Insurance exclusions!!!! -_-

karen.close

Visit site
Ok so here goes!

Last year my horse had a fractured splint bone that needed operating on, he was sent to the equine hospital and insurance paid up no problems.

This year he was disgnosied via a bone scan as having fused kissing spine 1 vertebra which isn't causing any problems and no concern of the vet, mild arthritis in his right hock, right fore and base of neck. The treatment he has received as it was believed the main problem for him was his hock causing him the most issues, is tildren and hock injections and at present he's doing very well. Insurance paid up fine but reached the 5k limit within 2 mths.

Now my question is, I've just received my renewal with a whole list of exclusions half of which he's never had ... It reads as follows...

Incidents of arthritis, bone spavin, colic, degenerative joint disease, sarcoids, tendon and ligament strains or spavins occurring in the same or opposite limb will not be a valid claim if your horse has previously suffered from that condition, whether or not they occur in the same area or any other area or structure of you horses body!!!

So does there leave much else he is covered for they have practically write the whole of him off! He's never had sarcoids or colic and was always under the assumption that if you claimed for instance on a hock then obviously you wouldn't be able to claim for anything else!

I understand I've had to big claims in a short time but to renew him at £80 per month with practically no vets cover isn't right surely????

Appreciate people's thoughts

Louby

Visit site
I think it sometimes comes to a point when it just isnt worth insuring anymore for vets fees as pretty much everything is excluded. Most insurance companies dont list the exclusions but put a clause somewhere in the policy saying something like 'they will not pay out for any previous ailment including injuries, illnesses ariding from that ailment. So basically if your horse had fractured its leg then they wouldnt pay for anything connected to that injury.
I read your insurances statement as a list of different possible illnesses that they will not cover if he has suffered them before. If he hasnt then you are fine.
Vets will often write to the insurance to question an exclusion and Ive heard of some lifted.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Phone them.
Petplan recently excluded all four legs even though the horse had only been treated on two. After a quick phone call, they changed it for me.

Jazzy B

Visit site
it may be worth calling the insurance company and seeing if you send a letter from the vet some of these exclusions could be lifted. My mare did her digital sheath on her near fore when her insurance came back they had excluded her leg. A year later I got my vet to write to them saying she had been absolutely fine and her leg got reinstated apart from that injury.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It reads as follows...

Incidents of arthritis, bone spavin, colic, degenerative joint disease, sarcoids, tendon and ligament strains or spavins occurring in the same or opposite limb will not be a valid claim if your horse has previously suffered from that condition, whether or not they occur in the same area or any other area or structure of you horses body!!!

surely that is just a standard set of exclusions. If implying that if your horse hasn't suffered those conditions then they are note excluded.

legaldancer

Visit site
surely that is just a standard set of exclusions. If implying that if your horse hasn't suffered those conditions then they are note excluded.

I agree, that little word 'if' is very important.

Basically, it's getting to the point where insuring for vet's bill is just not worth it. In the past I have been so relieved to have cover, but they seem to try and wriggle out of everything these days.

Luci07

Visit site
Having said that, NFU have just paid out for a claim I made with no problems and it was all straightforward. As the final bill approached nearly £2000 I was very glad I had cover. Not quite so happy at how my premiums have risen this time round. I however, did not recieve a list as comprehensive as that listing all those exclusions. I would definately see if you can it reduced - if not I wonder how it could impact your insurance if you tried to insure with another company? as you are required to share all information.

catherine22

Visit site
I have just had mine through and it has the same list. I have taken it to mean if you have had a claim for arthritis in one hock you wont be able to claim for the other hock, the things on the list (like colic) you haven't had are still covered until you do.As my horse has arthritis in his coffin joints and hock I'm not sure how much vets cover is worth having either now. Saying that NFU have always paid up and in full when I have needed to claim

karen.close

Visit site
I have just had mine through and it has the same list. I have taken it to mean if you have had a claim for arthritis in one hock you wont be able to claim for the other hock, the things on the list (like colic) you haven't had are still covered until you do.As my horse has arthritis in his coffin joints and hock I'm not sure how much vets cover is worth having either now. Saying that NFU have always paid up and in full when I have needed to claim

This has come through from NFU,but £80 is such a massive hike!!

karen.close

Visit site
Having said that, NFU have just paid out for a claim I made with no problems and it was all straightforward. As the final bill approached nearly £2000 I was very glad I had cover. Not quite so happy at how my premiums have risen this time round. I however, did not recieve a list as comprehensive as that listing all those exclusions. I would definately see if you can it reduced - if not I wonder how it could impact your insurance if you tried to insure with another company? as you are required to share all information.

I'm going to look into other insurance companys but I also wonder the same :L

ISHmad

Visit site
Give Julie Andrews Insurance Broker a call and see what options she can come up with for you. We used her following many recommendations on here and other forums when we got a hugely increased renewal from NFU despite not having had any claims.

dalidaydream

Visit site
When I was speaking to someone from Petplan about exclusions she told me that it basically doesn't matter whether anything is listed as an exclusion or not. When you claim they contact your vet and if there is anything which could be vaguely linked to your claim in the previous 3 years you will not be covered.

I think a lot of people don't realise this, I certainly didn't and took the decision that it is just not worth paying the insurance when it is unlikely they will pay out.