Insulin Resistance Testing.

Scarlett

Visit site
Having some reoccuring issues with one of my TB's. Have just spoken to my vet who has suggested having him tested for insulin resistance and is getting me an idea of costs put together.

Horse is a 7yo TB, barefoot, each spring/autumn grass flush he comes down with laminitic symptoms and suffers from severe filling of his legs even though he's totally sound on his feet and happy inbetween times. We have terrible grazing at ours and the other horses - all also b/f and all TB or TBx - all cope fine. He came in on Monday with a hot foot and filled leg, that became 4 hot feet and filled legs, a day off grass and he's basically back to normal. He also drinks and wee's a lot. I've now had him over a year, this is my second spring with him, and now we can see a pattern to this happening previously.

His feet are good, we've had a bit of thrush over winter and his white line had stretched slightly but his minerals were adjusted (extra copper and zinc) and both had improved. He hacks out without boots and is only slightly footy on the very stoney surfaces.

Obviously I'm still awaiting an idea of costs but I'm interested to hear of anyone who had had it done, and what changes they made/treatment was advised.

LucyPriory

Visit site
Having some reoccuring issues with one of my TB's. Have just spoken to my vet who has suggested having him tested for insulin resistance and is getting me an idea of costs put together.

Horse is a 7yo TB, barefoot, each spring/autumn grass flush he comes down with laminitic symptoms

Obviously I'm still awaiting an idea of costs but I'm interested to hear of anyone who had had it done, and what changes they made/treatment was advised.

While you are having IR test done, might as well test for Cushings too as there are free vouchers on offer.

For IR diet and exercise changes are often all that is needed. High fibre, low sugar, balanced minerals with 5X week 30 min aerobic exercise (as a minimum, not maximum).
This works really well for the horses that are IR and not undiagnosed Cushings.

For Cushings your vet may well recommend Prascend and if your tests are not obviously positive, but are on the upper side of normal you and your vet may want to consider a Prascend trial. Both of these alternatives have had positive outcomes for the horses I am aware of.

Scarlett

Visit site
While you are having IR test done, might as well test for Cushings too as there are free vouchers on offer.

For IR diet and exercise changes are often all that is needed. High fibre, low sugar, balanced minerals with 5X week 30 min aerobic exercise (as a minimum, not maximum).
This works really well for the horses that are IR and not undiagnosed Cushings.

For Cushings your vet may well recommend Prascend and if your tests are not obviously positive, but are on the upper side of normal you and your vet may want to consider a Prascend trial. Both of these alternatives have had positive outcomes for the horses I am aware of.

Thanks, he is already on a low sugar/high fibre diet - oat chaff, rice bran, linseed, StayCool, 365Complete plus additional cal mag, copper and zinc - and is ridden 5-6 times a week for more than 30 min, he's super fit and inbetween grass flushes is rock crunchingly sound on his feed, vits & minerals and workload. I'm guessing I may need to look at a more specifically balanced supplement or be even more vigilant during spring and autumn flushes. Feeding him is difficult as he won't eat anything requiring soaking and needs plenty of calories to keep weight on him. His current feeds have been a revelation, I'm really hoping we don't need to change anything there...!

pinklilly

Visit site
Mine was tested for insulin resistance when he went into the vets for his lameness work up, it says on my statement lab tests glucose / insulin at liphook £50.40. His tests came back as well within normal levels. He had to be starved overnight, this can be done at home but mine was going into the vets anyway so I preferred to do this there as starving him at livery yard when others being fed seemed a little unfair.

My tb is now 6 and suffers low grade lami in the Spring / Summer months, well he did last year and possibly starting to show symptoms now.

I have been reliably informed low grade laminitis in tbs is much more common than people realize.

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
You can do a fairly rudimentary test using urine dip strips you can buy in any chemist. Ask for ones to test for glucose levels - the higher the glucose in the urine the less well the subject copes with sugar so their insulin isn't effective. Treat by reducing all sugars (including cereals = starch) in the diet. But yes, there is a strong connection with Cushings so ask about the free test and save yourself £45. You will still need a vet visit to take a blood sample though.

LMR

Visit site
I cannot remember the cost of testing of my gelding but he can not tolerate any grass what so ever. maybe try keeping him off the grass?