INTERESTING ARTICLE FROM THE WOKINGHAM TIMES

BBH

Visit site
The problem is that the majority of motorists are completely ignorant about the needs of horses and assume that anything on the road is completely safe ie another form of transport.

missfitz50

Visit site
Totally agree and sadly, like many others in the country, we are losing access to off road riding in this area, particularly with the building of new large housing estates etc. we are left without a lot of choice as to whether we want to be on the road or not!

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
I live and ride in that area and the article is spot on. The main problem is the speed in which cars drive on country roads. It's utterly ridiculous and everyone is always in such a hurry.

There are less and less safe places to ride in what was once a rural area. Incomers are the worst for inconsiderate and selfish driving.

Then you get the stupid ignorant responses such as 'ride round a field then' we, as riders have as much right to be on the road as anyone else.

Rana

Visit site
Very interesting missfitz. Interesting comments at the bottom too - the usual "selfish riders should stay off the roads and ride round fields" stuff. I don't think people understand that you can't just go into a random field and ride round, and that the fields don't actually link to one another. At least it's raising awareness though, which can only be a good thing :)

Clarew22

Visit site
Can't believe drivers actually think we want to ride on the roads, I certainly wouldn't venture onto the roads if there was any other option :rolleyes:

On another note as a driver it makes me really mad when I wait patiently then pass slow and wide, and the rider can't be bothered thank me, if it makes me angry then what must the non-horsey drivers think :eek:

I think in general, society has lost its tolerance and humility :(

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
What a sign of the times. Everyone seems in such a rush today. I grew up in Wokingham in the sixties, and I was able to ride the roads in these areas with more or less complete safety. Used to go for miles in those days, and I can honestly say the drivers we met were always courteous and friendly, and were always greeted with a smile and a "thank you".
It certainly doesn't appear to be the same place I grew up in now. Such a shame.

Shantara

Visit site
I thank 99% of drivers. The 1% I don't thank have wooshed past me so fast, or been such a **** that I think they deserve the finger, not a thank you.

It's very very rare to see anyone slowing down on the dangerous stretch of road I have to ride along, purely because we have permission to ride on the path and I guess they think if we're on the path, we're out of 'spooking range'. No so!!

It's meant to be 40mph along the stretch of road, mentioned above, however I see people doing 60+ and probably faster!

I think all the riders at my yard are good and we're very good at wearing hi-viz and very good at thanking. We've had that drilled into our skulls time and time again.