Insurance company grrrr

Tinseltoes

Visit site
My horse has been stolen,insurance company paying out but they wont give me the insured value,only the purchase price,all because he has NEVER been in comps and there isnt breeding info on his passport.Ive argued with them but no avail.Grrrrrrrrrrrr E&L learn't my lesson.wondering if its worth appealing.They told me it wont make any difference if I do¬

lcharles

Visit site
What is your explanation of why he's worth more now than he was when you bought him? x

Its definately worth trying to appeal, it wont get you any less money anyway! x Will take longer to get it though, but to be honest, i think you're lucky to get any money out of E & L x

Tinseltoes

Visit site
What is your explanation of why he's worth more now than he was when you bought him? x

Its definately worth trying to appeal, it wont get you any less money anyway! x Will take longer to get it though, but to be honest, i think you're lucky to get any money out of E & L x

He was proffesionally broken in and was valued for more money,as his type (coloured gypsy cob) very sought after type,and that he is a very quiet,even so that a complete novice could ride him.

PandorasJar

Visit site
My horse has been stolen,insurance company paying out but they wont give me the insured value,only the purchase price,all because he has NEVER been in comps and there isnt breeding info on his passport.Ive argued with them but no avail.Grrrrrrrrrrrr E&L learn't my lesson.wondering if its worth appealing.They told me it wont make any difference if I do¬

I should imagine you're paying a premium per month for a higher insured value, so request that the excess is refunded? Perhaps this will get you something back on the policy.

Read all the small print and go with a different insurance company next time!

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I should imagine you're paying a premium per month for a higher insured value, so request that the excess is refunded? Perhaps this will get you something back on the policy.

Read all the small print and go with a different insurance company next time!

I sent them a letter via email with a evaluation from the person who broke him in. I told them I am contacting the omnbusman :) so see if that shakes them up.On the phone as I type.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It's worth fighting them. They owed me £800 vets fees for a dog. She had cushings and needed tests and medication for incontinence. The reason for not paying was that I hadn't informed them of a vet visit I made to deal with an in growing toenail! Used their small print that said they had to be informed of all vetrinary conditions. I didn't class it as a condition because it was a one off incident and dealt with for under £40! I nagged and nagged them for 8 months and finally threatened to go to watchdog on TV saying that I could easily drum up more support and more bad stories about them online (You only have to look on the review centre online!). I received a cheque for the full amount that same week. :)

Tinseltoes

Visit site
It's worth fighting them. They owed me £800 vets fees for a dog. She had cushings and needed tests and medication for incontinence. The reason for not paying was that I hadn't informed them of a vet visit I made to deal with an in growing toenail! Used their small print that said they had to be informed of all vetrinary conditions. I didn't class it as a condition because it was a one off incident and dealt with for under £40! I nagged and nagged them for 8 months and finally threatened to go to watchdog on TV saying that I could easily drum up more support and more bad stories about them online (You only have to look on the review centre online!). I received a cheque for the full amount that same week. :)

Oh I will threaten them with that tomorrow :) They only want to give me the price I payed for him,damn cheek I think considering I had him professionally broken in too.
In my email I told them I was going to the omnbusman.

ladyt25

Visit site
Usually they would request a letter from a 'professional source' whether that be an instructor from a riding club, a vet, show judge etc, to substantiate the value. Are there no leads as to where you horse has gone? How horrid :(

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Usually they would request a letter from a 'professional source' whether that be an instructor from a riding club, a vet, show judge etc, to substantiate the value. Are there no leads as to where you horse has gone? How horrid :(

They did get a letter from a proffessional stating his current value.Think theyre trying it on (picked the wrong person ;)
There are no leads where he went.A mystery!!!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Find current adverts for coloured cobs, not competed, similar age and schooling level. They are supposed to pay you market value, I assume? If the small print says purchase price or sum insured, whichever is less, then I guess you're stuffed.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Find current adverts for coloured cobs, not competed, similar age and schooling level. They are supposed to pay you market value, I assume? If the small print says purchase price or sum insured, whichever is less, then I guess you're stuffed.

