Inspired by the Hunting thread - who do you call

Birker2020

Visit site
I don't think you understand what Halal means. The vast majority of Halal meat is stunned, with the only difference being a blessing prior to the slaughter.

OP, I call out the nearest large animal vet (I have a few numbers in my phone). On one occasion I called the local wildlife hospital, who sent somebody out with a captive bolt. I was told by them that had I contacted a local with a gun I would have got them into serious trouble, due to the proximity to the road.

Err you don't understand. Up from 40% in 2015 to 70% in 2018.https://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2020/june/halal-meat.html
My ex worked as a slaughter man for 4 yrs in Ireland, traditional stun first slaughter. Came over here and worked for a halal meat company in Birmingham. Lasted 3 days, ended up sobbing at the sights he'd seen.

A lot of food for sale in the Uk including hospitals, top chain restaurants, care homes and supermarkets are halal. Its you who doesn't understand.

Clodagh

Visit site
in the UK a shotgun is NOT considered suitable for deer or for human despatch though at short range, it probably would do the job.
I believe the dispatching of humans is frowned upon, by any means ?.
I’ve killed a muntjac with a fence post, not ideal but leaving it would have been worse. I’ve seen a fallow killed with a knife, also not ideal but was quick and professionally done.
I can’t imagine how you would shoot a deer with a shotgun, although I know you can shoot horses with one if you get the angle and distance from the head exactly right. Wouldn’t fancy it with a struggling deer.
As has been said the police should know a man that will come out for bigger things. It may be worth asking g your local farmer if he could suggest someone in a just in case way.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I know someone who hit a deer. It had two broken legs, was knocked out intially but then regained consciousness. It was mobile enough to flee, after a fashion. If left it would have made an escape and probably been eaten alive by rats or badgers in a ditch somewhere. He used what he had in the car boot, which was a hammer. Probably not legal, but quick, and much better than leaving the poor thing.

Birker2020

Visit site
I know someone who hit a deer. It had two broken legs, was knocked out intially but then regained consciousness. It was mobile enough to flee, after a fashion. If left it would have made an escape and probably been eaten alive by rats or badgers in a ditch somewhere. He used what he had in the car boot, which was a hammer. Probably not legal, but quick, and much better than leaving the poor thing.
On Wildlife SOS they have an awful lot of deer struck by cars, they are in Leatherhead in Surrey so presumably is quite a heavy deer population and the public ring the police when they find some deer or other animal in the road and the police ring the organisation and they go out to despatch it.

I suppose this is quicker than waiting for a vet. If you cover a deers head with a towel or blanket or coat it will usually stop struggling, this helps to calm it as this has been illustrated on the programme over and over.

Deer don't cope well with stress at all so when WSOS was filmed (its on repeat) they used to house them in sheds and leave them be until the next day after treating them very quickly for stress and giving them pain relief.

palo1

Visit site
I believe the dispatching of humans is frowned upon, by any means ?.
I’ve killed a muntjac with a fence post, not ideal but leaving it would have been worse. I’ve seen a fallow killed with a knife, also not ideal but was quick and professionally done.
I can’t imagine how you would shoot a deer with a shotgun, although I know you can shoot horses with one if you get the angle and distance from the head exactly right. Wouldn’t fancy it with a struggling deer.
As has been said the police should know a man that will come out for bigger things. It may be worth asking g your local farmer if he could suggest someone in a just in case way.

Sorry lol - meant to say humane!!!

SEL

Visit site
A friend is a vet and was caught in a traffic jam with an obvious accident ahead. Her nurse mum was in the car and went to see if she could help, came back and said it's a deer. Policeman relieved to see a vet but all she could do was load stunned and probably injured animal into car boot (there's a dog grid) & take it back to her parents shed and ring round for help.

Man with a gun came. Opened shed door and both sent flying by now fully recovered deer!

Btw said vet also hates halal slaughter and I don't ask why.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Considering the increasing numbers of deer, it is a good question. In the latest edition of the BASC shooting magazine there is a call for members with experience with shooting deer/rifle, to make themselves known to the Police so there is a list of suitable people to contact in the case of a deer needing despatch.

For me, I would contact a couple of neighbouring shoots, in the hope that someone would have a rifle. I do know someone who would be well qualified but he is not always around.

palo1

Visit site
Considering the increasing numbers of deer, it is a good question. In the latest edition of the BASC shooting magazine there is a call for members with experience with shooting deer/rifle, to make themselves known to the Police so there is a list of suitable people to contact in the case of a deer needing despatch.

For me, I would contact a couple of neighbouring shoots, in the hope that someone would have a rifle. I do know someone who would be well qualified but he is not always around.

If extreme rewilding took place the local wolf pack would be available for despatch and removal...

Fransurrey

Visit site
Err you don't understand. Up from 40% in 2015 to 70% in 2018.https://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2020/june/halal-meat.html
My ex worked as a slaughter man for 4 yrs in Ireland, traditional stun first slaughter. Came over here and worked for a halal meat company in Birmingham. Lasted 3 days, ended up sobbing at the sights he'd seen.

A lot of food for sale in the Uk including hospitals, top chain restaurants, care homes and supermarkets are halal. Its you who doesn't understand.

If you're going to be selective, at least be factual. 'A lot' suggests the majority, which is absolutely not the case as evidenced by your own figures. The fact remains that the majority of Halal meat is stunned. As I said. You suggested otherwise. You also only mention Halal, but not Kosher. Why?

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandw...he UK, Jewish and,for Halal are stunned first.

Tell me you're racist without telling me you're racist...

Birker2020

Visit site
If you're going to be selective, at least be factual. 'A lot' suggests the majority, which is absolutely not the case as evidenced by your own figures. The fact remains that the majority of Halal meat is stunned. As I said. You suggested otherwise. You also only mention Halal, but not Kosher. Why?

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/slaughter/religiousslaughter#:~:text=In the UK, Jewish and,for Halal are stunned first.

Tell me you're racist without telling me you're racist...
Ha I wondered when the racist card would rear its ugly head. Its amazing what some people try to make of the most innocuous of comments.
I don't think the 24.5 million animals who are not pre stunned prior to slaughter would have agreed. It might be a 'minority' but its still a huge, huge amount of animals that are suffering needlessly.

DISCLAIMER - DON'T READ IF SENSITIVE

A large cut made across the neck of awake animals would "result in significant pain and distress". They would be in this pain until they pass out. It would take around 5 to 7 seconds for sheep and 22 to 40 seconds for adult cattle to pass out from the cut.

They have actually conducted studies to show that calves can take up to 2.5 minutes to die. I won't go into the details as I'm sure I will get told off, but when you bleed out you suffer from all sorts of physical pain, not to mention the terror and stress of being hung upside down whilst concious.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandw...he UK, Jewish and,for Halal are stunned first

Last edited: