Interesting blog about hunting

MisterMole

Visit site
Fox_Hunter, I know this will amaze you but there IS hunting outside the UK. I was referring to hunting whales or tigers or rhinos etc. Having said that, when otter numbers sharply declined in the UK it was hunters who carried on killing them, justifying their actions with exactly the same drivel we hear every day on forums like this.

As for the fallen stock aspect to hunts, I'm happy to say I have no problem with it and, as far as I'm aware, this activity hasn't been banned. I hope that answers your question!

CARREG

Visit site
"......when otter numbers sharply declined in the UK it was hunters who carried on killing them, justifying their actions with exactly the same drivel we hear every day on forums like this......"

Check your facts Moley, Otter hunters stopped hunting otters of their own accord when they [the hunters] noticed the numbers were dwindling............Carreg

MisterMole

Visit site
Absolute rubbish. Once otter numbers started to fall hunters insisted that they would carry on hunting them - in much the same way that fanatics today like Aegit bang on about staghunting. If I have time tomorrow I'll dig out the official internal correspondence from the pre-cursor of the CA in which the hunting "leaders" declare their intention to carry on killing otters, despite public opposition.

In the end, of course, the overwhelming case against killing the rapidly dwindling population of otters shamed even hunters into a craven U-turn.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
An interesting take on economics for sure.

Fallen stock collection hasn't been banned for sure, but do you really imagine that it is a financially viable service? In the wake of recent legislation designed to control disease spread there was a collapse in the products deriving from the knacker industry. As a result hunts' fallen stock schemes which had just about broke even, found themselves facing the increased costs of disposing of what they couldn't feed. Some ceased the service, others subsidised it heavily and invested in expensive incinerators.

The most recent legislation required stringent improvements to facilities and incinerators which again cost more money. The charges made by hunts compare most favourably with commercial knackers. However this only usually covers running costs of fuel and maintenance. The hunt takes on the bill for staffing as a loss.

If the Hunting ban continues and subscribers drift or the ban is tightened to prevent many of the loopholes currently utilised then there will simply not be enough funding to cover the loss making service, regardless of the benefit to farmers. Therefore fallen stock services face closure and then farmers will be forced to use the nearest knacker.

Don't take the flesh round provided by hunts for granted!

Fox_Hunter1

Visit site
So why didnt you state that you were writing your post, everyone on here is talking about hunting in this country.I don't know the facts/or really care about hunting outside the UK so i dont want to debate it because it doesnt affect me and nor do i do it.

Regards to fallen stock, no you didnt really answer my question because your failed to take on broad that FOX hunts operate taking fallen stock in(maybe a few harrier and beagle packs). To my knowledge, no DRAG or BLOOD hound kennels pick up flesh so without fox hound kennels farmers wud be in the [****].