Yes it did say market value or sum insured.Well Im not letting them get away with it without a fight :) He was not broken or handled when I got him. I had him proffessionally broken in by a very well know person known all over the place!. I wrote a email to E&L and I also put some ads of same breed etc in there too!!! They are trying to pay me the price I payed for him in 2005,unbroken,and was not handled etc
I threatened to go to Watchdog,the omnbusman and the news.:)

ladyt25

Visit site
Definitely keep fighting it. Unfortunately E&L have not improved over the years, it's shocking that they've managed to get away with it. I also don't get how the guy who is involved with E&L (not sure if he's director?) manages to lure people to the equestrian school he's connected with as well (Queen Ethelburgas - I can't spell it this morning though!) in York. The insurance comany have had a hideous reputation for as long as I remember - well over 20 years. I would never touch them again.

I am pretty sure you will get the value of the horse if you fight it. They expect people to not challenge them, that's the problem.

Patterdale

Visit site
I have just made the massive error of going with e&l......the company I've gone with have a different name but in the tiny tiny print it says that it is merely a trading name of e&l. Gutted.

I now need to make a claim for Cushings and I know they're going to try to squirm out of it.

Good luck with your claim OP, and sorry to hear about your horse.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
E&L may pay out but it will take a long time before they do. They normally send out letter after letter to you requesting loads of ridiculous information & hope that you will get fed up & accept the piddling amount they will have already offered.

Some people were posting a while back about how good E&L had been about settling claims. Many of us were very sceptical & this post seems to justify why we were.

This company has received more adverse posts than any other company on this forum & there are numerous other terrible reviews with the very occasional good one available on the net.
http://insurance.equinecompare.co.uk/insurers/1/eandl-reviews

Good Luck with your claim......anyone else considering Equine Insurance or in deed any other do your homework on the company before paying. Remember the premiums may be cheap but they are cheap for a reason!

wench

Visit site
How much did you pay for him, and what did you have him insured for?

The insurance will only pay out for market value, or insured value, whichever is less...

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Definitely keep fighting it. Unfortunately E&L have not improved over the years, it's shocking that they've managed to get away with it. I also don't get how the guy who is involved with E&L (not sure if he's director?) manages to lure people to the equestrian school he's connected with as well (Queen Ethelburgas - I can't spell it this morning though!) in York. The insurance comany have had a hideous reputation for as long as I remember - well over 20 years. I would never touch them again.

I am pretty sure you will get the value of the horse if you fight it. They expect people to not challenge them, that's the problem.

I have just made the massive error of going with e&l......the company I've gone with have a different name but in the tiny tiny print it says that it is merely a trading name of e&l. Gutted.

I now need to make a claim for Cushings and I know they're going to try to squirm out of it.

Good luck with your claim OP, and sorry to hear about your horse.

E&L may pay out but it will take a long time before they do. They normally send out letter after letter to you requesting loads of ridiculous information & hope that you will get fed up & accept the piddling amount they will have already offered.

Some people were posting a while back about how good E&L had been about settling claims. Many of us were very sceptical & this post seems to justify why we were.

This company has received more adverse posts than any other company on this forum & there are numerous other terrible reviews with the very occasional good one available on the net.
http://insurance.equinecompare.co.uk/insurers/1/eandl-reviews

Good Luck with your claim......anyone else considering Equine Insurance or in deed any other do your homework on the company before paying. Remember the premiums may be cheap but they are cheap for a reason!

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!! E&L phoned me this afternoon telling me that he talked with the boss of the adjusters and someone talked to person who broke horse in.I Paid 1000 unbroken in sept 2005 and theyre giving me 2000 and check in post tomorrow.:) which covers him being proffessionally broken and schooled and the fact he was very quiet.

E&L should pay for cushings.