Insurance.. is £3000 per claim enough?

Flyermc

Visit site
both my horses were insured with petplan, ive never had an issue with claims for either, both were PTS and both were paid out for death.

vmac66

Visit site
I'm with SEIB and have £5000 vet fees. Will shortly be finding out if it's enough as my mate is being referred to Leahurst force possible trapped nerve.

Dru

Visit site
I have Petplan's lower policy ie £500 excess and £3500 cover per condition. In my first year of horse ownership I've maxed out 3 claims and had to pay out £7k on top of that. Petplan have been fantastic and not quibbled at all, even though they could have arguably refused one of the claims.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Have a look at scottish equestrain. They have been brilliant with mine.

But sometimes treatment will go over the insurance and you have to have a plan for that.

My boys keratoma diagnosis and op came to just over his insurance limit of £4,000 but then he was in the hospital two weeks (we chose two weeks as it was for him such a big op and wanted the first two weeks to be with the vets)which we had to pay for and needed vet out for sedation and bandage changes as he wouldnt let me donit unsedated.
All in all its come to about £10,000 as he has had xrays and abcesses since but we had a chat and did it knowing it would cost that much.

Carlosmum

Visit site
3k will not be enough. Having said that, 5k will not be enough either if you need colic surgery.
I'm with NFU and have 5k - they do pay out and will pay the vet direct.

I was with the NFU when Carlo had colic surgery, the bill for op + drugs for 3 days in surgery was over 6k. Sadly he was PTS. NFU paid out 5k on the vets fees & also gave me £1500 for 'loss of horse' which covered the remainder of the bill