Insects or something else under belly

RosieTink

Visit site
My horse has been treated for all different types of insects such as mites lice etc (last week) and has these little black things on her tummy but nowhere else, I don't think they're bugs as I scraped some off and they just broke down in my fingers. She doesn't care about them or seem irritated, could it be bug dirt or somethin else I have no idea.

https://youtu.be/4LUXBkKXP9U

Only emergency appointments available at the vets for today.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Yes, agree they look like could be little bits of dried blood from insect bites. My mare used to get them there in the summer sometimes, never seemed to bother her either...

booandellie

Visit site
My mare is plagued by little black flies that bite between her legs and teats leaving spots of blood that dry and sound like what you have found. She doesn't seem to get affected in any other area. I apply sudocrem round that area nice and thick which seems to do the job better than any fly spray at keeping the flies from biting. It's infuriating as no fly rug will stop them getting to that part, i have seriously considered inventing some kind of 'nappy' for her!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My mare is plagued by little black flies that bite between her legs and teats leaving spots of blood that dry and sound like what you have found. She doesn't seem to get affected in any other area. I apply sudocrem round that area nice and thick which seems to do the job better than any fly spray at keeping the flies from biting. It's infuriating as no fly rug will stop them getting to that part, i have seriously considered inventing some kind of 'nappy' for her!

You can get udder covers that fit Snuggy Hoods and Boett sweet itch rugs.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Pig oil wiped over the belly, thighs and teats will keep the midges off. I just pour some onto a sponge and lightly wipe. Seems to work, cheap and easy.