Insurance Question...

hannah9000

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a vets bill which I'd like to claim on my insurance for. However, the horse in question is no longer under my care. At the moment i'm still paying his insurance as he's only just gone to his new owner so I've not cancelled it yet.

My question, can I claim for the bill and then cancel my policy once it's paid? I will continue to pay the monthly premium until it's all done but obviously I'll want to cancel it afterwards, is that allowed?

trottingon

Visit site
Was the horse under your care and/or owned by you, at the time of treatment and as per all the details shown on your policy? If so I can't see there being a problem. If not I can only suggest you'll have to read the policy smallprint.

ladyt25

Visit site
You can continue to claim for any outstanding bills that may still be coming for any treatment the horse had whilst still in your ownership. However, now that you have sold it you have no insurable interest in the horse so you will not be able to claim if the horse is having any ongoing treatment. If the horse is no longer yours then I would cancel your policy.

Alec Swan

Visit site
One small and possibly important point. Have you advised your insurers that the horse is at a different location than when it was with you?

If you haven't, then I'd do so, and a bit sharpish!! Insurers will look for any excuse to avoid their responsibilities.

Alec.

ETS, having read ladyt25's response, that may also be the way to see things!

Last edited:

galaxy

Visit site
Was the horse owned by you/ you were responsible for the him when the bill occured? If yes then you can cancel the policy and still claim.

My old boy was PTS. The policy was cancelled from the day he died, but all the vets fees and death fees were still claimed and paid out for even though we weren't paying a premium. The horse was insured at the time of the visit.

I was/am with NFU.