Insurance - GRRRR!!!

Becki1802

Visit site
Basically wondering what you pay and for what cover?

I now have 2 horses and can't afford NFUs £55 / horse for them both. This covers vets fees and loss of animal and maybe £500 worth of tack! The other bits being public liability and injury to third parties.

Has anyone used www.horse-insurance.co.uk
Their online quote is literally a third less! Has anyone any experience of them? Good or bad?!

I'm sick of insurance... car insurance, trailer, house... it is costing me and hubby a fortune!!

I've actually been contemplating horse self-insuring! & putting the money in a bank account! I have savings that would cover me if something bad happened tomorrow & I personally disagree with surgeries like kissing spine and would rather put them out their misery!!

ladyt25

Visit site
horse-insurance.co.uk is E&L so, while it may seem wonderfully cheap, you get what you pay for and only realise WHY it's so cheap when you try and claim!!!

If you need more than liability cover there are other companies - another online one is insuremyhorse.co.uk, that is run by CETA insurance and underwritten by towergate aiua and you can put more than one horse on one policy so that saves some money on policy fees. Otherwise there's the likes of KBIS and SEIB who may be able to give you a competitive quote.

AndiK

Visit site
I used to be with NFU - was paying £35 per month then the renewal came through at £55 per month!!! :eek: I had not claimed, indeed I had not claimed in the 6 years I had been with them!

I rang them and asked about this massive increase and was fed some rubbish about offers and tax ect.... They did nothing to try and keep my as a customer :(

I left and now am with SEIB - same sort of cover, £1.5 million third party instead of £2 million and no loss of use as my boy is a veteran - £29 per month....

Becki1802

Visit site
horse-insurance.co.uk is E&L so, while it may seem wonderfully cheap, you get what you pay for and only realise WHY it's so cheap when you try and claim!!!

LadyT that was my concern!!! Will stop looking at them & try the other links. If I insure both with vets fees for about £50-60 I'll carry on insuring but £110 is taking the piss!!!

AndiK

Visit site
Should also mention my friend used to be with E&L and had massive problems when it came to making a claim, took her nearly a year to get them to pay out! :eek:

Becki1802

Visit site
Should also mention my friend used to be with E&L and had massive problems when it came to making a claim, took her nearly a year to get them to pay out! :eek:

Thanks! I will try SEIB then!! I don't want the works - I just want to know I've got £££ if they come in with an injury!!

BabyA

Visit site
I insured my horse with the NFU, 3 months after having her she looked like she was tied up one morning when i got her out of the stable. Long story short she ended up at The Royal Vet College where i expected the insurance to pay for any treatment/investigation work. My Horse was at the college a week and i called the insurance company to explain what was going on, they didnt explain correct procedure of putting a claim in place i just assumed she would be covered. Even though i called them nobody sent me a claim form, i had to chase it. My Horse was diagnosed with OCD rated at a level 4. 5 being worse. I completely understand about quality of life for a animal and having seen her just fall down a few times i sort of knew the out come which was best for her. Sadly i feel the College did every test going and still assuming the NFU were paying i agreed, which is also why i feel the college did every test as the insurance were paying.
I was shocked when the NFU said they wouldnt be paying anything as the Horse had a disease and she was only covered for illness. When insuring the Horse id asked for her to be insured for everything. £3750.00 vet bill at the college, £200 with my own vet and loss of a £5000.00 horse so i am quite out of pocket! Ive tried to fight it and its not even clear on my policy what exactly she was insured for as i didn't even get loss of use.
My advice would be to check exactly what you're insured for!

caramel

Visit site
I'm with petplan and they've been wonderful, we've now got 5 exclusions acquired over the past year and my renewal has only gone up by £3! mega impressed. No other insurance company will insure him now so we're sticking with petplan.