Instructor changed his bit

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
We had a lesson last week (for the first time in a year!) It went well, but he noticed my gelding is very tense in his jaw and tries to lean.

He switched his bit to a Bombers Happy Tongue loose ring snaffle (from a Neue Schule Verbindend that hes been in his entire life)

He felt a lot more relaxed, held a outline without trying to lean and overall a lot better.. although he did fight it slightly in canter, but no leaning. I'd never of considered a straight bar in a million years.

A friend who does a lot of dressage said to avoid a Bombers straight bar?! Any thoughts? We are aiming for a bit of dressage, would love to do BD if he stays sound. The instructor said hes more than capable of that.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Whose opinion are you paying for? Whose judgement do you trust most?

Isn't the bit you are talking about slightly ported (that's why it's 'happy tongue')? Lots of horses like the feel of a ported bit and I believe the HT is now dressage legal.

ETA, even if it's not dressage legal, I would keep him in a bit he goes well in, to establish the way of going and experiment with bits to find a legal one that he does like, rather than stick to one he doesn't feel comfortable in just because it is dressage legal. That seems rather contradictory to me.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I love the bomber bits .
why would you worry about this ?
the trainer is being paid to help you your friend is offering her opinion .
if the horse felt better not sure what you are worrying about .
I change my horses snaffles all the time .
I prefer to work the horse in a three snaffles and swop regularly.

MissTyc

Visit site
ETA, even if it's not dressage legal, I would keep him in a bit he goes well in, to establish the way of going and experiment with bits to find a legal one that he does like, rather than stick to one he doesn't feel comfortable in just because it is dressage legal. That seems rather contradictory to me.

100% this!
I find that if they're happy and correct 99% of the time, then they tend to hold their correctness in a less favourite bit for the day of the test. My mare schools in a non-dressage legal bit, but goes happily in a snaffle for days, even weeks ... then seems to remember she likes to fuss in it and I have to revert back to her favourite one.
Sounds like a moot point if it's dressage legal now anyway :)

lottiepony

Visit site
I popped my youngster in one of these after getting my cob going well in one. He's very happy in it so I am :) (eggbutt version)
Interestingly when I had my next lesson I said to my instructor (who backed my horse) that I'd had a swap and he agreed he was going better. Although when off him and I showed him he admitted that he would have thought that my horse wouldn't of liked it and he would never of tried it lol.
I'm defo a fan of the bomber bits. Amusingly too I put this in on a friends horse and she had to go out and buy one as he liked it too!

paddi22

Visit site
I've one in a bomber as she has a very fleshy mouth, she is 100% happier in it.
I bet if you asked your friend the reason WHY to avoid a bomber straight, they wouldn't have a good or factually correct reason.

I'm always open to listening to people's opinions, but now I really drill down to make them prove they know what they are talking about!

mini_b

Visit site
I really rate bomber bits - suited a fussy horse with fleshy mouth down to the ground! Use both a Pelham and an eggbutt full cheek snaffle which is dressage legal.
glad your horse is happier! It’s such a relief when it just works.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Well it's more than slightly ported, it's got a huge port and yet it's dressage legal.

It's the only bit my fussy mouthed spotty horse will go anywhere near quietly in the mouth in, i really rate it.

Starzaan

Visit site
I have known Bomber Nel for most of my life and what that man doesn’t know about bitting and horses mouths isn’t worth knowing.
Early prototypes of the Happy Tongue and others in his range transformed our horses when he gave them to us.
If your horse is happy, stick with it.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I have known Bomber Nel for most of my life and what that man doesn’t know about bitting and horses mouths isn’t worth knowing.
Early prototypes of the Happy Tongue and others in his range transformed our horses when he gave them to us.
If your horse is happy, stick with it.

I don't know Bomber Nel or even heard of him but long ago I read Tom Roberts's book: Horse Control and the Bit. He was an Aussie, long dead. He wrote a number of excellent books: Horse Control, the Young Horse; Horse Control and the Bit (as already mentioned but I'm listing them all in order); Horse Control, The Rider and lastly, Horse Control -- Reminisces. All excellent books.