Insurance needed?

Smiler33

Visit site
Hi, I've just started riding someone's horses - she's got 4 and appreciates the company just as I appreciate horses to ride!

She did mention insurance - is this something I need to look into to make sure I'm covered when I'm riding a horse that isn't my own? This is all new territory for me so I thought I'd ask your advice.

Many thanks :)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It isn't law that you have insurance however it makes sense to have 3rd party liability insurance should anything happen, damage be caused, person injured etc when you are in charge of a horse. You can speak to any of the major horse Insurance companies & they will be able to advise you of what you will need. (E&L will probably be the cheapest but their reputation for paying out is not good so try the others)

Some will say that if you join BHS as a gold member then you automatically get this cover but if you read the details it is only when you are riding! If you aren't i.e. horse escapes from yard, runs into the road, car hits horse, people injured, car wrecked etc then BHS insurance probably wouldn't cover you. If you have a 'full policy' then you would be covered. If you don't have insurance in this scenario then Oh dear, mega problem & your life will change forever!

You need to sort out some insurance & this policy is't a vast amount of money. ;)

Good luck with the riding.

harveysmom

Visit site
Hi, i think in this day and age of everyone suing everyone else insurance is a good idea.
try asking carriagehouse insurance, im insured with them they do a sort of mix and match policy 3rd party cover and personal accident is about £50.00, speak to them they may have a policy just for your situation
i hope this helps

suffolkmare

Visit site
As an owner I now have carriagehouse insurance, but before have had a rider-only policy from Petplan, similar cost to what Harveysmom said.

tankgirl1

Visit site
I part loan, owner has her own policy covering vets bills, liability etc etc I have joined BHS as gold member to cover us when I am out hacking

s4sugar

Visit site
It isn't law that you have insurance however it makes sense to have 3rd party liability insurance should anything happen, damage be caused, person injured etc when you are in charge of a horse. You can speak to any of the major horse Insurance companies & they will be able to advise you of what you will need. (E&L will probably be the cheapest but their reputation for paying out is not good so try the others)

Some will say that if you join BHS as a gold member then you automatically get this cover but if you read the details it is only when you are riding! If you aren't i.e. horse escapes from yard, runs into the road, car hits horse, people injured, car wrecked etc then BHS insurance probably wouldn't cover you. If you have a 'full policy' then you would be covered. If you don't have insurance in this scenario then Oh dear, mega problem & your life will change forever!

You need to sort out some insurance & this policy is't a vast amount of money. ;)

Good luck with the riding.

Where do you find that BHS gold only covers riding?
www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/BHS/Files/PD...Liability Insurance Terms and Conditions.ashx

Polos Mum

Visit site
Some will say that if you join BHS as a gold member then you automatically get this cover but if you read the details it is only when you are riding! If you aren't i.e. horse escapes from yard, runs into the road, car hits horse, people injured, car wrecked etc then BHS insurance probably wouldn't cover you.

This isn't true, after much debate (have a look up a recent thread) this misunderstanding comes from a very badly worded FAQ on the BHS web site. If you read the details of the policy (short 2 page version and long 18 page version) you certainly are covered for all aspects of horse care/ ownership.
(is escaping onto road etc.)

One poster on here was calling the BHS to point out that their FAQs were really misleading.

OP - rider only insurance may be worth it for you as it would cover acidental injury - so if you fell off and broke your leg and couldn't work for 8 weeks you could get come cash coming in, etc. Lots of rider only policies with different levels of cover to have a look at and see which one suits your circumstances.

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
As Polos Mum has stated, the public liability insurance provided by SEIB as a benefit to our Gold members is not limited only to when you're riding. The insurance provides cover for any third party injury or property damage caused by your horse when you're legally liable or negligent. It also covers such incidents when riding someone else's horse as long as you're not being paid to do so.

Full details of the cover can be found on our website. We're sorry if anyone feels our FAQs are misleading in any way and any feedback to membership@bhs.org.uk is always welcome.

Whoever you're insured with, we'd always recommend having public liability insurance as a minimum.