Insurance Question.

NG1

New User
Visit site
If your horse had a previous insurance claim for Arthritic changes in both hocks and had treatment. Would the horses whole back legs be excluded from a future claim ? Specifically xrays of the fetlocks ?
Many Thanks

Shutterbug

Visit site
I think it depends on your policy to be honest.

I had Arion xrayed, scanned and treated for mild arthritic changes to his hock - he received cortisone injections - when the insurance paid out on the £800 claim I made, I got a letter from them to say that he is now covered for 12 months on that leg for any future claims for the same thing.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Depends on your insurer I think. Mine has spavins in both hocks and my insurance co have just excluded "bone spavins". The rest of his legs are still insured.

I can't see why they could exclude fetlocks if he hasn't had problems in them but you need to speak to your insurer and look closely at your policy wording.

brucea

Visit site
Insurers try to make the largest exclusion they reasonably can

You should expect that the hock will be excluded for arthitic changes, and ailments associated wiht the last claim - BUT should not be excluded for injuries (e.g. kick) nor the whole leg

Unfortunately this is not a customer friendly industry on the whole, and you have to argue your case.

NG1

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your answers. Going in to more details I suspect it is possible that my boy could have Arthritic changes to his back fetlocks as well, which never presented themselves when I originally claimed for his hocks two years ago. I was wondering if as it could be another Arthritc condition if they will not cover it as it is on the same legs? or indeed any Arthritic condition relating to him :confused:

I have not spoken to my insurance company as yet I only the mere mention of an aliment in a conversation and its all written on his file and will be used in the future.:rolleyes:

applecart14

Visit site
I would have thought they would treat each leg separately and each joint within the leg separately.

For instance my horse had n/s fore bony spur on coffin joint. Treated one with corticosteriod and sorted. Insurance put exclusion on all three bones in all four feet of horse. Vet rang to complain to insurance and this was reduced to coffin joint n/s fore only as it should have been in the start.

asommerville

Visit site
my horse pulled a muscle in her back and as a reuslt was lame on a front leg, the insurance excluded that but i asked the vet to do an insurance vetting and once that was done they included it again.

TequilaMist

Visit site
I had a horse that had bone spavin it was only one hock that appearred to be bothering her but as (vet sai) bone spavin is usually bilateral so both hock excluded for bonespavin.
You would need to look at small print in policy as sure mine also excluded anything that could be directly attributed to the original injury/illness claimed for.

Cello_song

Visit site
I began an insurance claim in December for arthritic changes in the hocks. Then in May he was diagnosed with arthritic changes in both front pasterns. My insurance company have lumped this all together as 'multi-site osteoarthritis'. On my renewal,they've excluded all arthritic conditions. So you might be covered for the fetlocks if its not arthritis, but if it is another arthritic problem you might not be since you had a claim 2 years ago. It might be worth a phone call to the insurance company!

xx

galaxy

Visit site
If you're with the NFU you'll probably be ok. They don't do blanket exclusions. If your vet states it's an unrelated condition you will be ok.