Instructors for specific breeds/ways of going

Pippity

Visit site
Thank you all again for your advice and apologies for my delayed reply! I am moving yards in a couple of weeks (same place as another HHoer as we discovered - small world!) so can start afresh once we are settled but in the mean time we got some online dressage scores back and won our pairs intro relay with 68% and then came 2nd in intro A with 67% and 5th in intro B with 66% so I am really pleased as he went up for sale a month ago after my confidence plummeted. I am really hoping this yard move will be the right thing, I've never moved yards before so I am feeling nervous and excited! Slightly off topic but didn't want to just go silent!

Congrats on the results! (And I'm definitely looking forward to your yard move. It'll be fun to have another HHOer around!)

oldie48

Visit site
Good luck with your move. FWIW a good trainer trains what she/he sees in front of her/him and that is the rider/horse combination. Any horse or pony can be trained to elementary standard it's really only when the more collected paces are required that some horses struggle more than others. I see lots of cobs doing really well at dressage, good luck with yours.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Some times instructors have come through the 'system' of lesson plans and structured training designed for the discipline, but with less actual knowledge of riding and training different horses themselves. Some of them have been lucky enough to ride and train with the typical warmblood type dressage horses the whole way through.
If the horse doesn't respond to the planned lesson in the way that they expect (due to physical limitations or having a different mental way of looking at the world) they don't know how to adapt their training to get the results a different way.

I have a very good friend who trains a lot of people very successfully but struggled with the formal qualifications because on each of his lesson 'plans' (they were given tasks to teach like shoulder in, leg yield etc) he wrote 'I won't have a plan until I see them, they might not be ready for ...' but this wasn't what the assessors wanted to see!

abbijay

Visit site
The right instructor will see past the horse's parents. It doesn't matter if the horse is 11hh or 19hh, an ex-racer or a gypsy cob they are all capable of learning.
I've got a heavy horse that I've trained from being a simple hacker to Elementary (and working his way through medium) our greatest progress has come from instructors who have experience with all sorts of horses and have responded to what happens as we train not decided where our limits lie based on his breeding. When you are training prelim/novice but announce that you want to learn flying changes I don't expect an instructor to laugh! Mine didn't!! You need support and encouragement not belittling, please don't waste your money with someone who doesn't appreciate it!
Have a look at EKW Dressage (she's based in staffs/shrops border but regularly does clinics all over the place) her strap line is "Dressage is for Everyone". If she doesn't already do clinics in your area but you think you could get a small group together she's generally very happy to travel. I can highly recommend her.