Instant Calmers

Tempi

Visit site
Does anyone use any before competing and if so which ones and why?

Am after something that will relax but not take away forwardness/energy if that makes sense? So nothing that will send him to sleep!!!! :D

Tempi

Visit site
Have used the feedmark one with some sucess

Can I ask why you used it (what was the issue with horse etc) and what situation youve used it for?

I did have a look at theirs as I use a lot of Feedmark products but from reading the reviews it sounded like it had almost a sedative effect on the horse which I dont want. I'm after something that just helps take away a bit of tension in the arena (fine in warmup but tense when leaving the other horses, I am aware this will improve the more he goes out but if there is something that will help him a little then I would like to try it).

Jane_Lou

Visit site
When we got the new mare she was a nightmare when we took her out. It was all I could manage to do to get some tack on her in the lorry, get her off and get K onboard, she was all all over the place. A race horse trainer friend suggested Oxyshot which they have had good results with stalls training. I was sceptical but thought I would give it a try. Whether she had just decided that going out was ok of whether it was that I don't know but she was totally chilled, tacking up and getting on, I even managed to get some studs in! I used it 4-5 times and don't use it any more as she is now as chilled without it. As I said before, whether it was the Oxyshot or maybe she would have been ok without it I will never know but the difference in her was marked.

Tempi

Visit site
Thank you - I do actually have 1/2 a tube of Oxyshott at home as I got some to use on my yearling when she had her feet done when we moved her to a new yard. Again not sure if it worked on her but she was as good as gold (after previously being an nightmare). Only used it twice and not needed the other dose so might try that :)

little_flea

Visit site
I'm suspicious of Oxyshot as I have no idea how it would actually work? I don't have a degree in chemistry so perhaps all claims are true but sounds like utter twaddle to me.

I have tried the Carl Hester ProCalm one as magnesium based calmer seems to make the most sense to me (counteracting adrenaline). It seems to have worked once or twice, and been entirely unsuccessful others. Not convinced. Have had good results with long term use of Horse First Relax Me though.

MandyMoo

Visit site
I used to use Nupafeed syringes for a TB we used to own, because Oxyshott did absolutely nothing (he was a stressful traveller and weaved/reared whilst in the lorry without the Nupafeed calmer.

I also used Miracle Kalm Paste on another horse who was highly strung in arenas at other competitions and was ridiculkously spooky. Again, Oxyshot did absolutely nothing...but this Miracle Kalm Paste worked amazingly to take the sillyness out, but kept him forward etc

Tempi

Visit site
I'm suspicious of Oxyshot as I have no idea how it would actually work? I don't have a degree in chemistry so perhaps all claims are true but sounds like utter twaddle to me.

I have tried the Carl Hester ProCalm one as magnesium based calmer seems to make the most sense to me (counteracting adrenaline). It seems to have worked once or twice, and been entirely unsuccessful others. Not convinced. Have had good results with long term use of Horse First Relax Me though.

I agree re the science behind Oxyshot, as I dont understand how it would work either! With regards to magnesium based calmers, I was on the understand that they only work if horse has a magnesium deficiency?

I dont want a long term calmer as he dosent need it, just something to take the edge off when he gets tense leaving the other horses going from the warmup to the arena whilst he is in the initial stages of learning what going out competing is all about :)

I used to use Nupafeed syringes for a TB we used to own, because Oxyshott did absolutely nothing (he was a stressful traveller and weaved/reared whilst in the lorry without the Nupafeed calmer.

I also used Miracle Kalm Paste on another horse who was highly strung in arenas at other competitions and was ridiculkously spooky. Again, Oxyshot did absolutely nothing...but this Miracle Kalm Paste worked amazingly to take the sillyness out, but kept him forward etc

I will have a look at nupafeed and the miracle kalm, thank you :)

I think I have some Equine America So Kalm paste somewhere too, although this used to make my old horse snore!!!! So not too sure about using that!! :D

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
Try contacting Protexin re their syringe of Quick Fix. I seen them at Burghley and they were really helpful, nothing to sedate in their either, it was just pre and probiotic to help calm them and reduce stress

Tempi

Visit site
Try contacting Protexin re their syringe of Quick Fix. I seen them at Burghley and they were really helpful, nothing to sedate in their either, it was just pre and probiotic to help calm them and reduce stress

Thank you - I already use Quick Fix for my mare who suffers with ulcers, it is a pro/pre biotic and just helps to maintain/relax the gut when out competing, it doesnt act to relieve tension or as a calmer etc.

DorothyJ

Visit site
Just wondering whether anyone has experienced a sedative effect with calmers? i.e on overdose. My mare gets quite tense and is on Magnitude, which works well. I top her up with instant calmers when we compete. As the season has gone on she has chilled and generally been a lot more manageable. We have had some great cross country runs but recently she has shown little interest and felt completely switched off, not like her at all. Looking back now it has happened on the hot days and this seems to be more than coincidence.

All I can put it down to is that she has had too much magnesium and that combined with the hot weather has effectively sedated her, hence her understandable lack of adrenaline and enthusiasm for cross country.

Next time out we are going calmer-free!

georgiegirl

Visit site
I use the naf magic syringes for when we go eventing. I usually give it just before we load up at home and I certainly think it makes a difference. Doesn't make her dopey or anything but I think it helps her keep her concentration a bit more and more focussed on me rather than everything else that's going on

equinelover

Visit site
Definately worth giving NAF magic a try! My lad has the powder in every feed, just maintenance amount, then give him the instant calmer before tests at bigger venues (he will have some before his tests at the BRC champs this weekend), but don't give him it for local comps as trying to get him to relax a bit on his own as well :) Have used oxyshot but not totally convinced with how it works so stayed away from it since :)

Polotash

Visit site
I used NAF Magic when my youngster had to make her first ever trip in a lorry from Hants to Cornwall (7 hours!). She walked straight in and travelled perfectly, but of course I have no "control" situation to compare it to.

Nupafeed was suggested to me at Areas last week for my stressy stressage boy... may try it next time out.