Instructors who are also physios/chiros (human)?

ironhorse

Visit site
Does anyone know of any riding instructors who are also human chiropractors or physios?
The action of my friend's new horse REALLY upsets her bad back, and I'm just wondering if an instructor who knew about human backs could reposition her somehow or help her to cope a bit better? We're in the Midlands, but anywhere in the south of England might be helpful.
Oh, and ideally they'd need to have at least a working knowlege of western as the horse is shown in western classes as well as English!

MontyandZoom

Visit site
My friend's goddaughter is a bowen person as well as a dressage rider/instructor. She is coming to London to give me a lesson, treat Zoom's back and then treat my dad who has had a stroke.

I don't know too much about Bowen but I could perhaps update you after she has been next week to let you know if it is suitable?

emma69

Visit site
I don't know of any who are qualified chiros / physios, but have met several over the years who have a good understanding of backs - I had a severe back injury, and thus knew a fair amount through my own rehabillitation back to riding, and could transfer that to my clients afterwards, and my instructor had broken her back, so had a good working knowledge of backs and riding. One approach might be to find a physio who also rides, and ask them to develop exercises for the back - my physio was great in helping me strengthen my core muscles, so they could stay engaged to stop my back being jolted. I also did pilates which helped. I also used a back protector until I had sufficient strength. Until the muscles are strengthened, it might not be a great plan to ride western, you might want to use either an english saddle or post in the western saddle, as trot does have the biggest impact on the back and pelvis. You can also get shock absorbing seat covers (gel) for English saddles - no idea about for western, but you could probably adapt one with a sewing machine. Synthetic saddles are often more comfortable for the rider if they have a bad back. What I found tho, is that if you are 'correct' in your position, and your pelvis is properly engaged (which any instructor should be able to help with) there is less concussion on the back - most problems occur with tension or a tipped position, and not using the pelvis correctly.

Nosey

Visit site
I have had a bad back for years and it often gets worse following any spooky / hairy rides, but I have found a lot of improvement through Pilates as Emma says and really working on my position w/o stirrups then I know I am sitting completely evenly and working my pelvis correctly. I used to subconciously brace my pelvis thinking that was protecting my lower back whereas it was creating tension in both mine and the horses back which then created jarring and pain when anything untoward happened. Your friend could try building her back strength up slowly by working at walk initially w/o stirrups and working up from there.