insurance for youngsters

alfiesmum

Visit site
is it normal for the insurance company to ask how much your stud fee was and who is the sire?
also they have said that they can only treble the stud fee to get the value of the youngster!!! I know that has totally shocked me, so basically what they saying is that if you pay 700 for your stud fee your foal/yearling is only valued at 1400 max!

totally gobsmacked by this insurance companys attitude today!

velv

Visit site
I would go with KBIS I insured mine with them.I lost a yearling to colic last year, stud fee was 600 insured her for 3000 and they paid in full and sent a lovely sorry for your loss card!

stimpy

Visit site
I have just insured my youngster with KBIS. I insure all my horses with them, and I have given them all a nominal value of £1000 as it's really just the liability and vets fees that interest me, not really the mortality pay out as if they die I wouldn't replace any of them. I did the yearling at £1000 same as all the others and they didn't ask me about the stud fee but her market value is probably more like £1600-£1800 which is way more than three times the stud fee!

Horsey123

New User
Visit site
Hi Ive found NFU and KBIS both good in the past. As someone above said its more for the liability and vets fees for me at this stage. I think if you can prove a higher market value in writing by an independent professional then you may be able to get a higher value if you want it.

Rollin

Visit site
is it normal for the insurance company to ask how much your stud fee was and who is the sire?
also they have said that they can only treble the stud fee to get the value of the youngster!!! I know that has totally shocked me, so basically what they saying is that if you pay 700 for your stud fee your foal/yearling is only valued at 1400 max!

totally gobsmacked by this insurance companys attitude today!

I have just had this. I normally insure our foals to cover our breeding costs. Now they want to know the stud fee, which as I own the stallion and we don't take visiting mares, is a nonsense.

I have been told I can no longer insure for the 'cost' of the foal. In France that included obtaining a 'stallion book' even if we only breed one foal, all the swabs and obligatory vaccinations for the stallion, vets fees etc.

I have decided not to insure our latest foal, not worth the premium.

Bennions Field

Visit site
Rollin, I used nfu for my pre filly when she was still in Spain, they were more than happy to cover her before she came to the uk, they said it worked out lots cheaper for them as vets fees were loads cheaper there! They actually put her premium up once she got to the uk, might be worth a look for you if you haven't already?

Rollin

Visit site
Rollin, I used nfu for my pre filly when she was still in Spain, they were more than happy to cover her before she came to the uk, they said it worked out lots cheaper for them as vets fees were loads cheaper there! They actually put her premium up once she got to the uk, might be worth a look for you if you haven't already?

I insured with NFU when I was in Scotland, I thought they had refused too. I will ask again.