Insurance when travelling 16.3 horse in HB506

emilyriddell

New User
Visit site
Hi I am looking at buying a new horse and have seen a 16.3 that could be a good buy, however my trailer is an Ifor Williams HB506 which states that it is suitable for 2 horses up to 16.2. Assuming the 16.3 would actually fit, does anyone know where would I stand with insurance if there was ever an accident?
Thanks

scrumpygus

Visit site
I dont know 100% but trailers give recommended heights not compulsory limits - im sure ther arent any laws or stipulations stating you cant carry a horse 1 inch higher on the withers. My 16'1 horse is bigger overall other than withers than my 16'3 so it would be open to so much controversy if they did put legal height limits on horses in trailers.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The only way you will get a definitive answer is to contact your insurers. It matters little what we all may think, they are the people who will have to or may not have to payout in event of any claim so definately phone them.

foraday

Visit site
Agree with Toby.

In this day and age if an insurance company can 'wiggle' out of a claim they will.

I have found it is always BEST to be up front with your insurance company at all times. I have told my providers NFU every step of the way about anything (yep guess I am too honest) but then their underwriting team have been great with me and I have had some extensive claims!