Integrating a new pony

Groom Mum

Visit site
Hi
Could I get some advice please?
My two ponies who are very close to each other and have lived alone together since November are going to get another pony in their company. So should I put them in the same field but put him ( new one) the other side of the electric fence? I don't want to just put him in with my two as my older one can be a bit of a bully and possessive. Can I slowly do this and maybe when they are comfortable I can put him in with the other two. The other thing is he gets stables at night. My two have a shelter but will be able to wander up to his stable door in the night. Shall I cordon that off a bit too so they can't ?
Thanks in advance.

sunshine100*

Visit site
Hi I would def tape off the stable area so he can relax without hearing them moving about at night-I would also tape off a section of field so they can see and touch each other but able to move away if things get heated! Why does one pony have to be stabled?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi
Could I get some advice please?
My two ponies who are very close to each other and have lived alone together since November are going to get another pony in their company. So should I put them in the same field but put him ( new one) the other side of the electric fence? I don't want to just put him in with my two as my older one can be a bit of a bully and possessive. Can I slowly do this and maybe when they are comfortable I can put him in with the other two. The other thing is he gets stables at night. My two have a shelter but will be able to wander up to his stable door in the night. Shall I cordon that off a bit too so they can't ?
Thanks in advance.
Speaking from my experiance when my mare sustained a fractures splint bone for being turned out into an existing group. We always put in an adjacent field for a week any new horse, then intro into half the current field at one end and putting with one of the group members and add one new one each day till the last day when one left we leave the middle gate open so we have one group. I would never put a new horse into an established group. Nearly loosing my mare and surgery on her leg was enough of a wakeup call for me.

Groom Mum

Visit site
The pony goes into the stable because he's a ridden pony who's always been stables at night. My other two are rescue ponies who are quite feral and will not go into a stable. Although they love their shelter. But they have to be able to get in and out when they want.