Insurance

Welly

Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone compared the personal liability insurance cover that you get with BHS Gold membership to the cover that they get for personal liability with their insurance company eg pet plan or NFU. It seems to me that the cover is better with the BHS and the premium is lower, plus you get the additional benefits of BHS membership. Any thoughts or disadvantages?

Spring

Visit site
Would be interested to read any thoughts on this too as have just signed up to a gold membership and am currently having a look through quotes as am wanting to change my insurer. Only joined on sunday so haven't had chance to read all the small print yet! X

Geraldine

Visit site
I've just popped in to ask more or less the same thing!

My horse's insurance is due for renewal and it turns out that now he is a veteran (16 - really, in this day and age???!) he is insured for bog all on renewal - fractures and superficial wounds only. Not even Colic cover (should have never left Pet Plan. Grrr). We're happy hackers - once a week in winter if we're lucky so we're not doing anything adventurous.

I'm seriously thinking of upping my BHS membership to Gold (currently Silver) for P.L. cover and maybe taking out Rider Insurance and leaving it at that.

As for Bob, my thinking is this:

Broken leg - game over anyway. :(

Colic surgery - at almost 17 would I put him through it? I know it's young really but he is no good at box rest - it totally stresses him being in all day when it's too icy to go out and that is with company that he can reach from his stable.

Anything else I could Credit Card. My renewal has dropped the Vets Fee cover to £1500.00 with a £3000.00 per annum max so I could pay by card and just move to 0% deals until it's cleared.

I too would be interested to hear people's opinions on this.

Vanner

Visit site
The BHS refer to this as an "add on" insurance, ie, they will only cover a claim if they really are the last resort. You will need to ensure that you don't have liability insurance anywhere else .. and bear in mind that your home insurance will also cover you for liability in some instances, because if you do have it anywhere else and then try to make a claim with BHS they will simply say you have to use the "proper" insurance rather than them.

Free insurance it may be .. good insurance is probably ain't. What do they say, nothing is free in this world!!!

Vanner

Visit site
I've just popped in to ask more or less the same thing!

My horse's insurance is due for renewal and it turns out that now he is a veteran (16 - really, in this day and age???!) he is insured for bog all on renewal - fractures and superficial wounds only. Not even Colic cover (should have never left Pet Plan. Grrr). We're happy hackers - once a week in winter if we're lucky so we're not doing anything adventurous.

I'm seriously thinking of upping my BHS membership to Gold (currently Silver) for P.L. cover and maybe taking out Rider Insurance and leaving it at that.

As for Bob, my thinking is this:

Broken leg - game over anyway. :(

Colic surgery - at almost 17 would I put him through it? I know it's young really but he is no good at box rest - it totally stresses him being in all day when it's too icy to go out and that is with company that he can reach from his stable.

Anything else I could Credit Card. My renewal has dropped the Vets Fee cover to £1500.00 with a £3000.00 per annum max so I could pay by card and just move to 0% deals until it's cleared.

I too would be interested to hear people's opinions on this.

oh and .. veteran cover is a standard cover for all insurers, although the age of the horse may change (ie some may not apply it until the horse is 17 or 18). However, if you have been insured for some time it is worth talking to your insurer as they will sometimes maintain the higher cover (ie non veteran) for a few more years - it will cost in premium, but at least it is an option.

Personally speaking, veteran cover isn't worth the paper it is written on ... I had neither of my old folk insured in the end.

Geraldine

Visit site
I know that cover drops for Veterans but I didn't expect the company I work for to sell me up the river totally!

I rang NFU this morning (for a comparable quote) and the lady I was talking to asked if Bob was 'just 16 or has he been 16 for a while'. ??? 16 is 16 no matter when his birthday was! Her tone changed when I said he's almost 17. :rolleyes:

Spring

Visit site
Unless ive read my renewal wrong my insurers class 13 as veteran (which mine will be this year) hence looking for a new policy! They not got the best rep but haven't had any issues with them previously myself but was surprised at this! BHS seems to be linked with SEIB so I was planning on giving them a call at the weekend for advice :)

eggs

Visit site
I am a member of British Dressage and get personal liability cover for all my horses whether they are registered with BD or not. It's saved me quite a bit of money off my NFU insurance.

Geraldine

Visit site
Unless ive read my renewal wrong my insurers class 13 as veteran (which mine will be this year) hence looking for a new policy! They not got the best rep but haven't had any issues with them previously myself but was surprised at this! BHS seems to be linked with SEIB so I was planning on giving them a call at the weekend for advice :)

I can't remember if it was SEIB or KBIS I looked at online but one of them said they would only quote up to 12!!!

Nats

Visit site
There are several companies now that will take on a new horse over 16 for both illness and injury. I changed to KBIS on full cover when my horse was 20! Cover for older horses is getting better and better so it's worth shopping around but I know some of the companies I looked at would only quote by phone...try Petplan, Shearwater, KBIS or SEIB. My first claim in 17 years was for a seemingly innocuous check ligament injury that ended up costing over £3000, and I was glad I had insurance because I could afford to give my horse the best treatment rather than just box rest.

Last edited:

Geraldine

Visit site
There are several companies now that will take on a new horse over 16 for both illness and injury. I changed to KBIS on full cover when my horse was 20! Cover for older horses is getting better and better so it's worth shopping around but I know some of the companies I looked at would only quote by phone...try Petplan, Shearwater, KBIS or SEIB. My first claim in 17 years was for a seemingly innocuous check ligament injury that ended up costing over £3000, and I was glad I had insurance because I could afford to give my horse the best treatment rather than just box rest.

I'll be making a few phone calls tomorrow then. Thanks for the heads up. :)