Intelligent Worming??

whiteflower

Visit site
yes i have heard of them, i dont use them although i know people who have and havent been impressed by what i have observed.

sarahwebb

New User
Visit site
yes i have heard of them, i dont use them although i know people who have and havent been impressed by what i have observed.

Really? That's interesting. They claim to have an affiliation with the University of Liverpool in various places on their website but apparently the University have nothing to do with them and are extremely annoyed about the false claims.
I have been told that their programs are costly and complicated.

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I'm interested in this as well. My girls just moved to a new field with one other where they use this. Not completely convinced by the claims but will go with it for a while and see what happens. As theres only two and they're poo picked daily hopefully it'll be fine :/

Hurricanelady

Visit site
I use them, I find them very good and design and manage an individual program for each of my 5 horses, who range in age from 2 to 20. The program is based on a risk assessment for each horse, based on the pasture management, each horse's age and relevant risk areas (e.g. when the youngsters were foals they had higher risk profiles from certain types of worms); and the history that is built up from the worm counting. Yes it's possibly a bit more expensive than doing worm counts yourself and buying the wormers, but not that much and I can leave it all to them to manage, worm count kits and wormers arrive in the post on time for each horse and all I have to do is administer them. As the risk profile decreases and a successful history of 0/low worm counts is built up, the amount of wormers (and therefore cost) is reduced. I always still have IW send me tape wormers for each horse twice a year as those don't get picked up on a worm count.

The important thing is the approach (targeted worming based on risk profile and horse history), whichever suitably qualified and suitably laboratory equipped (it should be a lab with sufficient quality equipment/knowledge to do the worm counts properly) company you use to do it. This is the approach that the worming manufacturers and vets are strongly advising horse owners to use to avoid the very worrying problem of increasing wormer resistance - not the historical approach of worming every horse on the yard every 6 weeks or so regardless of risk/worm infestation profile.

lottiepony

Visit site
I use them to and have no complaints, for me it's so convenient as like Hurricanelady says everything just turns up in the post. Very efficient too as sent off samples Monday and had my result email yesterday afternoon. Plus the cost is spread over the whole year so you don't really notice a little going out each month.