Insuring horse over £10K? Recommendations

katiejaye

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good, comprehensive and reasonably priced insurer for a horse over 10k? Also is it standard to have leg x-rays done in order to insure a horse over this price (he has had a 5 stage vetting)? If so how much does this normally cost? Some insurers seem to request this as standard.

knightsbridge

Visit site
Hi

My horse is insured for 12k with AmTrust Equine, on their competition horse policy. Its a policy which covers death , vets fees and loss of use, and the usual additional extras such as third party and personal accident if you dont have it through BE or BD etc.

They also cover your membership so if your horse injures itself just after you have paid it for the year, and your horse cannot compete for the rest of the season, they will pay your memebership.

I did have to provide xrays of both front feet and hocks but only because i had loss of use cover. So if you dont want loss of use and you go on their normal policy they shouldnt need xrays.

They are really helpful and friendly, and i saw a post on here a couple of days ago saying that they pay their claims really quickly too, so im quite happy!

mattilda

Visit site
Mine is insured with Petplan for 17k. I did not have to provide x rays as I have not covered him for loss of use. I have had to claim a couple of times for fairly minor issues and they have paid without any problem each time. Not the cheapest but imo you get what you pay for.

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
Thanks Knightsbridge, I have just been on there and insured my horse and trailer - very reasonable!
grin.gif