Insurance for occasional rider help please

maree t

Visit site
Following on from the dreadfull story of the lady with a broken back .....
I have got a couple of disabled children coming to ride my ponies during the summer. I dont charge or teach (not qualified ) . I am now worried that we have no insurance and have started trying to look into it. The BHS gold membership looks like it would cover me for public liability and personal accident but I dont ride and would be better off joining the kids up instead ? should I insist that the parents join up the kids ? Not sure how much one of them will be able to come so wether it is worth her doing it ?.
The ponies are in my name as kids too young to hold a passport so I think I will have to have a family membership ? seem to be going round in circles with it so any advice will be appreciated . thanks

wyrdsister

Visit site
As first port of call I'd probably contact the BHS and ask their advice. It may also be worth looking into rider policies. I'm sure as a young rider my mother had a rider policy for me that covered the inevitable pony-swapping we all did as kids. I took a similar policy out later when I was riding for other people a bit too. Annually, they're not too pricey. Mine was with Petplan.

What a nice thing to do for the children :)

maree t

Visit site
Thanks,
I have just spoken to NFU and they think it will be about £65 for the year each child. I think I need to join BHS and then make sure they arrange their own insurance.
Isnt it a shame to have to be worrying about it but I think I will feel happier while they are here.

Kat

Visit site
Just because you don't ride doesn't mean you don't need public liability insurance. It gives you cover for any accident caused by your horse for exampleif it escapes the field.