Inspired by jumping critique threads - help for daughter, please!

Frans

Visit site
My daughter is feeling increasingly despondent after a very difficult 18 months adapting to her new horse. To be honest she was over-horsed being young and small on a large, strong, spooky mare but she was being closely followed by her instructor who was adamant that they would do well together.
The horse has always been erratic about jumping with a tendency to refuse if the approach is not perfect, or because of fillers, or because it’s the first jump of the day, or, as we found out on further investigations, because she was in pain. It turns out she has quite bad hock arthritis.
She has now been treated and will be followed-up regularly. DD is rebuilding her and the horse’s confidence by going back to smaller courses. DD has also grown rapidly these past few months so is finally beginning to have legs that reach beyond the saddle flaps which should help!
The problem now is in understanding which problems come from the rider and which from the combination of her and this particular horse. She’s worked really hard but is getting more and more confused as her coach is contradicting himself in his comments and is also being very negative about her riding.
Here is a link to two videos filmed two weeks apart (can post loads more if needed!). We would really welcome any feedback.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkqVPkMOxyymicoUHi5xEvn8udJq-w

(NB the stirrups had been significantly lengthened a few days before the first video)

Thanks in advance!

joosie

Visit site
The videos won't load for me.
My first reaction though is that if her coach is consistently being negative about her riding, she needs a new coach!

Frans

Visit site
Many thanks for trying! They should play directly but in fact I'm having the same problem. If you right-click on the picture and choose download it should work but I can understand that you may not want to risk that on your own devices. I'll see if I can reduce the file size and/or find another way to publish them.
Personally I agree on changing the coach but it would mean leaving the stables where all her friends are which she is not ready to do yet.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Video won't load, but if she can't have a different coach at this yard because of some rules I would travel to somewhere else for lessons.

Any trainer who contradicts themselves, confuses the student, and is negative about the rider (and when the rider is only just growing below the saddle flap at that) is worth avoiding.

paddi22

Visit site
I think you definitely need to change trainer. Currently, there's lack of harmony/communication between the two of them in the 3-10 video, and its hard to tell if its show nerves maybe? She rides better in the other video.

It doesn't look like your daughter has been taught half halts. She doesn't seem to ever do a 'whoa' in the canter and rebalance the horse at all. Does she understand the concept of different gears in the canter? At one stage in the 10-3 video the horse looked like it was out of control on her. I know kids can feel tiny on big horses, but she needs to get get some kind of better communication with the horse, at the moment she's a bit of a passenger at times. For example, (I just chose a random kid/horse video off youtube), but this rider is very firm in when he expects the horse to slow in the canter, and gives a very clear strong aid.

I think with some flatwork there is potential there. At the moment there's a lot of fuss and confusions with transitions even. They aren't on the same page communication wise with speed, turns or contact currently.

Her position could be tweaked as well. At the moment she is quite ineffective - when she is in a light seat the horse is just running from under her and Then when she goes to sit deep coming into fences, she isn't sitting deep enough to be effective and bring the horses back end under her. The one time she did use her body weight and put her shoulders back (in the double in the first video) the horse actually responded quite nicely.

If she had a stronger leg position it would really help her too. At the moment she is pivoting off her knee and just ineffectively scrubbing with her lower leg. If you look at around 1.04 in the 3-10 video, the horse is flat and running, but your daughter is still nagging it at the side.

If she was my daughter I definitely switch trainers and get one who can build her confidence. I'd also go to a dressage trainer and teach her the half halt for the canter and also how to have a stronger seat, contact and position. I think with a change of trainer she'd be much happier and see a huge improvement. Personally I think its her position is the issue currently with that horse, and a new trainer could sort that.

Frans

Visit site
Paddi22: A huge thank you for your detailed response. Though the trainer impressed us at first with his patience and explanations when she first started riding with him (age 7) he no longer works in the same way. I wonder if he finds it difficult to explain things above a certain level so resorts to just shouting at his pupils for doing it wrong rather than explaining what to do better. You have picked out things that concerned me but you have made a much much better analysis and I think she is serious enough to take those comments on board so thank you.

joosie

Visit site
Having now managed to see the videos I see you are in France and I think now I understand the situation a little better!
Let me guess - she is a member of a Club and competing at Club level with a Club instructor?

Frans

Visit site
Yes and no. He's a Pro rider (wife teaches the club riders) who tried persuading us to put DD in amateur last year. Its easier for him if his pupils are in the same competitions so he is trying to fast-track them before they are ready.

Frans

Visit site
Just realised I posted the wrong video from 2019-3-10 it's a speed class rather than a normal round. At least it highlights the faults well though 🙂

paddi22

Visit site
Just realised I posted the wrong video from 2019-3-10 it's a speed class rather than a normal round. At least it highlights the faults well though 🙂

that makes sense, cause she rides totally differently in them both!

Shay

Visit site
Echo that you should chnage coach - and for the same reasons. But also - when one ionstructor has seen the same rider for a longer period of time they can become influenced by what has happened in the past. A clean, fresh pair of eyes can see things that might otherwise have been missed. A fresh way of explaining things can sometimes click in a way the older way didn't. A new instructor won't be influenced by the fact that there have been previous struggles, or (hopefully) by a wish for personal convenience.

Frans

Visit site
Echo that you should chnage coach - and for the same reasons. But also - when one ionstructor has seen the same rider for a longer period of time they can become influenced by what has happened in the past. A clean, fresh pair of eyes can see things that might otherwise have been missed. A fresh way of explaining things can sometimes click in a way the older way didn't. A new instructor won't be influenced by the fact that there have been previous struggles, or (hopefully) by a wish for personal convenience.
That's a really good point I'd been thinking that it was helpful to have someone who knew the history but if its not working just doing more of the same isn't likely to suddenly change the result. A new pair of eyes or a new way of explaining could help. Thank you for adding that, more food for thought!