Insuring veteran horses

AGAGE

Visit site
Following having a hefty vet bill for the dog, I would like to re-insure Ted who is 18 years old with arthritis in hocks.

Can anyone recommend an insurer for veterans that cover for vets bills?

Ted was previously insured with E &L insurance but they would only cover him for accidental visible external injury- and therefore would not pay out when he needed treatment for his arthritic hocks.

I decided to cancel the policy as the excess was £150 and after speaking to their help line it amounted that they would only pay out for cuts and scratches as these are visibly external, any tendon injuries etc wouldn't be covered!

Have looked at many other insurers and they too will only pay for visible external injuries. I know veterans are more likely to have ongoing problems like arthritis etc, but it seems a bit unfair that most places will only insure for accidental visible external injury and no illnesses or internal injuries.

I have found that petplan offer insurance for injury only on veteran horses- it stated they would pay for treatment, diagnostics etc of an injury- not specifying that it has to be an external injury.

However, I'm still assuming that, colic , COPD, arthritis etc are not covered as they would come under illness which they won't cover for.

Can anyone recommend an insurer for veteran horses that covers as much as possible vets wise?

Thus far petplan seem to offer the most, but have used them in the past with our younger horse that died suddenly and they were really bad at paying out., it took months and they suspected us of killing our own horse- which was terrible given we totally devastated and were in shock at his sudden death. He was only 6. We had also taken him straight to Newmarket for treatment on our vets recommendation! So not a fan of petplan but then don't know of any other options for Ted.

Obviously, I'm aware that no insurer will pay for his arthritis as this is ongoing.

Any recommendations will be appreciated!

tedster

Visit site
Hi

Only company I know that will offer FULL cover till 25yrs is Petplan ... not the veteran plan but the normal Horse insurance if you insure with them before your horses 20th birthday.

palomino_pony

Visit site
My veteran in with petplan.I switched to them when she was 18. You can take out extra vet cover but now she is over 21 it is accident only. Only 1 stange thing- she was insured in their highest group as it contained hunting. Now she is retired mostly, I called up to down-grade groups and the lady asked my why..It didn't change the premium!?! So she is still insured for group 1 activities including arab racing, BE etc - Crazy!!

Mickeymoo

Visit site
We are insured with NFU, just the normal insuance ie, not veteran. they have stated this year that its just accident which is fine. Shiney doesn't do cuts or grazes, he only ever does the full on hospital treatments so its well worth having.

tedster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My veteran in with petplan.I switched to them when she was 18. You can take out extra vet cover but now she is over 21 it is accident only. Only 1 stange thing- she was insured in their highest group as it contained hunting. Now she is retired mostly, I called up to down-grade groups and the lady asked my why..It didn't change the premium!?! So she is still insured for group 1 activities including arab racing, BE etc - Crazy!!

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason the price doesnt change on a veteran plan is its a set plan and price so changing the activity group doesnt effect the price.

HollyB66

Visit site
Petplan was the only insurance company worth going with for our new 17 year old.

We have an existing policy with them for our Lab and they have always been very good at paying out - thankfully
smile.gif

cbmcts

Visit site
I insured my 18 yo with PetPlan when they started offering full cover for up to 25 yo AS LONG AS they are insured before their 20th birthday. I have to say that they have been very good so far because a couple of months after starting the policy the pony went lame (suspected navicular but actually a hole in his tendon) and they have paid £3k so far - and counting!

BTW, if you go through Quidco you can also get money back - £30 IIRC
smile.gif

PStarfish

Visit site
KBIS will insure all accident and illness at any age. They would however exclude any pre-existing conditions so your existing arthritis wouldn't be covered.