be overwhelmed/confused enough not to then smell/taste the meds in his 'proper' feed.

Then just prepare and present his feed as normal as you would every other day so he has no reason to be suspicious about it, even add a bit of garlic to that too if he's a slow eater or has a larger feed.

Sometimes they become are suspicious because subconciously your HR/breathing are slightly elevated (or other subtle changes they pick up on) so acting blase like you aren't trying to poison them can also be half the battle! :D

I did have one that would only eat meds if you smothered the feed in molasses and hand fed while telling him how amazing, wonderful and brave he was.... :rolleyes:

That's the problem Illusion, he doesn't have a feed at this time of year due to being a lumper! We've also found the bigger the feed, the less likely he is to eat it. Mixing it in a tiny handful seems to be best for him, even if that means adding more 'clean' feed every so often.