Insurance question- do they record passport details for exclusion?

claire1976

Visit site
I am considering buying a horse that has been saved from abattoir. She is a pretty tb mare, retired after 2 races sound. I have no recent history about her other than she was saved from Beeston sales 2-3 weeks ago. Despite her feet being in awful condition she walks and trots sound. However, I suspect she has ended up in sales due to lameness in the past. She has heart bars on front, which look like they have been on around 3-4 months! I reckon she will have typical TB feet- thin soles and flat feet etc.
I'm taking a gamble as she is a really nice natured horse. So my question is- If I insure her would her details show up if a previous claim had been made by a past owner? Would she be excluded for pre- existing conditions given that I don't know anything about her. I have had no success in tracing previous owner so I cannot gain any more info.

ladyt25

Visit site
No. Insurance companies do not have access to that information. Unless by some fluke she was insured with them previously and they have a way of searching passports (as far as I know they don't unless things have changed)

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Beeston sales is not an abbatoir so why do you say she was saved?

It's that latest fad!! Saved sounds so much better than brought!!:p

Out of interest is her Passport signed at the back, thus preventing going into the foo chain? If it is then no Meatman would have bid on her.;)

claire1976

Visit site
Thank you ladyt25 for answering my question. I don't need to give anymore info than I have, she was bought at Beeston by someone who owns an abattoir and she thinks she is worth a shot. As far as I am concerned I would be saving her, end of.

Hot_Toddy7

Visit site
AFAIK the only reason insurance companies record passports numbers is to check the identity of the horse in the event of a claim. For example if you had 2 very similar horses (and a good relationship with your vet), there is the possibility of fraud by trying to claim under a different horse of the same description!

s4sugar

Visit site
AFAIK the only reason insurance companies record passports numbers is to check the identity of the horse in the event of a claim. For example if you had 2 very similar horses (and a good relationship with your vet), there is the possibility of fraud by trying to claim under a different horse of the same description!

Before microchips it was not unknown for some studs to insure one mare of each colour.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You will be able to get her history from her previous owner/trainer op. However, I would ask that the current owners have the horse re-shod before you purchase - to ensure the horse remains sound.

WelshD

Visit site
I would too. Imagine 'saving' a horse then not giving it immediate attention when its clear the shoes are months old then selling it on a couple of weeks later without a qualm.

Clippy

Visit site
I believe some insurers do now ask for the passport number. I sent a horse on trial a few weeks ago and the trialler asked me for the passport number for insurance purposes

claire1976

Visit site
I have spoken to breeder and trainer but there is a 2 year gap in her history. Last owner on passport was in 2012 and attempts to contact them so far have proved fruitless. Farrier is coming fri and I have asked her to tell him to leave shoes off and do a conservative trim so she doesn't go foot sore.

cyclo man

Visit site
OP I think your question was what would the insurance co. know or do about pre existing conditions? They are unlikely to know anything about this horse in the circumstances you describe as indeed neither do you, you should however be aware that if a problem arises and results in a claim they are entitled to refuse your claim if their vet "believes" the condition was pre existing, e.g. a long standing chronic condition that could not have developed in the time you have owned him. I have no wish to offer an opinion on what you are proposing to do, that is your business, just please dont rely on being able to claim on insurance to care for this horse. Good luck whatever you decide.

glenruby

Visit site
They will only know the history if by chance she has previously been insured with the same company you plan on insuring with. They can and do refuse to insure based on past history. I have known buyers to find out their horses (chequered) history by phoning up to be insured and being refused insurance.

lula

Visit site
i have to agree with piebald sparkle on this. This isnt really 'saving'. It was offered to you to purchase and you bought it. The lady owns an abbatoir but if the mare had been intended to end up on the hook she would have and you'd have been none the wiser.
Plenty of slaughterhouses indulge in a little dealing on the side especially if the animal cant end up in the food chain.

Semantics i know and i dont mean to rain on your parade just not sure why you insist on using the word saved but i guess it does give you a warm feeling inside.

The mare has got a second chance with you though and that's the main thing. So many horses, so few homes these days. :(

Sorry i cant help you with your question, but it looks like some good advice has been already given. Good luck.

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
I am uncertain from the way you have written your post whether your concern is to find out your mare's history or to ensure that your insurance company do not. The latter would of course be fraud.

There are only a small number of horse insurers and the chances of her being insured under her passported name with the one you ask to quote you are quite high. Especially if you ask for a quote from all the big ones to compare prices.

As someone else has said, please don't think that you are going to be able to claim for any treatment for issues that this mare was sold with, which are likely to be in the navicular spectrum if she is wearing bar shoes.

I think it is unlikely that a conservative trim is going to prevent her from being sore for a while when those shoes come off, just to warn you.

Check out the barefoot threads, flat weak feet are not a genetic issue with TBs, they are a diet and early-shoing issue which can usually be corrected.