Insurance exclusions -_-

karen.close

Visit site
Ok so here goes!

Last year my horse had a fractured splint bone that needed operating on, he was sent to the equine hospital and insurance paid up no problems.

This year he was disgnosied via a bone scan as having fused kissing spine 1 vertebra which isn't causing any problems and no concern of the vet, mild arthritis in his right hock, right fore and base of neck. The treatment he has received as it was believed the main problem for him was his hock causing him the most issues, is tildren and hock injections and at present he's doing very well. Insurance paid up fine but reached the 5k limit within 2 mths.

Now my question is, I've just received my renewal with a whole list of exclusions half of which he's never had ... It reads as follows...

Incidents of arthritis, bone spavin, colic, degenerative joint disease, sarcoids, tendon and ligament strains or spavins occurring in the same or opposite limb will not be a valid claim if your horse has previously suffered from that condition, whether or not they occur in the same area or any other area or structure of you horses body!!!

So does there leave much else he is covered for they have practically write the whole of him off! He's never had sarcoids or colic and was always under the assumption that if you claimed for instance on a hock then obviously you wouldn't be able to claim for anything else related to that hock!

I understand I've had to big claims in a short time but to renew him at £80 per month with practically no vets cover isn't right surely????

Appreciate people's thoughts

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I would query it with them. My horse has shivers, bilateral spavins and was diagnosed with ringbone in his left fore this spring. Up until this year, the exclusions had been shivers and bone spavin in both hocks. My renewal came through after the latest claim began and the newest exclusion is "arthritis". I did question it with them as it's only his left fore but they said once it is in one leg, they compensate elsewhere and are therefore more likely to get it in other areas. They did also point out to me that he is still insured for anything else, just not arthritis or shivers. My premium hasn't gone up at all, just have the new, bigger exclusion (which I expected). Thankfully they haven't said "he has arthritis in his left fore therefore we're excluding the entire leg for everything".

How old is he? If he's an older horse I'd be tempted just to have 3rd party and put some money away each month in case of an accident. Mine was 16 this year and I doubt I will renew for vets fees cover next year - if anything happens to him that requires long periods of box rest (ie, months, not weeks), I probably won't put him through it at that age because he would be utterly miserable. Also unlikely to put him through colic surgery at his age so have to decide whether it's really worth having vets fees insurance.

I can't understand why they have excluded colic and sarcoids on your horse?! Phone them and see if you can have that lifted - I had exclusions removed from my old horse's policy.

BlackVelvet

Visit site
What insurance company are you with?

Ive just had a big claim for laminitis and when we renewed that was obviously not covered anymore but other things like colic are still. Also has a massive hike in prices so now im thinking it isnt worth it and to put money into an account.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Ok so here goes!

Last year my horse had a fractured splint bone that needed operating on, he was sent to the equine hospital and insurance paid up no problems.

This year he was disgnosied via a bone scan as having fused kissing spine 1 vertebra which isn't causing any problems and no concern of the vet, mild arthritis in his right hock, right fore and base of neck. The treatment he has received as it was believed the main problem for him was his hock causing him the most issues, is tildren and hock injections and at present he's doing very well. Insurance paid up fine but reached the 5k limit within 2 mths.

Now my question is, I've just received my renewal with a whole list of exclusions half of which he's never had ... It reads as follows...

Incidents of arthritis, bone spavin, colic, degenerative joint disease, sarcoids, tendon and ligament strains or spavins occurring in the same or opposite limb will not be a valid claim if your horse has previously suffered from that condition, whether or not they occur in the same area or any other area or structure of you horses body!!!

So does there leave much else he is covered for they have practically write the whole of him off! He's never had sarcoids or colic and was always under the assumption that if you claimed for instance on a hock then obviously you wouldn't be able to claim for anything else related to that hock!

I understand I've had to big claims in a short time but to renew him at £80 per month with practically no vets cover isn't right surely????

Appreciate people's thoughts

KAREN.CLOSE :) ONE SENTENCE

TELL THEM TO STICK IT.SERIOUSLY I DID you will be better off saving 80 a month in your special account details to follow

My mare still has laminitis they said they would not cover it because of her age laminitis is an illness not injury

so i said if a horse comes into the yard with strangles and gives it to my horse they said your not covered , so I said right stick it closed her account and the other 2 now have a bank account called insurance account

this is exactly why i dumped my insurance company SEIB for the horses KBIS was better in quote but their exclusions were RIDICULOUS :eek:

as mentioned get 3rd party and put all the money you would normally put in their account in a new interest account.

