Insurance for 'teaching' other kids on a pony share?

Turks

Visit site
I probably know the answer to this but just in case... I'm pony sharing with an old friend and am teaching her children to ride. It's informal with no set agreement. She brings the pony and set up (field/stables) - I bring the experience and help. It's working out very well and the pony is old and brilliant but clearly someone can always get hurt. I have no formal instruction qualifications. The pony is insured re liability on their home insurance. In today's world I should have some sort of liability cover but are there policies out there for my circumstances? Who would want to insure me?! We have other kids pop up and have lots of fun with 90% being on the lead rein and slow and steady and I don't want to be the killjoy as it's so lovely seeing them enjoying it all. Thanks:)

Shay

Visit site
I hate to be a kill joy - but the owner's 3rd party liability probably won't cover if there is an adult teaching. All liability would fall on the responsible adult. Not only in the event of an accident but also for any issues arising under child protection legislation which can be incredibly far reaching.

Obviously there is a lot of insurance options available - but all require that you are accredited as an instructor. This doesn't mean BHS necessarily. You can be accredited and insured as a pony club instructor with relatively few formal qualifications - but you do have to have a current first aid certificate and child protection training.

Holding yourself out as a responsible adult around children and horses can be extremely expensive. As Harris v Miller showed - just being present as an adult when a child has an accident can have massive implications. Harris was awarded over £3M+ costs. Considerably more than Miller's 3rd party insurance. And she was the owner - you would not have even that much protection.

Roxylola

Visit site
It is difficult and I understand not wanting to be a killjoy, but accidents do happen, including freak out of the blue life changing ones- the pony stumbles, kid drops off lands funny and is badly scarred, needs surgery, bad enough dislocation that ends in amputation, or even broken back or neck. If I were uninsured teaching I would never forgive myself that someone might struggle to get the help they could have had if I were insured.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Obviously there is a lot of insurance options available - but all require that you are accredited as an instructor.

Thats not true. You can get free lance teaching insurance without having formal qualifications. Last time I looked into it it was about £300 a year so not too expensive

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thats not true. You can get free lance teaching insurance without having formal qualifications. Last time I looked into it it was about £300 a year so not too expensive

I once helped someone arrange this too, with Julie Andrews Insurance. They were experienced but no formal qualifications. Many competitors who teach (and are insured) don't have training or riding qualifications. It is certainly worth calling for a quote.

Shay

Visit site
Always good to learn something new! Accreditation as a PC Instructor is free of course; but you do have to go to training courses which can cost - like the first aid one. I always thought professional riders were also affiliated and so covered by their affiliated body and the BEF - but I suppose it is also possible to be a professional and not affiliate to anything.

Just be sure the cover is sufficient. The law on recovery of damages has changed recently and the sums recoverable can now be significantly higher. That impacts all spheres - not just equestrian. Wait until you renew your car insurance! In the case I mentioned above it was widely reported that the sum awarded plus the costs exceeded the total cover on the owner's insurance. I don't know if that is true - but it certainly is worth checking the cover levels.

Turks

Visit site
This is sobering stuff!!
Sorry for the delay and thank you all for your help.
I'm very reluctant to shell out hundreds for the benefit of helping others so I'll have some hard thinking to do.
In terms of child protection and first aid I'm trained in both and it is with the parents present so in reality I don't see concerns with that although it's a clear tick box issue if I have formal insurance.
Essentially with other people's kids I do very gentle things as I'm very conscious of risk for all those reasons but still pony stumbled and I had a (gentle) faller the other day.
Hhhhmmmmm

zaminda

Visit site
I would talk to the parents, and say you need to be insured, look at it as a cost of the pony, and split it? I know someone who didn't sue when she came off and broke her back in a lesson, (and from what happened I have to say what was her instructor thinking?!) but with a child they would.