Insurance prices

SDH

Visit site
The NFU has just informed me that my renewal (due next week) is going to be 660quid
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

This is for two horses - for vet fees, public liability, death. One is 13, LOU and although still "insured" has quite a lot excluded i.e. his feet, all ligaments+tendons
The other is 16 this year, "worth" 2k and I've never had a claim on him
smile.gif

So as this seems like a LOT. I was wondering about calling around for a few more quotes. Please recommend your insurance co.....

Also aware that the 16yr old will be v.difficult to insure on a "new" policy that isnt a veteran policy. Grrrrr.

MarleyandDarcy

Visit site
I have my 18 year old with PetPLan £12.99 a month - she is only covered for visible injury - I wasn't going to bother then thought it'd be just my luck and with the way my 2 gallop around bucking side by side I'd end up with a horse with a hole in her leg!
Veteran horse cover seems to be pretty rubbish really - old age dogs don't seem to get such a bad deal with insurance.

BigRed

Visit site
You need to look at the cost by saying it is £330 each horse, it doesn't matter what they are worth, it is the vet fees that bump up the price, maybe you could ask for a higher excess ? I actually don't think £330 a horse is expensive.

My 15 year old is with NFU and I pay more than £330.

Remember, you get what you pay for, so try someone cheaper and it may not be worth it, when you try to claim.

fell

Visit site
I was recommended Amtrust Equine on the forum, got a really good quote, also very friendly, horsey and they pay the claims really quickly so once my claim is paid by another equine insurance company (waited over 3 months already)!! (not the dreaded one) but one also beginning with E i will be moving to Amtrust Equine.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Are you a Gold member of the BHS, that will cover you for public liability, so a saving there?
How long have the exclusions been on without needing any treatment? You could try asking for those to be lifted or at least reduced.
Are you honest about the market value of the horses as they will only pay out the market value anyway so if you have them too high you're not only paying too much in premiums, you'll lose out at the other end too?

I have a 18 year old with them but just for death as I'm a Gold member and don't have vet cover or LOU. He was originally at £2000 and it was over £80 the year, but I was realistic, asked their advice and dropped him to £1500 which brought it down to about £55. They would have been happy taking the larger amount but if anything had happened, they would have fought that original value so I'd get on the phone and query it all if I was you.

Otherwise, try KBIS; I've had all my others with them for years and they have been brilliant; they are all horsey too which helps a lot when you need to talk to them.

SNORKEY

Visit site
I pay KBIS £25 a month to insure my horse for maximum vets fee's, no loss of use and value £5k. They quoted £13 a month for my mums mare who was 19 at the time and excluded legs, due to an old tendon injury.
Hope that helps give you an idea of prices a little more.