Insurance query - splitting claim

emfen1305

Visit site
I am calling the insurance company later today but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced something similar..

Last October I opened a poor performance claim with NFU under vets advice. First port of call was scoping, found ulcers and treated them, but still felt the horse wasn't right. Vet came back out and agreed but has no facilities so referred to vet hospital for bone scan and another lameness work up. He went in January and had the scan, it was clear bar hot spots showed in the hocks so they did nerve blocks and xrayed and found to have mild arthritis in both hocks so he was medicated and sent home. Unfortunately when he got back home he had an episode of colic, vet came out and gave him some buscopan and all was OK. NFU were great through all of this and paid everything and were willing to pay for the colic on the same claim as it was related to the travelling but I paid for it separately just to be on the safe side. In January, NFU asked me if I wanted to pay another £145 split my claim into two claims, one for ulcers and one for arthritis. Spoke to the vet who advised against this as wouldn't need all of the money on the insurance so would be wasting £145 so informed NFU to keep under one claim.

Fast forward 10 months, horse went a little stuffy and awkward again so rescoped and ulcers have come back, managed to squeeze 4 weeks of treatment in before claim runs out. Hocks have been on my mind, he's displaying similar symptoms to last year but don't know whether that's ulcer related or hock related. Physio came out at weekend and agreed he didn't look as good as he did after the injections so advised trying to split the claim to get an extra injection before the arthritis claim runs out in Jan. Has anybody split their claim after telling their insurer they want to stay on the same claim? I am just wondering what the implications would be.. By rights they are two totally separate issues (i know they can go hand in hand but for the purpose of insurance i am treating the separately). Any advice would be great, kicking myself for not splitting when my gut told me to and now worried it's too late!

Boulty

Visit site
You're best speaking to NFU about this. Tbh as they did offer you the option to do so and you turned it down then they may just say that it's all been grouped under "the poor performance" heading and that they can't do that or they may be feeling nice and still allow you to pay the second excess and split it. Given that quite a bit of time has passed since they asked you and they've already paid out on several bills with them grouped together my gut would say that you wouldn't now be able to change your mind but you don't know unless you ask (They've paid out on stuff I didn't expect them to before)

Michen

Visit site
Speak to NFU. They are such a fab company, paid my horses colic bill despite him having similar surgery four years previously due to peritonitis. They had every right not to pay it as you would expect anything gastric to be excluded.

I would have a chat with them I'm sure they will be ameanable.

emfen1305

Visit site
Thanks both! I've emailed with the entire chain so hopefully I'll get an answer either way! My vet just didn't explain the implications well enough, I was led to believe the steroid injections wouldn't need to be repeated within the year but kicking myself for not just paying the £145 when I had the chance. Never mind, lesson learned. I'll update just in case anyone ends up in the same situation!

Emily99

Visit site
You only get 12 months from when the condition is first noted. So if it’s time that is tight then splitting the claim if they do let you won’t change anything.

emfen1305

Visit site
You only get 12 months from when the condition is first noted. So if it’s time that is tight then splitting the claim if they do let you won’t change anything.

If i split I would get until January to look at the hocks again but if all under one claim then I can't do anything about the hocks after next week as that's when I started investigating the ulcers. I havent heard back but I think i'll just leave them under one and spend the excess on the injections myself and then I can have them done when I want rather than being limited by the 52 weeks.