Insect Bites, any ideas?

BigBird146

Visit site
Sorry, not got round to sussing out how to put pictures on so will describe:
My horse came in a week ago and looked like he had been attacked by a biting insect, UNDER his lightweight turnout rug. He had about a dozen or so 10p coin size lumps on his side, all raised quite high (clearly visible even under his hairly unclipped bit). After a couple of days they got a scab on the top which you can pick off. I've been putting Tea Tree cream on but they aren't going down at all and he came in with another collection on the other side yesterday, again under his rug (apart from one up near his ears). the only insects I've seen have been midges and we don't get those nasty Scottish type midgies here, just little ones. He is quite sensitive to bites but these are rediculous and aren't going away?
Any ideas what they might be? It's quite open (odd trees but no woods) round here with no standing water (apart from all the puddles!!) and I haven't seen any wasps, it's way too early for horse flies.
They don't appear to be bothering him but look unsightly.
Any ideas what they might be or what I could put on them to make them go down?
Thanks.
grin.gif

archie1

Visit site
i give NAF de itch which you put in the food. you can feed it regularly or give an emergency dose. some mixture of herbs that takes lumps down really quickly on mine (don't know how!!) NAF also do a de-itch cream for fly bites.

rss07

Visit site
Yes D itch is great for horses like that, and our vet said we could use hydrocortisone on nasty bites, although he did say is can turn hairs white. Didn't bother us, so we do it a lot with my old boy.