Insurance Query... Loss of Use

Bobbins

New User
Visit site
Does any one have first hand experience of claiming loss of use with Pet Plan?

Does anyone know what the 'rules' are as regards claiming LOU and then having the horse put to sleep?

hellybelly6

Visit site
Look in your policy.

As a rule if the horse is well enough to be in a field, PTS is not covered.

If you go for LOU, any other claims are null and void, such as treatment for colic or lameness etc.

sassyequine

Visit site
Bobbins,

I have sadly experienced LOU from pet plan twice in 3 years. With my first horse he was subsequently PTS as we couldn't keep him field sound and out of pain. However PP did not insist on this, if we had kept him they simply would have freeze branded him. My second one, we have just settled LOU and she is going to be a mum instead of an eventer! Both were stressful and horrid but best outcome for the horse. In the second case she is still fully insured for everything unlike the above post the only exclusion is the orginal injury. PM if you want more details.
Good luck

ladyt25

Visit site
You can claim LOU if you elect to have the horse PTS when it doesn't warrant a case for immediate humane destruction under BEVA guidelines. That is the point of having Loss of Use cover as Death cover will not cover in these circumstances. For a death payment the horse has to either have died or it has to be a case of PTS being the only option.

For LOU you can either elect to keep the horse - in which case you may have to pay the insurers a small 'salvage' fee as theorectically the insurance co will own the horse if they settle a 100% LOU claim