Your bank will help mine did Barclays were very helpful she suggested two accounts linked together would give me the best interest so the money in is split two ways , but i only need one credit card its a bit like the letter *Y* the stalk is the credit card money split 2 ways so when i pay anything for the vet money comes out like it would 1 account not confusing as i just think of it as one account with a split in it . I think i am well into 4 figures now by doing this i worked out

2 horses 450 each 900 a year from the last claim 2003 i spent £ 4800

i have not needed any of that :( in a claim

my mare in her life 21 years that i have owned her 2 max 3 claims again loads money .
so all i keep is horsebox and car insurance

save your money open a bank account put the money ( an any extra) in there let it accumulate you will be amazed how much builds up

Last edited:

karen.close

Visit site
I would query it with them. My horse has shivers, bilateral spavins and was diagnosed with ringbone in his left fore this spring. Up until this year, the exclusions had been shivers and bone spavin in both hocks. My renewal came through after the latest claim began and the newest exclusion is "arthritis". I did question it with them as it's only his left fore but they said once it is in one leg, they compensate elsewhere and are therefore more likely to get it in other areas. They did also point out to me that he is still insured for anything else, just not arthritis or shivers. My premium hasn't gone up at all, just have the new, bigger exclusion (which I expected). Thankfully they haven't said "he has arthritis in his left fore therefore we're excluding the entire leg for everything".

How old is he? If he's an older horse I'd be tempted just to have 3rd party and put some money away each month in case of an accident. Mine was 16 this year and I doubt I will renew for vets fees cover next year - if anything happens to him that requires long periods of box rest (ie, months, not weeks), I probably won't put him through it at that age because he would be utterly miserable. Also unlikely to put him through colic surgery at his age so have to decide whether it's really worth having vets fees insurance.

I can't understand why they have excluded colic and sarcoids on your horse?! Phone them and see if you can have that lifted - I had exclusions removed from my old horse's policy.

Hi he is 13! no I can't understand it either its so frustrating, I know one things for sure I'm not paying that for a horse partly covered! I can understand the arthritis I just alway understood it as if I claimed for the hock on one side the other would be covered but I'm reading it that it isn't :(

karen.close

Visit site
KAREN.CLOSE :) ONE SENTENCE

TELL THEM TO STICK IT.SERIOUSLY I DID you will be better off saving 80 a month in your special account details to follow

My mare still has laminitis they said they would not cover it because of her age laminitis is an illness not injury

so i said if a horse comes into the yard with strangles and gives it to my horse they said your not covered , so I said right stick it closed her account and the other 2 now have a bank account called insurance account

this is exactly why i dumped my insurance company SEIB for the horses KBIS was better in quote but their exclusions were RIDICULOUS :eek:

as mentioned get 3rd party and put all the money you would normally put in their account in a new interest account.

Your bank will help mine did Barclays were very helpful she suggested two accounts linked together would give me the best interest so the money in is split two ways , but i only need one credit card its a bit like the letter *Y* the stalk is the credit card money split 2 ways so when i pay anything for the vet money comes out like it would 1 account not confusing as i just think of it as one account with a split in it . I think i am well into 4 figures now by doing this i worked out

2 horses 450 each 900 a year from the last claim 2003 i spent £ 4800

i have not needed any of that :( in a claim

my mare in her life 21 years that i have owned her 2 max 3 claims again loads money .
so all i keep is horsebox and car insurance

save your money open a bank account put the money ( an any extra) in there let it accumulate you will be amazed how much builds up

I think you might be right it just worries me incase anything else happens and I don't have enough to afford it! This last year has made it quite evident just how expensive vets and treatment and supplements are!

moorman

Visit site
Try the Chinese system, offer you vet £30 a month to keep your horse sound and healthy, its funny how you start to see your vet more, and things get sorted before they even happen!

lizness

Visit site
"Incidents of arthritis, bone spavin, colic, degenerative joint disease, sarcoids, tendon and ligament strains or spavins occurring in the same or opposite limb will not be a valid claim if your horse has previously suffered from that condition, whether or not they occur in the same area or any other area or structure of you horses body!!!"

It said this in mine too. I read it as a general new rule, e.g if your horse has been seen to have had arthritus it is not covered after a year anywhere...etc.

Sarcoids if they have been seen before will not be covered after a year...

Which is in general usual insurance guides.

glenruby

Visit site
Moorman - Id assume they also kill them at the first sight of a problem as there isnt as of yet a chinese equine hospital - and only last month was the first elective orthopaedic procedure caried out.

If i read your "exclsions" properly it said that IF your horse has previously had colic, tendons or sarcoids (etc) they would be excluded. As he hasnt suffered from those, it appears he is covered. Double check to make sure. If he is still covered for those things it probably will be worth re-insuring him.

As an aside, today I had a horse blood tested, clin examined, gastroscoped and abdo ultrasounded for £120! Can anyone beat that? Oh, and a prescription for the required drugs included!